New poll for dallasaudioclub

  • dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 20, 2007
      dallasaudioclub group:

      Club Survey/Poll

      This survey is to help make your club better. The questions.
      You can answer on the group are...
      (1) Why did they join
      (2) how they would like the DAC to be a resource to their needs
      Since this is a poll and I'm not familiar with the format. Please have patience.
      The Poll is below...
      Are you interested in hosting a metting:

      o YES
      o NO

      web site listed above.

      Thanks!
    • bearhifi
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 20, 2007
        Ok now its time for my 2 cents if it's worth that…

        This club has NEVER been about DIY vs. high-end in anyway. One of
        the great things about our meets is that one house will have high-
        end and other would be DIY. Or in most cases it would have both…
        This club has pretty much only been a hand full of good friends with
        different audio taste getting together and showing off our stuff…
        That's all and I don't think anyone has every exited it to be more.

        The only real issue we have had is folks not hosting meetings! Some
        folks are not happy with total strangers showing up at their house,
        eating all their food then taking off to never host a party… some
        don't care. It appears it's the same folks that host time and time
        again and I think that's been the cause of the down fall… We need to
        get folks that are already members to host meets that have never
        done so. Heck I feel you're not a full DAC member until your have
        hosted a audio meet some kind. But that's me…

        If everyone wants to change the entire outlook of the club then I
        will go along. However if you have never hosted a meet before then I
        feel you have no input or have paid your dues.

        Like I said this is my 2 cents... that's all…
      • Richard Rea
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 20, 2007
          Good point. More people need to be willing too host. That includes
          me. I have never hosted nor gone to a meet as of yet. Mostly I don't
          feal my system is up to par for such. But, but maybe I'm being an
          idiot about that.
          I will plan on hosting in a month or two, due to remodleing needing
          to be wraped up and needing a CD player.

          Richard

          --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "bearhifi" <bear.hifi@...>
          wrote:

          > Ok now its time for my 2 cents if it's worth that…
          >

          > This club has NEVER been about DIY vs. high-end in anyway. One of
          > the great things about our meets is that one house will have high-
          > end and other would be DIY. Or in most cases it would have both…
          > This club has pretty much only been a hand full of good friends with
          > different audio taste getting together and showing off our stuff…
          > That's all and I don't think anyone has every exited it to be more.
          >

          > The only real issue we have had is folks not hosting meetings! Some
          > folks are not happy with total strangers showing up at their house,
          > eating all their food then taking off to never host a party… some
          > don't care. It appears it's the same folks that host time and time
          > again and I think that's been the cause of the down fall… We need to
          > get folks that are already members to host meets that have never
          > done so. Heck I feel you're not a full DAC member until your have
          > hosted a audio meet some kind. But that's me…
          >
          > If everyone wants to change the entire outlook of the club then I
          > will go along. However if you have never hosted a meet before then I
          > feel you have no input or have paid your dues.
          >
          > Like I said this is my 2 cents... that's all…

        • blrchapman
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 20, 2007
            Thank you for the input guys, and I agree. I have never hosted an
            event, but I am fairly new and have co-hosted several fairly well
            organized DIY events in the metroplex. We typically have everything
            from cables to amps and even on occasion raw speaker drivers where we
            all just examine the motor stucture and the specs to better
            understand why they fit certain criteia and applications. This is the
            type of feedback I need to be able to evaluate a "step forward" in
            these events. As far as the post about needing a CD player. First,
            don't feel that your current system is not up to par, but rather a
            work in progress. Not everyone has $3,000.00 for a player. Ask some
            of us to bring a few players. I have a simple line stage that has
            three inputs on it and we can easily hook three players up at once to
            get critiques. Again, I am open and hope you all are willing to bring
            some opinions and suggestions forward.

            Thank you,

            Blair
            --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Rea"

            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 20, 2007
              It doesn't matter what you have or don't have. As long as it's not a
              Bose Wave radio then its ok! You need a CD player… Trust me.
              Someone will bring one…

              Every meet I have gone too and hosted the guest have brought enough
              gear to make an entire system.

              --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "blrchapman" <blair_4@...>
              wrote:

> [...]
              > house,
              > > > eating all their food then taking off to never host a party…
              some
              > > > don't care. It appears it's the same folks that host time and
              time
              > > > again and I think that's been the cause of the down fall… We
              need
              > > > get folks that are already members to host meets that have
              never
              > > > done so. Heck I feel you're not a full DAC member until your
              have
              > > > hosted a audio meet some kind. But that's me…
              > > >
              > > > If everyone wants to change the entire outlook of the club
              then I
              > > > will go along. However if you have never hosted a meet before
              > then I
              > > > feel you have no input or have paid your dues.
              > > >
              > > > Like I said this is my 2 cents... that's all…

            • jktdet
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 20, 2007
                I joined back about 9 months ago, after attending an event in
                Denton. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I later attended another event also
                at the same home in Denton, very nice member as I recall. I will
                gladly host an event. I have hosted several DIY speaker events and
                am a development engineer who has in the past worked in R&D for a
                very large commercial HiFi company. I have designed numerous DIY
                loudspeakers and love HiFi in general. I have a nice system KT88 amp
                with gold lions, Lite audio DAC, Pioneer Elite SACD player and a lot
                of really nice loudspeakers and would gladly play host.

                I do agree that there is a real blur between DIY and high end HiFi.
                I have some very high end DIY speakers and know several who do. I
                consider them to be high end and HiFi. I enjoy designing tube gear
                and loudspeaker crossovers and have even designed drivers. I
                currently have a 3 way in my listening room that has a very flat
                response in to the 30s, amazing soundstage and detail and is very
                inexpensive to build. For less than $250/pr sans an enclosure it
                will rival loudspeakers costing $2500/pr or more. It is a great
                speaker for a tube amp with a really nice impedance profile and
                benign electrical phase angle.

                I personally think DIY folk tend to be less likely to buy into a lot
                of the snake oil in the HiFi market today, I know being an engineer
                I tend to be ever amazed at some of the claims but I don't think
                they discount true high end audio. Count me in as a host. I live
                just north of DFW airport so fairly centrally located.

                I also do loudspeaker crossover design for those interested in
                building their own loudspeakers. You have to be a little patient as
                I don't have a lot of time but if you give me a few weeks I usually
                can accommodate most anyone.

                Dave
              • kenjendaveaaron
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 21, 2007
                  Ok my turn to weigh in. I have been a member of the DAC for the past
                  2+ years. I originally joined to learn more about high end audio. Not
                  only have I enjoyed meeting new people and socializing, I have learned
                  a lot about audio in general. Our DAC meeting have been a tremendous
                  learning experience for me. For example, five minutes with Fred has
                  shown me things that would have taken awhile to figure out on my own.
                  The DAC has been a very positive experience for me and I look forward
                  to attending more meeting.

                  At this point in my life I am unable to host a meeting. I have four
                  kiddos (3 under the age of 6) and my home is simply not suited to
                  multiple audio setups. But I am more than willing to furnish
                  refreshments, setup, transport equipment, or pay a host for their
                  time. If hosting a meeting is a requirement for membership I would
                  gladly setup a meeting with maybe two system for review. But my home
                  is smallish, and I have precious little partitions between rooms. In
                  short, I guess I am saying the club should continue and I will support
                  it in any way
                  I can.

                  I think things have gone a little stale because of the infrequency of
                  meetings. I have enjoyed mostly the DIY discussions and discovering
                  new artist and taste in music.

                  dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                  > dallasaudioclub group:
                  >
                  > Club Survey/Poll
                  >
                  > This survey is to help make your club better. The questions.
                  > You can answer on the group are...
                  > (1) Why did they join
                  > (2) how they would like the DAC to be a resource to their needs
                  > Since this is a poll and I'm not familiar with the format. Please
                  have patience.
                  > The Poll is below...
                  > Are you interested in hosting a metting:
                  >
                  > o YES
                  > o NO

                  > web site listed above.
                  >
                  > Thanks!

                • Johno Kantz
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 21, 2007
                    I've been a member for a year or two, but I have only attended one meeting.
                    I joined to try and learn more about gear, maybe find a source to purchase
                    vinyl & vintage gear in good condition, find people who can service vintage
                    gear, and get general good tips for getting the most out of my vinyl. I
                    felt a little out of place at the one meeting I went to because I'm
                    significantly younger than most of the members in the group and I don't have
                    a whole lot in the way of experience or great gear, so I didn't have a whole
                    bunch to talk about. I was afraid people were apprehensive because they
                    might have just thought I was hitting them up for shopping advice. Sorry if
                    anybody remembers me and remembers me being annoying.

                    You guys listen at higher dB levels than I do, too :P.

                    I'd still like to come to some more meetings, though.

                    I would like to host meetings, but it's just impossible since I have a tiny
                    place and a roommate who wouldn't appreciate it one bit. Maybe one of these
                    days when I'm a real adult and have a house... I'll remember to bring beer
                    next time, though, if that's any consolation.

                    See what you�re getting into�before you go there
                    http://newlivehotmail.com/?ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_viral_preview_0507
                  • ed sheffield
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 22, 2007
                      Hi Guys,

                      Scatter-shooting....

                      Folks, we should find a way to make an active greater
                      Dallas audio society work.

                      The metroplex is very large both in population and
                      area-getting around is difficult. Large meetings
                      yield little listening-which is a bummer for many.

                      I will be willing to host a get together when my home
                      remodeling project is complete after Sept. 15.

                      I like the blending of diy and commercial high end
                      gear.

                      Might it be possible to gather email lists from the
                      disparate audio groups in NTX (or asking them to send
                      an email to their respective groups) sending a one
                      time email to all about forming a diverse audio group?

                      Thanks,

                      Ed

                      --- Johno Kantz <inkmo@...> wrote:

                      > I've been a member for a year or two, but I have
                      > only attended one meeting.
                      > I joined to try and learn more about gear, maybe
                      > find a source to purchase
                      > vinyl & vintage gear in good condition, find people
                      > who can service vintage
                      > gear, and get general good tips for getting the most
                      > out of my vinyl. I
                      > felt a little out of place at the one meeting I went
                      > to because I'm
                      > significantly younger than most of the members in
                      > the group and I don't have
                      > a whole lot in the way of experience or great gear,
                      > so I didn't have a whole
                      > bunch to talk about. I was afraid people were
                      > apprehensive because they
                      > might have just thought I was hitting them up for
                      > shopping advice. Sorry if
                      > anybody remembers me and remembers me being
                      > annoying.
                      >
                      > You guys listen at higher dB levels than I do, too
                      > :P.
                      >
                      > I'd still like to come to some more meetings,
                      > though.
                      >
                      > I would like to host meetings, but it's just
                      > impossible since I have a tiny
                      > place and a roommate who wouldn't appreciate it one
                      > bit. Maybe one of these
                      > days when I'm a real adult and have a house... I'll
                      > remember to bring beer
                      > next time, though, if that's any consolation.

                      > (Yahoo! ID required)
                      >
                      > mailto:dallasaudioclub-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                    • oscar_in_fw
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 22, 2007
                        Okay, My 2 cents worth. I thought I knew what I was doing trying work my way into a hi-
                        end system mostly on my own. I found out differently when I found the Dallas Audio Club
                        and North Texas Audio Jam (or whatever it's called nowadays). Definite learning curve;
                        now I'm still in "dreaming of an All-tube system" mode. I'd support meetings just to
                        listen to different setups and acquire other viewpoints.

                        I've only hosted one (1) meeting which turned into a rather large affair with 35 people
                        coming over bringing a multitude of DIY projects which we set up (if only for a short time)
                        in the rather large (if acoustically-challenged) living room. My system is geared more
                        towards 2-channel and Multichannel SACD/DVD-A and Hi-Def Home Theater with mostly
                        Solid State components; too bright for many of Y'all; even the 2-channel tubed Preamp I'm
                        experimenting with. Also, no vinyl (yet).

                        I'd be glad to host another such large meeting but you'd have to bring your own tubed
                        equipment/systems and vinyl setups, I don't have a 2nd system setup (yet), but I still have
                        a large, mostly empty living room to fill up and now an empty bedroom for a 3rd setup
                        and room to possibly shoe in a 4th setup. The downside is I'm on the West side of Fort
                        Worth so it would have to be a once in a blue moon affair. It'll be a catered affair as well;
                        last time we had to last minute order up seven (7) large pizzas on top of the food I had
                        originally prepared and we finished all of it (I even made a modest profit).

                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 7, 2007
                          dallasaudioclub group:

                          What do you think would be the maximum number of folks
                          at a gathering and it still be about the music?

                          o 3
                          o 7
                          o 10
                          o 15