Re: This Club: New management/ownership

  • blrchapman
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 20, 2007
      Thank you for this opinion and offer,

      I agree that Fred and Jim are both very assertive and aggressive
      towards the needs of the audio community. Granted I haven't done
      anything through this organization, I have assembled several
      successful DIY events with people driving up from as far as Austin to
      attend. It is always a pleasure to have these events and the
      reoccurance of guests obviously shows enjoyment during their visits.
      As far as loving music, I think we are all in agreement there. I
      guess that I'm trying to get at is that it was a poorly stated post
      to try to discern between DIY and Hi End audio enthisiast. I was
      merely trying to see who posteed on behalf of each type of audio
      enthusiast. I eagerly look forward to making things happen here and
      will do my best to introduce some neat and challenging topics
      tailored towards everyone whether it is source material or distortion
      figures in various vacuum tubes. I think the idea brought forth about
      meeting once every month or two in person to dicuss such issues if
      not just for the sake of having a drink is a good idea as well. Shows
      support and some form of group interest.

      Thank you,

      Blair

      --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Russell" <tomjoy@...>
      wrote:

      > The small number of posts making any response concerning this
      matter likely
      > says more, and thus brings the DAC situation more into focus, than
      any other
      > thing that might be said. Nevertheless, after mulling over this for
      a while,
      > I decided to post on this subject.
      >
      > First off, a large word of thanks goes out to Jim, and to Fred, for
      > possessing a lot of initiative and showing a lot of dedication in
      their
      > efforts to the purpose of creating a viable hifi guy group in our
      area. No
      > matter what either of them might say, they are the movers and
      shakers here
      > abouts. As far as I can tell from my view, without their efforts
      there would
      > be no moving, nor any shaking, going on at all. I have been
      involved in some
      > aspect of high end/DIY audio for many decades, all in the D/FW
      area. I have
      > seen several attempts at establishing an audio based group over the
      years
      > and none of these attemps have led to anything that could be called
      > successful. Maybe there is something endemic to this area?
      >
      > Regarding the thoughts, "Heck I feel you're not a full DAC member
      until your
      > have hosted a audio meet some kind." and " if you have never hosted
      a meet
      > before then I feel you have no input or have paid your dues.", if
      this
      > criteria is to be used, this thread is a useless exercise as the
      three or
      > four few who have hosted can work this out amongst themselves. My
      thoughts
      > would be more along the lines that this club has been, if anything,
      too
      > exclusionary and should do, if anything, whatever is reasonable to
      encourage
      > participation across as wide a front as could possibly be considered
      > relative to quality audio reproduction. It is obvious that the
      preponderance
      > of responses to this thread have been from DIY guys.
      >
      > I've always assumed that the DAC/Bottlehead guys and the North
      Texas Audio
      > Jam guys were, respectively, the Audio Karma guys and the Audio
      Circle guys.

> [...]
      is on
      > those of us who have interest in the viability of the 2 channel
      music system
      > to demonstrate the value of having such a system to the rest of the
      world.
      > In this regard, it is obvious that we have failed.
      >
      > On a personal note about hosting, I volunteered, in discussions
      with both
      > Jim and Fred, to host audio meetings. Those of you who know me know
      that I
      > am a music guy. All of this equipment stuff is, to my view,
      strictly there
      > to be in support of the musical statement and the emotional music
      > connection. That said, I do have some good stuff. What I had to
      offer was a
      > place with sufficient space to accomodate a normally sized group,
      two
      > complete 2 channel systems [both of which are about as good
      sounding as you
      > will find anytime, anywhere], many 1000's of all sorts of
      recordings, chef
      > quality food, and a very flexible schedule. I also have a dedicated
      theater
      > area that could be available for use. Both of my 2 channel systems
      are fully
      > hard-wired; audio signal, power supply, and AC. My systems are not
      conducive
      > to moving different components in and out. In my home, I have only
      so much
      > space and it has required some specific planning so that everything
      will
      > have it's own place to be. In both conversations, it was decided
      that my
      > place was not good for an audio meeting. "These people want to
      change
      > components around." That was that. When one takes into account that
      some
      > people don't feel that they have sufficient space to host [should
      be able to
      > be worked out], some people feel that they don't have a sufficient
      level of
      > equipment quality to host [shouldn't matter], some people have
      family issues
      > that they feel preclude hosting, some people feel that they don't
      have
      > sufficient financial resources to host [should be able to be worked
      out],
      > etc., etc., and you add in the above paragraph, one can see that
      there are
      > practical problems, with regard to hosting, that need to be
      overcome.
      > Should be able to be worked out!
      >
      > All said, I continue to desire to get together with audio guys,
      particularly
      > music oriented audio guys, just about anytime. Our family is a late
      night to
      > early morning family and I have most every afternoon and evening

    • Ron Carlton
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 20, 2007
        There is another fairly active group in the DFW area: DFW_Hornheads
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DFW_Hornheads/ that shouldn't be
        overlooked. I have two complete systems with an empty room in which a
        third could be setup. I certainly have the means to host an event also.

        Ron
      • bearhifi
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 20, 2007
          Once again it does not matter if your DIY or commercial and this
          club has never cared what your preferences is. The rule has always
          been "Its your meeting / house and you can do as you please." If
          you want to only listen to music then that's your choice as long as
          you post your desires on the board. This has been a simple group of
          folks looking to have a beer and play around with audio gear. It's
          not high tech or commercial! That's it in a nut shell. But like I
          said if one wants to grow the club into something bigger and/or a
          different direction then I will try to support it.

          Regarding your comment "this club has been, if anything, too
          exclusionary." It has become exclusionary because only a hand full
          of folks actually hold meetings… If more people would volunteer then
          it would not be so exclusionary, we'd get a variety of perspectives
          and preferences, and maybe appeal to a broader audience…

          There should not be any more debates regarding DIY and non-DIY!
          It's not an issue and if you like and have audio gear of any kind
          then please feel free to share it with us over a beer (or wine, or
          tequila, or whatever)… It's that simple really…
        • jktdet
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 20, 2007

            > There should not be any more debates regarding DIY and non-DIY!
            > It's not an issue and if you like and have audio gear of any kind
            > then please feel free to share it with us over a beer (or wine, or
            > tequila, or whatever)… It's that simple really…

            Very well said... why don't we just have a meeting and see what
            happens. Personally I enjoy the chance to talk to other folks listen
            to a little new music. See what people's interests are etc...

            I will host a meet if anyone is game. I have the space and a system. I
            can also set things up for easy hook up of other gear.

            Dave
          • Dennis Boyle
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 20, 2007

              Hopefully more DAC members will participate in this discussion and the postings will help the group reach a consensus that satisfies the needs of a majority of the active members. I can’t believe that the roster shows a membership of over 90 members.

              I thought I would at least share my own experiences participating in the club. Keep in mind I am in the business, but to be honest, I am not interested in orders from DAC members. I am interested in two things. Using their ears to help me refine the products and to do some serious listening to components and Music.

              DAC members were a big help in refining the Axiom Amp design. Once again thanks to all who participated. I have lost count of how many new artists and new albums I discovered. It wouldn’t have happened without the listening sessions and look forward to discovering more.

              To be honest I can do without the large group meetings. I went to a meeting at Bob Spence’s house and took a friend along that was interested in joining the club to listen to some Music. There were a lot of people and a lot of equipment and Music I never got to listen to. The agenda seemed to be more about talking about audio than listening to it. We stayed about 30 minutes and took off.  That’s the last meeting I went to.

              Since then I have accepted invitations to weekend listening sessions from DAC members when I could. Smaller group of people, in some cases a break for food or none at all. Then we stopped talking and listened to Music. In one listening session the group grew to some number I don’t remember and discussion trumped the Music.

              I guess what I am saying is it might not be the number of meetings you have or how many meetings take place at different locations. It what members want the agenda of the meeting to be. I don’t care about how many different pieces of equipment there will be or whether there will be munchies. I would like to know whether we will do some serious listening.

              Regards,

              Dennis Boyle

              Chimera Laboratories

              Website: http://www.chimeralabs.com/

              Website: http://home.att.net/~chimeraone/index.html

              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 20, 2007
                Tom: For whatever reason. Probably my own "old fart" brain, I never understood you to offer holding a meeting. My bad and sorry.
                Dennis: In the beginning, I wanted the club to be about listening to music, not gear necessarily. That seemed to tick off several folks in one of my early meetings.
                Frank: You are correct sir. The club rule has always been... the host decides on the format. Music, gear, selling/swapping, whatever. After all, it's his (or her) house. The host makes the rules.
                Group: Hey, I've got dialog flowing now!
                Group: This group was meant to be about vinyl, CD and all other formats!  Listening and sharing music.

                     I've learned a lot since I started the club.
                One: With 31 people in your house, it's not about the music any more. Plus the cat was crazy for weeks. Two of those was enough.
                Two: For several months, I asked for people to have a meeting and all I got was dead silence in this group. Except finally for Frank and Russ. Maybe that's when things started to go sour. At least for me.
                Three: For me, 10 or less at a meeting is as much as my house can hold and still be about the music. One reason I asked members to hold smaller gatherings and report on new music, etc.  That never happened.
                Four: I'm old and tired and am willing to turn over or share the group with one or more younger leaders who want to try new ideas and things.
                  jim...
              • jktdet
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 20, 2007
                  Jim,

                  I am old too. I really guys like Blair and the others will help.
                  Thanks for bringing up Frank... he was the guy who hosted the last two
                  meets I went to. I like the music aspect... heck I would probably not
                  know who Katie Melua was had I not attended one of these meetings. I
                  use her cds to voice crossovers with. I like the technical side too
                  but I mostly just enjoy people who want to save stereo hifi and
                  realize that ipods are great for airplanes and basically nothing else.

                  I would love to host a meeting and hope you are up to attending.