RE: [dallasaudioclub] Re: New poll for dallasaudioclub

  • Johno Kantz
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 21, 2007
      I've been a member for a year or two, but I have only attended one meeting.
      I joined to try and learn more about gear, maybe find a source to purchase
      vinyl & vintage gear in good condition, find people who can service vintage
      gear, and get general good tips for getting the most out of my vinyl. I
      felt a little out of place at the one meeting I went to because I'm
      significantly younger than most of the members in the group and I don't have
      a whole lot in the way of experience or great gear, so I didn't have a whole
      bunch to talk about. I was afraid people were apprehensive because they
      might have just thought I was hitting them up for shopping advice. Sorry if
      anybody remembers me and remembers me being annoying.

      You guys listen at higher dB levels than I do, too :P.

      I'd still like to come to some more meetings, though.

      I would like to host meetings, but it's just impossible since I have a tiny
      place and a roommate who wouldn't appreciate it one bit. Maybe one of these
      days when I'm a real adult and have a house... I'll remember to bring beer
      next time, though, if that's any consolation.

      See what you�re getting into�before you go there
      http://newlivehotmail.com/?ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_viral_preview_0507
    • ed sheffield
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 22, 2007
        Hi Guys,

        Scatter-shooting....

        Folks, we should find a way to make an active greater
        Dallas audio society work.

        The metroplex is very large both in population and
        area-getting around is difficult. Large meetings
        yield little listening-which is a bummer for many.

        I will be willing to host a get together when my home
        remodeling project is complete after Sept. 15.

        I like the blending of diy and commercial high end
        gear.

        Might it be possible to gather email lists from the
        disparate audio groups in NTX (or asking them to send
        an email to their respective groups) sending a one
        time email to all about forming a diverse audio group?

        Thanks,

        Ed

        --- Johno Kantz <inkmo@...> wrote:

        > I've been a member for a year or two, but I have
        > only attended one meeting.
        > I joined to try and learn more about gear, maybe
        > find a source to purchase
        > vinyl & vintage gear in good condition, find people
        > who can service vintage
        > gear, and get general good tips for getting the most
        > out of my vinyl. I
        > felt a little out of place at the one meeting I went
        > to because I'm
        > significantly younger than most of the members in
        > the group and I don't have
        > a whole lot in the way of experience or great gear,
        > so I didn't have a whole
        > bunch to talk about. I was afraid people were
        > apprehensive because they
        > might have just thought I was hitting them up for
        > shopping advice. Sorry if
        > anybody remembers me and remembers me being
        > annoying.
        >
        > You guys listen at higher dB levels than I do, too
        > :P.
        >
        > I'd still like to come to some more meetings,
        > though.
        >
        > I would like to host meetings, but it's just
        > impossible since I have a tiny
        > place and a roommate who wouldn't appreciate it one
        > bit. Maybe one of these
        > days when I'm a real adult and have a house... I'll
        > remember to bring beer
        > next time, though, if that's any consolation.

        > (Yahoo! ID required)
        >
        > mailto:dallasaudioclub-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

      • oscar_in_fw
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 22, 2007
          Okay, My 2 cents worth. I thought I knew what I was doing trying work my way into a hi-
          end system mostly on my own. I found out differently when I found the Dallas Audio Club
          and North Texas Audio Jam (or whatever it's called nowadays). Definite learning curve;
          now I'm still in "dreaming of an All-tube system" mode. I'd support meetings just to
          listen to different setups and acquire other viewpoints.

          I've only hosted one (1) meeting which turned into a rather large affair with 35 people
          coming over bringing a multitude of DIY projects which we set up (if only for a short time)
          in the rather large (if acoustically-challenged) living room. My system is geared more
          towards 2-channel and Multichannel SACD/DVD-A and Hi-Def Home Theater with mostly
          Solid State components; too bright for many of Y'all; even the 2-channel tubed Preamp I'm
          experimenting with. Also, no vinyl (yet).

          I'd be glad to host another such large meeting but you'd have to bring your own tubed
          equipment/systems and vinyl setups, I don't have a 2nd system setup (yet), but I still have
          a large, mostly empty living room to fill up and now an empty bedroom for a 3rd setup
          and room to possibly shoe in a 4th setup. The downside is I'm on the West side of Fort
          Worth so it would have to be a once in a blue moon affair. It'll be a catered affair as well;
          last time we had to last minute order up seven (7) large pizzas on top of the food I had
          originally prepared and we finished all of it (I even made a modest profit).

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 7, 2007
            dallasaudioclub group:

            What do you think would be the maximum number of folks
            at a gathering and it still be about the music?

            o 3
            o 7
            o 10
            o 15