Where can I buy audio ports in the metroplex

  • Lev Desmarais
    Message 1 of 6 , May 10 8:11 PM
      My rhythm guitar player is building some monitors for our band. We
      have a gig comming up soon and he's a couple of ports short. Anyone
      know where we can buy some audio ports locally, or is our best bet
      partsexpress.com?

      Thanks,
      Lev
      Message 2 of 6 , May 10 8:14 PM
        Try Tanner's Electronics just down the slope on Valwood. Just west of
        35E . They have some speaker parts toward the back. Otherwise, on line
        is best. jim...
        --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "Lev Desmarais" <levkarl@...>
        wrote:

        > My rhythm guitar player is building some monitors for our band. We
        > have a gig comming up soon and he's a couple of ports short. Anyone
        > know where we can buy some audio ports locally, or is our best bet
        > partsexpress.com?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Lev

      • Cameron Thorne
        Message 3 of 6 , May 11 7:46 AM
          I'm not sure where to buy locally, but the Precision Ports from Parts Express are very well-liked.  I don't think you can go wrong with those if you decide not to buy locally.

          -- Cameron

          Message 4 of 6 , May 11 8:32 AM
            While an audio port would look better and might be cheaper. you could also use a section of PVC pipe if you're not worried about port turbulence. Depends on the application and urgency, I guess.

            Another option would be a slot port if the cabinet hasn't been constructed yet.

            Cameron Thorne <cameronthorne+DAC@...> wrote:
            I'm not sure where to buy locally, but the Precision Ports from Parts Express are very well-liked.  I don't think you can go wrong with those if you decide not to buy locally.

            -- Cameron

            Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!

          • jktdet
            Message 5 of 6 , May 11 8:55 AM
              Being an avid speaker designer, I ditto the precision ports. Their 3
              peice construction also allow for testing different tuning frequencies
              fairly easily.

              PVC pipe works well also that can be add at any Home Depot or Lowes.

              Dave
            • Dennis
              Message 6 of 6 , May 11 8:58 AM
                Actually you might consider doing what Frasier did with their
                cabinets. You mount the back panel on four to six threaded studs, so
                you can adjust a gap or slot between the back panel and side panels.
                This allows you to tune the bass performance for the best sound.

                You can install a styrofoam pyramid on the back panel to prevent a
                back wave distorting the cone movement.

                Doing this to the bottom panel on home audio speakers, in my opinion
                offers much better performance than round ports, since you can tune
                the speaker's bass performance to your listening room.