RE: [dallasaudioclub] Re: This Club: New management/ownership

  • Dennis Boyle
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 20, 2007

      Hopefully more DAC members will participate in this discussion and the postings will help the group reach a consensus that satisfies the needs of a majority of the active members. I can’t believe that the roster shows a membership of over 90 members.

      I thought I would at least share my own experiences participating in the club. Keep in mind I am in the business, but to be honest, I am not interested in orders from DAC members. I am interested in two things. Using their ears to help me refine the products and to do some serious listening to components and Music.

      DAC members were a big help in refining the Axiom Amp design. Once again thanks to all who participated. I have lost count of how many new artists and new albums I discovered. It wouldn’t have happened without the listening sessions and look forward to discovering more.

      To be honest I can do without the large group meetings. I went to a meeting at Bob Spence’s house and took a friend along that was interested in joining the club to listen to some Music. There were a lot of people and a lot of equipment and Music I never got to listen to. The agenda seemed to be more about talking about audio than listening to it. We stayed about 30 minutes and took off.  That’s the last meeting I went to.

      Since then I have accepted invitations to weekend listening sessions from DAC members when I could. Smaller group of people, in some cases a break for food or none at all. Then we stopped talking and listened to Music. In one listening session the group grew to some number I don’t remember and discussion trumped the Music.

      I guess what I am saying is it might not be the number of meetings you have or how many meetings take place at different locations. It what members want the agenda of the meeting to be. I don’t care about how many different pieces of equipment there will be or whether there will be munchies. I would like to know whether we will do some serious listening.

      Regards,

      Dennis Boyle

      Chimera Laboratories

      Website: http://www.chimeralabs.com/

      Website: http://home.att.net/~chimeraone/index.html

      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 20, 2007
        Tom: For whatever reason. Probably my own "old fart" brain, I never understood you to offer holding a meeting. My bad and sorry.
        Dennis: In the beginning, I wanted the club to be about listening to music, not gear necessarily. That seemed to tick off several folks in one of my early meetings.
        Frank: You are correct sir. The club rule has always been... the host decides on the format. Music, gear, selling/swapping, whatever. After all, it's his (or her) house. The host makes the rules.
        Group: Hey, I've got dialog flowing now!
        Group: This group was meant to be about vinyl, CD and all other formats!  Listening and sharing music.

             I've learned a lot since I started the club.
        One: With 31 people in your house, it's not about the music any more. Plus the cat was crazy for weeks. Two of those was enough.
        Two: For several months, I asked for people to have a meeting and all I got was dead silence in this group. Except finally for Frank and Russ. Maybe that's when things started to go sour. At least for me.
        Three: For me, 10 or less at a meeting is as much as my house can hold and still be about the music. One reason I asked members to hold smaller gatherings and report on new music, etc.  That never happened.
        Four: I'm old and tired and am willing to turn over or share the group with one or more younger leaders who want to try new ideas and things.
          jim...
      • jktdet
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 20, 2007
          Jim,

          I am old too. I really guys like Blair and the others will help.
          Thanks for bringing up Frank... he was the guy who hosted the last two
          meets I went to. I like the music aspect... heck I would probably not
          know who Katie Melua was had I not attended one of these meetings. I
          use her cds to voice crossovers with. I like the technical side too
          but I mostly just enjoy people who want to save stereo hifi and
          realize that ipods are great for airplanes and basically nothing else.

          I would love to host a meeting and hope you are up to attending.