Re: New poll for dallasaudioclub

  • blrchapman
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 20, 2007
      Thank you for the input guys, and I agree. I have never hosted an
      event, but I am fairly new and have co-hosted several fairly well
      organized DIY events in the metroplex. We typically have everything
      from cables to amps and even on occasion raw speaker drivers where we
      all just examine the motor stucture and the specs to better
      understand why they fit certain criteia and applications. This is the
      type of feedback I need to be able to evaluate a "step forward" in
      these events. As far as the post about needing a CD player. First,
      don't feel that your current system is not up to par, but rather a
      work in progress. Not everyone has $3,000.00 for a player. Ask some
      of us to bring a few players. I have a simple line stage that has
      three inputs on it and we can easily hook three players up at once to
      get critiques. Again, I am open and hope you all are willing to bring
      some opinions and suggestions forward.

      Thank you,

      Blair
      --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Rea"
      <my89_928gt@...> wrote:

      > Good point. More people need to be willing too host. That includes
      > me. I have never hosted nor gone to a meet as of yet. Mostly I
      don't
      > feal my system is up to par for such. But, but maybe I'm being an
      > idiot about that.
      > I will plan on hosting in a month or two, due to remodleing needing
      > to be wraped up and needing a CD player.
      >
      > Richard
      >

      > --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "bearhifi" <bear.hifi@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Ok now its time for my 2 cents if it's worth that…
      > >

      > > This club has NEVER been about DIY vs. high-end in anyway. One of
      > > the great things about our meets is that one house will have high-
      > > end and other would be DIY. Or in most cases it would have both…
      > > This club has pretty much only been a hand full of good friends
      with
      > > different audio taste getting together and showing off our stuff…
      > > That's all and I don't think anyone has every exited it to be
      more.

      > > The only real issue we have had is folks not hosting meetings!
      Some
      > > folks are not happy with total strangers showing up at their
      house,
      > > eating all their food then taking off to never host a party… some
      > > don't care. It appears it's the same folks that host time and time
      > > again and I think that's been the cause of the down fall… We need
      > > get folks that are already members to host meets that have never
      > > done so. Heck I feel you're not a full DAC member until your have
      > > hosted a audio meet some kind. But that's me…
      > >
      > > If everyone wants to change the entire outlook of the club then I
      > > will go along. However if you have never hosted a meet before
      then I
      > > feel you have no input or have paid your dues.
      > >
      > > Like I said this is my 2 cents... that's all…

    • bearhifi
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 20, 2007
        It doesn't matter what you have or don't have. As long as it's not a
        Bose Wave radio then its ok! You need a CD player… Trust me.
        Someone will bring one…

        Every meet I have gone too and hosted the guest have brought enough
        gear to make an entire system.

        --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "blrchapman" <blair_4@...>
        wrote:

> [...]
        > house,
        > > > eating all their food then taking off to never host a party…
        some
        > > > don't care. It appears it's the same folks that host time and
        time
        > > > again and I think that's been the cause of the down fall… We
        need
        > > > get folks that are already members to host meets that have
        never
        > > > done so. Heck I feel you're not a full DAC member until your
        have
        > > > hosted a audio meet some kind. But that's me…
        > > >
        > > > If everyone wants to change the entire outlook of the club
        then I
        > > > will go along. However if you have never hosted a meet before
        > then I
        > > > feel you have no input or have paid your dues.
        > > >
        > > > Like I said this is my 2 cents... that's all…

      • jktdet
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 20, 2007
          I joined back about 9 months ago, after attending an event in
          Denton. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I later attended another event also
          at the same home in Denton, very nice member as I recall. I will
          gladly host an event. I have hosted several DIY speaker events and
          am a development engineer who has in the past worked in R&D for a
          very large commercial HiFi company. I have designed numerous DIY
          loudspeakers and love HiFi in general. I have a nice system KT88 amp
          with gold lions, Lite audio DAC, Pioneer Elite SACD player and a lot
          of really nice loudspeakers and would gladly play host.

          I do agree that there is a real blur between DIY and high end HiFi.
          I have some very high end DIY speakers and know several who do. I
          consider them to be high end and HiFi. I enjoy designing tube gear
          and loudspeaker crossovers and have even designed drivers. I
          currently have a 3 way in my listening room that has a very flat
          response in to the 30s, amazing soundstage and detail and is very
          inexpensive to build. For less than $250/pr sans an enclosure it
          will rival loudspeakers costing $2500/pr or more. It is a great
          speaker for a tube amp with a really nice impedance profile and
          benign electrical phase angle.

          I personally think DIY folk tend to be less likely to buy into a lot
          of the snake oil in the HiFi market today, I know being an engineer
          I tend to be ever amazed at some of the claims but I don't think
          they discount true high end audio. Count me in as a host. I live
          just north of DFW airport so fairly centrally located.

          I also do loudspeaker crossover design for those interested in
          building their own loudspeakers. You have to be a little patient as
          I don't have a lot of time but if you give me a few weeks I usually
          can accommodate most anyone.

          Dave
        • kenjendaveaaron
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 21, 2007
            Ok my turn to weigh in. I have been a member of the DAC for the past
            2+ years. I originally joined to learn more about high end audio. Not
            only have I enjoyed meeting new people and socializing, I have learned
            a lot about audio in general. Our DAC meeting have been a tremendous
            learning experience for me. For example, five minutes with Fred has
            shown me things that would have taken awhile to figure out on my own.
            The DAC has been a very positive experience for me and I look forward
            to attending more meeting.

            At this point in my life I am unable to host a meeting. I have four
            kiddos (3 under the age of 6) and my home is simply not suited to
            multiple audio setups. But I am more than willing to furnish
            refreshments, setup, transport equipment, or pay a host for their
            time. If hosting a meeting is a requirement for membership I would
            gladly setup a meeting with maybe two system for review. But my home
            is smallish, and I have precious little partitions between rooms. In
            short, I guess I am saying the club should continue and I will support
            it in any way
            I can.

            I think things have gone a little stale because of the infrequency of
            meetings. I have enjoyed mostly the DIY discussions and discovering
            new artist and taste in music.

            dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com wrote:

            > dallasaudioclub group:
            >
            > Club Survey/Poll
            >
            > This survey is to help make your club better. The questions.
            > You can answer on the group are...
            > (1) Why did they join
            > (2) how they would like the DAC to be a resource to their needs
            > Since this is a poll and I'm not familiar with the format. Please
            have patience.
            > The Poll is below...
            > Are you interested in hosting a metting:
            >
            > o YES
            > o NO

            > web site listed above.
            >
            > Thanks!

          • Johno Kantz
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 21, 2007
              I've been a member for a year or two, but I have only attended one meeting.
              I joined to try and learn more about gear, maybe find a source to purchase
              vinyl & vintage gear in good condition, find people who can service vintage
              gear, and get general good tips for getting the most out of my vinyl. I
              felt a little out of place at the one meeting I went to because I'm
              significantly younger than most of the members in the group and I don't have
              a whole lot in the way of experience or great gear, so I didn't have a whole
              bunch to talk about. I was afraid people were apprehensive because they
              might have just thought I was hitting them up for shopping advice. Sorry if
              anybody remembers me and remembers me being annoying.

              You guys listen at higher dB levels than I do, too :P.

              I'd still like to come to some more meetings, though.

              I would like to host meetings, but it's just impossible since I have a tiny
              place and a roommate who wouldn't appreciate it one bit. Maybe one of these
              days when I'm a real adult and have a house... I'll remember to bring beer
              next time, though, if that's any consolation.

              See what you�re getting into�before you go there
              http://newlivehotmail.com/?ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_viral_preview_0507
            • ed sheffield
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 22, 2007
                Hi Guys,

                Scatter-shooting....

                Folks, we should find a way to make an active greater
                Dallas audio society work.

                The metroplex is very large both in population and
                area-getting around is difficult. Large meetings
                yield little listening-which is a bummer for many.

                I will be willing to host a get together when my home
                remodeling project is complete after Sept. 15.

                I like the blending of diy and commercial high end
                gear.

                Might it be possible to gather email lists from the
                disparate audio groups in NTX (or asking them to send
                an email to their respective groups) sending a one
                time email to all about forming a diverse audio group?

                Thanks,

                Ed

                --- Johno Kantz <inkmo@...> wrote:

                > I've been a member for a year or two, but I have
                > only attended one meeting.
                > I joined to try and learn more about gear, maybe
                > find a source to purchase
                > vinyl & vintage gear in good condition, find people
                > who can service vintage
                > gear, and get general good tips for getting the most
                > out of my vinyl. I
                > felt a little out of place at the one meeting I went
                > to because I'm
                > significantly younger than most of the members in
                > the group and I don't have
                > a whole lot in the way of experience or great gear,
                > so I didn't have a whole
                > bunch to talk about. I was afraid people were
                > apprehensive because they
                > might have just thought I was hitting them up for
                > shopping advice. Sorry if
                > anybody remembers me and remembers me being
                > annoying.
                >
                > You guys listen at higher dB levels than I do, too
                > :P.
                >
                > I'd still like to come to some more meetings,
                > though.
                >
                > I would like to host meetings, but it's just
                > impossible since I have a tiny
                > place and a roommate who wouldn't appreciate it one
                > bit. Maybe one of these
                > days when I'm a real adult and have a house... I'll
                > remember to bring beer
                > next time, though, if that's any consolation.

                > (Yahoo! ID required)
                >
                > mailto:dallasaudioclub-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              • oscar_in_fw
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 22, 2007
                  Okay, My 2 cents worth. I thought I knew what I was doing trying work my way into a hi-
                  end system mostly on my own. I found out differently when I found the Dallas Audio Club
                  and North Texas Audio Jam (or whatever it's called nowadays). Definite learning curve;
                  now I'm still in "dreaming of an All-tube system" mode. I'd support meetings just to
                  listen to different setups and acquire other viewpoints.

                  I've only hosted one (1) meeting which turned into a rather large affair with 35 people
                  coming over bringing a multitude of DIY projects which we set up (if only for a short time)
                  in the rather large (if acoustically-challenged) living room. My system is geared more
                  towards 2-channel and Multichannel SACD/DVD-A and Hi-Def Home Theater with mostly
                  Solid State components; too bright for many of Y'all; even the 2-channel tubed Preamp I'm
                  experimenting with. Also, no vinyl (yet).

                  I'd be glad to host another such large meeting but you'd have to bring your own tubed
                  equipment/systems and vinyl setups, I don't have a 2nd system setup (yet), but I still have
                  a large, mostly empty living room to fill up and now an empty bedroom for a 3rd setup
                  and room to possibly shoe in a 4th setup. The downside is I'm on the West side of Fort
                  Worth so it would have to be a once in a blue moon affair. It'll be a catered affair as well;
                  last time we had to last minute order up seven (7) large pizzas on top of the food I had
                  originally prepared and we finished all of it (I even made a modest profit).

                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 7, 2007
                    dallasaudioclub group:

                    What do you think would be the maximum number of folks
                    at a gathering and it still be about the music?

                    o 3
                    o 7
                    o 10
                    o 15