Midland hello

  • judy ross
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 31, 2007
      Hi all. I'm new here. I am a record collector.

      I have recently decided to dust them off and start playing them
      again after 20 years of CD's. I got a turntable/AM/FM, 8-track with
      rollabout speakers from Goodwill which works great except for the 8-
      track sticking a bit. (I do have 8-track tapes:Bob Seger,Neil
      Diamond, and other Greats.)

      Then, last week I got a LLoyd's 65" stereo console. It's a 1973
      model...you know....the old 'shake-the-walls' type with woofers that
      will knock you down. Only thing, the turntable is stuck, frozen,
      jammed. I am teaching myself how to repair it by taking one part off
      at a time to see how it is made. I am NOT an electrician, but I AM a
      mechanic. I am learning a bit at a time. So far I have learned that
      there are two kinds of turntables...belt driven and gear driven. I
      haven't found a belt on this one yet, and it is not shown on the
      schematics. (Yes, the schematics and manual were actually inside it
      when I got it...paid 25 dollars at Salvation Army!)

      I now have a record-to-computer-to-CD system, but have not fully
      started using it yet. I will be categorizing and alphabetizing my
      records the last of March when I get a room ready for them.(I have
      quite a few thousand.)

      My goal is to be able to assemble/disassemble components and repair
      them someday. I was once a good mechanic who gave up when the
      electronic ignition came into use. Now I am determined to learn the
      basics...how to use a tester and a soldering iron.

      I'm wondering what kind of music the majority here listen to. My
      favorites are classic rock, new age, and oldies...but I collect it
      all.

      Judy Ross-Midland
    • James Dolan

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 31, 2007
          And James, don't forget our pals at...

          http://www.audioroundtable.com/

          and... http://lonestarbottleheads.org/

          and...
          http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/
          jim...

          --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, James Dolan <shrinkboy99@...>
          wrote:

          > welcome, judy!! i am sure you'll get some interesting responses.
          also, i would like to invite you to have a look at
          www.audiokarma.org. i think you will learn much there, and we always
          like to see girls join up

        • judy ross
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 1, 2007

            I still haven't been able to get this table off. It can't be welded on
            or they wouldn't have put a lockpin on it. Will it hurt it if I put
            some oil in the center to see if it will help remove it? I can't see
            under the table from the top, and I can't see what is directly under it
            from the underside, either. Jeesh! If it were a car, I would get a
            wheel puller and put some UMPHH on it! I'm trying to resist that ploy
            for one with more finesse. Is there a trick to pulling this thing off?
            WHEW!
            Judy
          • Dennis
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 1, 2007
              Judy,

              I have taken more turntables out of consoles than I care to remember.
              To make communication easier let's use some common nomencalture.

              Let's call the wood panel the turntabe assembly is bolted on the
              plinth. The round disk that rotates is called a platter. The rubber
              disk on top of the platter is called a mat. The metal base the
              platter sits on is called the chassis.

              If you are having problems removing the chassis from the plinth, it
              might be easier to tilt console so the front rests on a carpaet. It
              makes it easier to get at the hardware holding the chassis to the
              plinth. The first thing you do is dsiconnect the signal and power
              wires that connect to the turntable chassis. In some cases there are
              connectors in some cases they need to be unsoldered. Draw a picture
              showing what color wire goes where so you can re-connect them
              properly. Some cahssis are spring loaded, some are fixes. But there
              will be three or four threaded studs with hex nuts holding it in. I
              always spray Kroil or Liquid Wrench on them adn wait a day to make
              sure I don't strip them.

              If you are trying to remove the platter from the chassis, that can be
              more of a challenge. Most console turntables have automatic changers
              with a 45 adapter. Teh platters were diecast metal usually aluminum
              and the changer mechanism is plated steel. Galvanic corrosion
              can "weld" the platter to the mechanism. Kroil mith help and you need
              to try it, but if it doesn't you need to use a propane torch to heat
              the platter. Remember these tables are sually driven by a rubber
              idler wheel or in rare cases a rubber belt. Keep the heat away from
              them. Remove the rubber mat and heat the top of the platter at the
              center. You can use a putty knife to gently try to pry the platter
              off. Wind masking tape arounf the putty knoe blade to prevent
              scratches.

              Like cars, vintage audio equipment has service manuals too. They will
              usually provide blow-up drawings of the assemblies, schematics and
              voltages. Do a google search for SAMS manuals and one the sirte
              search for your specific brand and model, there is a very good cahnce
              there is a SAMS for it.

              I am under the assumption that the colsole plays music adn the
              problem is just with teh turntable. In addition to soundign great,
              when soemthing does go wrong, it is usally a bad tube which is easily
              replaced. But eventaully, when it ahppens, someone wil have to
              measure the voltages in the amplifiers to find out whats wrong. The
              SAMS will have the information, but you need some basic tools and
              knowledge to fix it. The best Basic Electronics Technician manuals
              are the old Military manuals from the 50s. Once again easily found in
              a Google search. Since you are already a mechanic, it's a short jump
              to becoming a technician.

              Best Regards, Dennis

              --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "judy ross" <judyegr@...>
              wrote:

> [...]
            • judy ross
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 1, 2007
                Wow, Jim...these are really great links. I have already gazed over
                them enough to know what and where to go for soldering tips (not the
                actual TIPS for the guns, but the hints...you know), and found some
                guys who don't know that the guy called Sundance Head who tried out for
                American Idol is the son of Roy Head of R&B fame in the 60's (see
                http://www.tsimon.com/head.htm). I also found one guy on the 1st site
                recommended who has the same problem that I have...his turntable is
                stuck! This was posted in 2005, so he has probably had time to get
                dynamite under it by now. I have been reading for hours. I finally
                figured out that DIY is not a brand....DUH! I have been DIYing for
                years! Whoa, guys..don't make fun of me unless you can make a boning
                stroke with India ink while doing Japanese writing.
                Thanks,
                Judy :)

                --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <jim@...> wrote:

                > And James, don't forget our pals at...
                >
                > http://www.audioroundtable.com/
                >
                > and... http://lonestarbottleheads.org/
                >
                > and...
                > http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/
                > jim...

              • judy ross
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 1, 2007
                  Hey, Dennis. I am devoting this day to your suggestions.
                  Remembering what wire goes where should be a breeze. That's the same
                  technique I used when removing wires from plugs and distribitor
                  caps. Ok. Since my current problem is removing the platter from the
                  chassis, I have put oil (all I have is 3M at the moment) into the
                  center. The spindle and mat are removed. I have tape to cover a
                  prying instrument. If I can't get an instrument inside the plinth
                  with enough room left for prying, then I will remove the chassis from
                  the plinth. (Ahhh, a new language.) Plinth...such a neat word,
                  never used it before. Be back later.
                  Judy

                  --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis" <chimeraone@...>
                  wrote:

> [...]
                  > voltages. Do a google search for SAMS manuals and one the sirte
                  > search for your specific brand and model, there is a very good
                  cahnce
                  > there is a SAMS for it.
                  >
                  > I am under the assumption that the colsole plays music adn the
                  > problem is just with teh turntable. In addition to soundign great,
                  > when soemthing does go wrong, it is usally a bad tube which is
                  easily
                  > replaced. But eventaully, when it ahppens, someone wil have to
                  > measure the voltages in the amplifiers to find out whats wrong. The
                  > SAMS will have the information, but you need some basic tools and
                  > knowledge to fix it. The best Basic Electronics Technician manuals
                  > are the old Military manuals from the 50s. Once again easily found
                  in
                  > a Google search. Since you are already a mechanic, it's a short

                • Dennis
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 1, 2007
                    It sounds like you might have a frozen bearing. They were usually
                    bronze with lithium grease or oil for lubrication.

                    A lot of console manufacturers used Garrard turntables and they were
                    considered the best. It's a lot easier to find parts for them and the
                    changer types are available for little or no money.

                    If you deceide you want to put in a "superior engine", post it here.
                    I have a friend who goes to all the estate sales and if he buys a
                    console for th espeqakers and amps, he just throws them away. I am
                    sure the DAC members can help you out.

                    Whenever I work on vintage audio equipment I always wear a white shop
                    coat, like a doctors, to get me in the proper frame of mind. It helps
                    reduce the impulse reach for a hammer.