Re: Ta Dah!!

  • Dennis
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2007
      Very nice job! I really like the wax glass method. Hopefully the
      coyotes will be howling in appreciation, my "dogs" seem to prefer
      classical or new age. Ahh, the 60s and 70s.....20 years fo great
      Rock, it will never be equaled.

      Dennis

      --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "judy ross" <judyegr@...>
      wrote:

      > Dennis!!!
      > I deviated a little from your suggestions. I used a small glass
      > candle holder instead of a torch. It gets really hot on the bottom
      > when the wax turns to liquid. I used vinyl-handled pliers (just
      the
      > handles) to gradually push up on the platter, along with a few
      > screwdrivers. It finally began to give a little so I rocked it til
      it
      > came off. It IS gear driven. I saw corrosion on the centerpost
      that
      > was probably preventing the platter from rotating. Emory boards
      > aren't just for sparkplug points. I put a hole in a pc of paper
      and
      > placed it over the post before sanding to prevent sand from going
      > into the mechanisms. I got my long bent tweezers and removed a bit
      of
      > styrofoam from the gear (probably been there since 1973), but the
      > grease is still soft and the bearings look great. While I had it
      > down, I checked the eject gear...worked fine. Then I put the
      platter
      > back on and set the spindle in place. I put an album on and pushed
      > the lever to "Auto". It worked like a charm! The arm doesn't have
      > needle in it, but the manual shows the kind needed. It is a simple
      > flip-type that Best Buy sells. I feel like it will work fine when
      > get a needle in it. You know, I got this console because it
      reminded
      > me of the one I got in '72 (my hippie flowerchild days). I would
      > still have it if I hadn't blown a couple of speakers. I was a bit
      > aggressive on the volume back then. I also tended to over-bass
      it.
      > I thought the walls had to vibrate or it was no good. I confess.
      > am STILL LIKE THAT!!!
      > Anyway, thanks for all your help. Also for the language lesson.
      When