Re: [dallasaudioclub] Where can I buy audio ports in the metroplex

    Message 1 of 6 , May 11 8:32 AM
      While an audio port would look better and might be cheaper. you could also use a section of PVC pipe if you're not worried about port turbulence. Depends on the application and urgency, I guess.

      Another option would be a slot port if the cabinet hasn't been constructed yet.

      Cameron Thorne <cameronthorne+DAC@...> wrote:
      I'm not sure where to buy locally, but the Precision Ports from Parts Express are very well-liked.  I don't think you can go wrong with those if you decide not to buy locally.

      -- Cameron

      Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!

    • jktdet
      Message 2 of 6 , May 11 8:55 AM
        Being an avid speaker designer, I ditto the precision ports. Their 3
        peice construction also allow for testing different tuning frequencies
        fairly easily.

        PVC pipe works well also that can be add at any Home Depot or Lowes.

        Dave
      • Dennis
        Message 3 of 6 , May 11 8:58 AM
          Actually you might consider doing what Frasier did with their
          cabinets. You mount the back panel on four to six threaded studs, so
          you can adjust a gap or slot between the back panel and side panels.
          This allows you to tune the bass performance for the best sound.

          You can install a styrofoam pyramid on the back panel to prevent a
          back wave distorting the cone movement.

          Doing this to the bottom panel on home audio speakers, in my opinion
          offers much better performance than round ports, since you can tune
          the speaker's bass performance to your listening room.