Re: Midland hello

  • judy ross
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2007

      I still haven't been able to get this table off. It can't be welded on
      or they wouldn't have put a lockpin on it. Will it hurt it if I put
      some oil in the center to see if it will help remove it? I can't see
      under the table from the top, and I can't see what is directly under it
      from the underside, either. Jeesh! If it were a car, I would get a
      wheel puller and put some UMPHH on it! I'm trying to resist that ploy
      for one with more finesse. Is there a trick to pulling this thing off?
      WHEW!
      Judy
    • Dennis
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2007
        Judy,

        I have taken more turntables out of consoles than I care to remember.
        To make communication easier let's use some common nomencalture.

        Let's call the wood panel the turntabe assembly is bolted on the
        plinth. The round disk that rotates is called a platter. The rubber
        disk on top of the platter is called a mat. The metal base the
        platter sits on is called the chassis.

        If you are having problems removing the chassis from the plinth, it
        might be easier to tilt console so the front rests on a carpaet. It
        makes it easier to get at the hardware holding the chassis to the
        plinth. The first thing you do is dsiconnect the signal and power
        wires that connect to the turntable chassis. In some cases there are
        connectors in some cases they need to be unsoldered. Draw a picture
        showing what color wire goes where so you can re-connect them
        properly. Some cahssis are spring loaded, some are fixes. But there
        will be three or four threaded studs with hex nuts holding it in. I
        always spray Kroil or Liquid Wrench on them adn wait a day to make
        sure I don't strip them.

        If you are trying to remove the platter from the chassis, that can be
        more of a challenge. Most console turntables have automatic changers
        with a 45 adapter. Teh platters were diecast metal usually aluminum
        and the changer mechanism is plated steel. Galvanic corrosion
        can "weld" the platter to the mechanism. Kroil mith help and you need
        to try it, but if it doesn't you need to use a propane torch to heat
        the platter. Remember these tables are sually driven by a rubber
        idler wheel or in rare cases a rubber belt. Keep the heat away from
        them. Remove the rubber mat and heat the top of the platter at the
        center. You can use a putty knife to gently try to pry the platter
        off. Wind masking tape arounf the putty knoe blade to prevent
        scratches.

        Like cars, vintage audio equipment has service manuals too. They will
        usually provide blow-up drawings of the assemblies, schematics and
        voltages. Do a google search for SAMS manuals and one the sirte
        search for your specific brand and model, there is a very good cahnce
        there is a SAMS for it.

        I am under the assumption that the colsole plays music adn the
        problem is just with teh turntable. In addition to soundign great,
        when soemthing does go wrong, it is usally a bad tube which is easily
        replaced. But eventaully, when it ahppens, someone wil have to
        measure the voltages in the amplifiers to find out whats wrong. The
        SAMS will have the information, but you need some basic tools and
        knowledge to fix it. The best Basic Electronics Technician manuals
        are the old Military manuals from the 50s. Once again easily found in
        a Google search. Since you are already a mechanic, it's a short jump
        to becoming a technician.

        Best Regards, Dennis

        --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "judy ross" <judyegr@...>
        wrote:

> [...]
      • judy ross
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 1, 2007
          Wow, Jim...these are really great links. I have already gazed over
          them enough to know what and where to go for soldering tips (not the
          actual TIPS for the guns, but the hints...you know), and found some
          guys who don't know that the guy called Sundance Head who tried out for
          American Idol is the son of Roy Head of R&B fame in the 60's (see
          http://www.tsimon.com/head.htm). I also found one guy on the 1st site
          recommended who has the same problem that I have...his turntable is
          stuck! This was posted in 2005, so he has probably had time to get
          dynamite under it by now. I have been reading for hours. I finally
          figured out that DIY is not a brand....DUH! I have been DIYing for
          years! Whoa, guys..don't make fun of me unless you can make a boning
          stroke with India ink while doing Japanese writing.
          Thanks,
          Judy :)

          --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <jim@...> wrote:

          > And James, don't forget our pals at...
          >
          > http://www.audioroundtable.com/
          >
          > and... http://lonestarbottleheads.org/
          >
          > and...
          > http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/
          > jim...

        • judy ross
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 1, 2007
            Hey, Dennis. I am devoting this day to your suggestions.
            Remembering what wire goes where should be a breeze. That's the same
            technique I used when removing wires from plugs and distribitor
            caps. Ok. Since my current problem is removing the platter from the
            chassis, I have put oil (all I have is 3M at the moment) into the
            center. The spindle and mat are removed. I have tape to cover a
            prying instrument. If I can't get an instrument inside the plinth
            with enough room left for prying, then I will remove the chassis from
            the plinth. (Ahhh, a new language.) Plinth...such a neat word,
            never used it before. Be back later.
            Judy

            --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis" <chimeraone@...>
            wrote:

> [...]
            > voltages. Do a google search for SAMS manuals and one the sirte
            > search for your specific brand and model, there is a very good
            cahnce
            > there is a SAMS for it.
            >
            > I am under the assumption that the colsole plays music adn the
            > problem is just with teh turntable. In addition to soundign great,
            > when soemthing does go wrong, it is usally a bad tube which is
            easily
            > replaced. But eventaully, when it ahppens, someone wil have to
            > measure the voltages in the amplifiers to find out whats wrong. The
            > SAMS will have the information, but you need some basic tools and
            > knowledge to fix it. The best Basic Electronics Technician manuals
            > are the old Military manuals from the 50s. Once again easily found
            in
            > a Google search. Since you are already a mechanic, it's a short

          • Dennis
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 1, 2007
              It sounds like you might have a frozen bearing. They were usually
              bronze with lithium grease or oil for lubrication.

              A lot of console manufacturers used Garrard turntables and they were
              considered the best. It's a lot easier to find parts for them and the
              changer types are available for little or no money.

              If you deceide you want to put in a "superior engine", post it here.
              I have a friend who goes to all the estate sales and if he buys a
              console for th espeqakers and amps, he just throws them away. I am
              sure the DAC members can help you out.

              Whenever I work on vintage audio equipment I always wear a white shop
              coat, like a doctors, to get me in the proper frame of mind. It helps
              reduce the impulse reach for a hammer.