Re: Midland hello

  • judy ross
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2007
      Hey, Dennis. I am devoting this day to your suggestions.
      Remembering what wire goes where should be a breeze. That's the same
      technique I used when removing wires from plugs and distribitor
      caps. Ok. Since my current problem is removing the platter from the
      chassis, I have put oil (all I have is 3M at the moment) into the
      center. The spindle and mat are removed. I have tape to cover a
      prying instrument. If I can't get an instrument inside the plinth
      with enough room left for prying, then I will remove the chassis from
      the plinth. (Ahhh, a new language.) Plinth...such a neat word,
      never used it before. Be back later.
      Judy

      --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis" <chimeraone@...>
      wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > Let's call the wood panel the turntabe assembly is bolted on the
      > plinth. The round disk that rotates is called a platter. The rubber
      > disk on top of the platter is called a mat. The metal base the
      > platter sits on is called the chassis.
      >
      > If you are having problems removing the chassis from the plinth, it
      > might be easier to tilt console so the front rests on a carpaet. It
      > makes it easier to get at the hardware holding the chassis to the
      > plinth. The first thing you do is dsiconnect the signal and power
      > wires that connect to the turntable chassis. In some cases there
      are
      > connectors in some cases they need to be unsoldered. Draw a picture
      > showing what color wire goes where so you can re-connect them
      > properly. Some cahssis are spring loaded, some are fixes. But there
      > will be three or four threaded studs with hex nuts holding it in. I
      > always spray Kroil or Liquid Wrench on them adn wait a day to make
      > sure I don't strip them.
      >
      > If you are trying to remove the platter from the chassis, that can
      be
      > more of a challenge. Most console turntables have automatic
      changers
      > with a 45 adapter. Teh platters were diecast metal usually aluminum
      > and the changer mechanism is plated steel. Galvanic corrosion
      > can "weld" the platter to the mechanism. Kroil mith help and you
      need
      > to try it, but if it doesn't you need to use a propane torch to
      heat
      > the platter. Remember these tables are sually driven by a rubber
      > idler wheel or in rare cases a rubber belt. Keep the heat away from
      > them. Remove the rubber mat and heat the top of the platter at the
      > center. You can use a putty knife to gently try to pry the platter
      > off. Wind masking tape arounf the putty knoe blade to prevent
      > scratches.
      >
      > Like cars, vintage audio equipment has service manuals too. They
      will
      > usually provide blow-up drawings of the assemblies, schematics and
      > voltages. Do a google search for SAMS manuals and one the sirte
      > search for your specific brand and model, there is a very good
      cahnce
      > there is a SAMS for it.
      >
      > I am under the assumption that the colsole plays music adn the
      > problem is just with teh turntable. In addition to soundign great,
      > when soemthing does go wrong, it is usally a bad tube which is
      easily
      > replaced. But eventaully, when it ahppens, someone wil have to
      > measure the voltages in the amplifiers to find out whats wrong. The
      > SAMS will have the information, but you need some basic tools and
      > knowledge to fix it. The best Basic Electronics Technician manuals
      > are the old Military manuals from the 50s. Once again easily found
      in
      > a Google search. Since you are already a mechanic, it's a short

    • Dennis
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2007
        It sounds like you might have a frozen bearing. They were usually
        bronze with lithium grease or oil for lubrication.

        A lot of console manufacturers used Garrard turntables and they were
        considered the best. It's a lot easier to find parts for them and the
        changer types are available for little or no money.

        If you deceide you want to put in a "superior engine", post it here.
        I have a friend who goes to all the estate sales and if he buys a
        console for th espeqakers and amps, he just throws them away. I am
        sure the DAC members can help you out.

        Whenever I work on vintage audio equipment I always wear a white shop
        coat, like a doctors, to get me in the proper frame of mind. It helps
        reduce the impulse reach for a hammer.