Re: New poll for dallasaudioclub

  • bearhifi
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 20, 2007
      Ok now its time for my 2 cents if it's worth that…

      This club has NEVER been about DIY vs. high-end in anyway. One of
      the great things about our meets is that one house will have high-
      end and other would be DIY. Or in most cases it would have both…
      This club has pretty much only been a hand full of good friends with
      different audio taste getting together and showing off our stuff…
      That's all and I don't think anyone has every exited it to be more.

      The only real issue we have had is folks not hosting meetings! Some
      folks are not happy with total strangers showing up at their house,
      eating all their food then taking off to never host a party… some
      don't care. It appears it's the same folks that host time and time
      again and I think that's been the cause of the down fall… We need to
      get folks that are already members to host meets that have never
      done so. Heck I feel you're not a full DAC member until your have
      hosted a audio meet some kind. But that's me…

      If everyone wants to change the entire outlook of the club then I
      will go along. However if you have never hosted a meet before then I
      feel you have no input or have paid your dues.

      Like I said this is my 2 cents... that's all…
    • Richard Rea
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 20, 2007
        Good point. More people need to be willing too host. That includes
        me. I have never hosted nor gone to a meet as of yet. Mostly I don't
        feal my system is up to par for such. But, but maybe I'm being an
        idiot about that.
        I will plan on hosting in a month or two, due to remodleing needing
        to be wraped up and needing a CD player.

        Richard

        --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "bearhifi" <bear.hifi@...>
        wrote:

        > Ok now its time for my 2 cents if it's worth that…
        >

        > This club has NEVER been about DIY vs. high-end in anyway. One of
        > the great things about our meets is that one house will have high-
        > end and other would be DIY. Or in most cases it would have both…
        > This club has pretty much only been a hand full of good friends with
        > different audio taste getting together and showing off our stuff…
        > That's all and I don't think anyone has every exited it to be more.
        >

        > The only real issue we have had is folks not hosting meetings! Some
        > folks are not happy with total strangers showing up at their house,
        > eating all their food then taking off to never host a party… some
        > don't care. It appears it's the same folks that host time and time
        > again and I think that's been the cause of the down fall… We need to
        > get folks that are already members to host meets that have never
        > done so. Heck I feel you're not a full DAC member until your have
        > hosted a audio meet some kind. But that's me…
        >
        > If everyone wants to change the entire outlook of the club then I
        > will go along. However if you have never hosted a meet before then I
        > feel you have no input or have paid your dues.
        >
        > Like I said this is my 2 cents... that's all…

      • blrchapman
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 20, 2007
          Thank you for the input guys, and I agree. I have never hosted an
          event, but I am fairly new and have co-hosted several fairly well
          organized DIY events in the metroplex. We typically have everything
          from cables to amps and even on occasion raw speaker drivers where we
          all just examine the motor stucture and the specs to better
          understand why they fit certain criteia and applications. This is the
          type of feedback I need to be able to evaluate a "step forward" in
          these events. As far as the post about needing a CD player. First,
          don't feel that your current system is not up to par, but rather a
          work in progress. Not everyone has $3,000.00 for a player. Ask some
          of us to bring a few players. I have a simple line stage that has
          three inputs on it and we can easily hook three players up at once to
          get critiques. Again, I am open and hope you all are willing to bring
          some opinions and suggestions forward.

          Thank you,

          Blair
          --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Rea"

          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 20, 2007
            It doesn't matter what you have or don't have. As long as it's not a
            Bose Wave radio then its ok! You need a CD player… Trust me.
            Someone will bring one…

            Every meet I have gone too and hosted the guest have brought enough
            gear to make an entire system.

            --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "blrchapman" <blair_4@...>
            wrote:

> [...]
            > house,
            > > > eating all their food then taking off to never host a party…
            some
            > > > don't care. It appears it's the same folks that host time and
            time
            > > > again and I think that's been the cause of the down fall… We
            need
            > > > get folks that are already members to host meets that have
            never
            > > > done so. Heck I feel you're not a full DAC member until your
            have
            > > > hosted a audio meet some kind. But that's me…
            > > >
            > > > If everyone wants to change the entire outlook of the club
            then I
            > > > will go along. However if you have never hosted a meet before
            > then I
            > > > feel you have no input or have paid your dues.
            > > >
            > > > Like I said this is my 2 cents... that's all…

          • jktdet
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 20, 2007
              I joined back about 9 months ago, after attending an event in
              Denton. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I later attended another event also
              at the same home in Denton, very nice member as I recall. I will
              gladly host an event. I have hosted several DIY speaker events and
              am a development engineer who has in the past worked in R&D for a
              very large commercial HiFi company. I have designed numerous DIY
              loudspeakers and love HiFi in general. I have a nice system KT88 amp
              with gold lions, Lite audio DAC, Pioneer Elite SACD player and a lot
              of really nice loudspeakers and would gladly play host.

              I do agree that there is a real blur between DIY and high end HiFi.
              I have some very high end DIY speakers and know several who do. I
              consider them to be high end and HiFi. I enjoy designing tube gear
              and loudspeaker crossovers and have even designed drivers. I
              currently have a 3 way in my listening room that has a very flat
              response in to the 30s, amazing soundstage and detail and is very
              inexpensive to build. For less than $250/pr sans an enclosure it
              will rival loudspeakers costing $2500/pr or more. It is a great
              speaker for a tube amp with a really nice impedance profile and
              benign electrical phase angle.

              I personally think DIY folk tend to be less likely to buy into a lot
              of the snake oil in the HiFi market today, I know being an engineer
              I tend to be ever amazed at some of the claims but I don't think
              they discount true high end audio. Count me in as a host. I live
              just north of DFW airport so fairly centrally located.

              I also do loudspeaker crossover design for those interested in
              building their own loudspeakers. You have to be a little patient as
              I don't have a lot of time but if you give me a few weeks I usually
              can accommodate most anyone.

              Dave
            • kenjendaveaaron
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 21, 2007
                Ok my turn to weigh in. I have been a member of the DAC for the past
                2+ years. I originally joined to learn more about high end audio. Not
                only have I enjoyed meeting new people and socializing, I have learned
                a lot about audio in general. Our DAC meeting have been a tremendous
                learning experience for me. For example, five minutes with Fred has
                shown me things that would have taken awhile to figure out on my own.
                The DAC has been a very positive experience for me and I look forward
                to attending more meeting.

                At this point in my life I am unable to host a meeting. I have four
                kiddos (3 under the age of 6) and my home is simply not suited to
                multiple audio setups. But I am more than willing to furnish
                refreshments, setup, transport equipment, or pay a host for their
                time. If hosting a meeting is a requirement for membership I would
                gladly setup a meeting with maybe two system for review. But my home
                is smallish, and I have precious little partitions between rooms. In
                short, I guess I am saying the club should continue and I will support
                it in any way
                I can.

                I think things have gone a little stale because of the infrequency of
                meetings. I have enjoyed mostly the DIY discussions and discovering
                new artist and taste in music.

                dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                > dallasaudioclub group:
                >
                > Club Survey/Poll
                >
                > This survey is to help make your club better. The questions.
                > You can answer on the group are...
                > (1) Why did they join
                > (2) how they would like the DAC to be a resource to their needs
                > Since this is a poll and I'm not familiar with the format. Please
                have patience.
                > The Poll is below...
                > Are you interested in hosting a metting:
                >
                > o YES
                > o NO

                > web site listed above.
                >
                > Thanks!

              • Johno Kantz
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 21, 2007
                  I've been a member for a year or two, but I have only attended one meeting.
                  I joined to try and learn more about gear, maybe find a source to purchase
                  vinyl & vintage gear in good condition, find people who can service vintage
                  gear, and get general good tips for getting the most out of my vinyl. I
                  felt a little out of place at the one meeting I went to because I'm
                  significantly younger than most of the members in the group and I don't have
                  a whole lot in the way of experience or great gear, so I didn't have a whole
                  bunch to talk about. I was afraid people were apprehensive because they
                  might have just thought I was hitting them up for shopping advice. Sorry if
                  anybody remembers me and remembers me being annoying.

                  You guys listen at higher dB levels than I do, too :P.

                  I'd still like to come to some more meetings, though.

                  I would like to host meetings, but it's just impossible since I have a tiny
                  place and a roommate who wouldn't appreciate it one bit. Maybe one of these
                  days when I'm a real adult and have a house... I'll remember to bring beer
                  next time, though, if that's any consolation.

                  See what you�re getting into�before you go there
                  http://newlivehotmail.com/?ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_viral_preview_0507
                • ed sheffield
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 22, 2007
                    Hi Guys,

                    Scatter-shooting....

                    Folks, we should find a way to make an active greater
                    Dallas audio society work.

                    The metroplex is very large both in population and
                    area-getting around is difficult. Large meetings
                    yield little listening-which is a bummer for many.

                    I will be willing to host a get together when my home
                    remodeling project is complete after Sept. 15.

                    I like the blending of diy and commercial high end
                    gear.

                    Might it be possible to gather email lists from the
                    disparate audio groups in NTX (or asking them to send
                    an email to their respective groups) sending a one
                    time email to all about forming a diverse audio group?

                    Thanks,

                    Ed

                    --- Johno Kantz <inkmo@...> wrote:

                    > I've been a member for a year or two, but I have
                    > only attended one meeting.
                    > I joined to try and learn more about gear, maybe
                    > find a source to purchase
                    > vinyl & vintage gear in good condition, find people
                    > who can service vintage
                    > gear, and get general good tips for getting the most
                    > out of my vinyl. I
                    > felt a little out of place at the one meeting I went
                    > to because I'm
                    > significantly younger than most of the members in
                    > the group and I don't have
                    > a whole lot in the way of experience or great gear,
                    > so I didn't have a whole
                    > bunch to talk about. I was afraid people were
                    > apprehensive because they
                    > might have just thought I was hitting them up for
                    > shopping advice. Sorry if
                    > anybody remembers me and remembers me being
                    > annoying.
                    >
                    > You guys listen at higher dB levels than I do, too
                    > :P.
                    >
                    > I'd still like to come to some more meetings,
                    > though.
                    >
                    > I would like to host meetings, but it's just
                    > impossible since I have a tiny
                    > place and a roommate who wouldn't appreciate it one
                    > bit. Maybe one of these
                    > days when I'm a real adult and have a house... I'll
                    > remember to bring beer
                    > next time, though, if that's any consolation.

                    > (Yahoo! ID required)
                    >
                    > mailto:dallasaudioclub-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  • oscar_in_fw
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 22, 2007
                      Okay, My 2 cents worth. I thought I knew what I was doing trying work my way into a hi-
                      end system mostly on my own. I found out differently when I found the Dallas Audio Club
                      and North Texas Audio Jam (or whatever it's called nowadays). Definite learning curve;
                      now I'm still in "dreaming of an All-tube system" mode. I'd support meetings just to
                      listen to different setups and acquire other viewpoints.

                      I've only hosted one (1) meeting which turned into a rather large affair with 35 people
                      coming over bringing a multitude of DIY projects which we set up (if only for a short time)
                      in the rather large (if acoustically-challenged) living room. My system is geared more
                      towards 2-channel and Multichannel SACD/DVD-A and Hi-Def Home Theater with mostly
                      Solid State components; too bright for many of Y'all; even the 2-channel tubed Preamp I'm
                      experimenting with. Also, no vinyl (yet).

                      I'd be glad to host another such large meeting but you'd have to bring your own tubed
                      equipment/systems and vinyl setups, I don't have a 2nd system setup (yet), but I still have
                      a large, mostly empty living room to fill up and now an empty bedroom for a 3rd setup
                      and room to possibly shoe in a 4th setup. The downside is I'm on the West side of Fort
                      Worth so it would have to be a once in a blue moon affair. It'll be a catered affair as well;
                      last time we had to last minute order up seven (7) large pizzas on top of the food I had
                      originally prepared and we finished all of it (I even made a modest profit).

                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 7 5:30 AM
                        dallasaudioclub group:

                        What do you think would be the maximum number of folks
                        at a gathering and it still be about the music?

                        o 3
                        o 7
                        o 10
                        o 15