Ta Dah!!

  • judy ross
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2007
      Dennis!!!
      I deviated a little from your suggestions. I used a small glass
      candle holder instead of a torch. It gets really hot on the bottom
      when the wax turns to liquid. I used vinyl-handled pliers (just the
      handles) to gradually push up on the platter, along with a few
      screwdrivers. It finally began to give a little so I rocked it til it
      came off. It IS gear driven. I saw corrosion on the centerpost that
      was probably preventing the platter from rotating. Emory boards
      aren't just for sparkplug points. I put a hole in a pc of paper and
      placed it over the post before sanding to prevent sand from going
      into the mechanisms. I got my long bent tweezers and removed a bit of
      styrofoam from the gear (probably been there since 1973), but the
      grease is still soft and the bearings look great. While I had it
      down, I checked the eject gear...worked fine. Then I put the platter
      back on and set the spindle in place. I put an album on and pushed
      the lever to "Auto". It worked like a charm! The arm doesn't have a
      needle in it, but the manual shows the kind needed. It is a simple
      flip-type that Best Buy sells. I feel like it will work fine when I
      get a needle in it. You know, I got this console because it reminded
      me of the one I got in '72 (my hippie flowerchild days). I would
      still have it if I hadn't blown a couple of speakers. I was a bit
      aggressive on the volume back then. I also tended to over-bass it.
      I thought the walls had to vibrate or it was no good. I confess. I
      am STILL LIKE THAT!!!
      Anyway, thanks for all your help. Also for the language lesson. When
      this darned sleet goes away, I'll make a trip into Midland and get
      the needle. Then I'll be doing the 'happy dance.' I can turn the
      volume up as high as I want out here. I am at the end of a gravel
      road in the middle of acres and acres of .....nothing. I'll have the
      coyotes howling for sure.
      Judy :)
    • Dennis
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2007
        Very nice job! I really like the wax glass method. Hopefully the
        coyotes will be howling in appreciation, my "dogs" seem to prefer
        classical or new age. Ahh, the 60s and 70s.....20 years fo great
        Rock, it will never be equaled.

        Dennis

        --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "judy ross" <judyegr@...>