Re: [dallasaudioclub] Axiom/Azzolina listening sessions Dec 21 -26

  • Tom Russell
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 23, 2006
      Scott

      A note of thanks for your hospitality and congeniality.

      Thinking on our conversation, I trust that you don't think that I think I know the way to the absolute truth in these matters. There is none. Why anyone would think that a 6" or 8" or 15" or whatever in whatever inch driver is going to sound exactly like a piano or guitar or whatever is impossible for me to understand. What is in a recording is no more the real performance than what is in a painting or a photograph is actually the scene that is being depicted in the two dimensional art. We in the hifi game need to acknowledge that our systems are not reproducers, they are producers. The recording medium is not an approximation of some other thing, it is it's own art form. And, like other art forms, it has it's own disciplines.  Painting uses charcoal, acrylic, oils, watercolors, etc. on canvas, paper, films, etc. to produce images in styles such as impressionism, cubism, realism, dada, etc. Audio uses electrostatic, electro-magnetic, etc. power generators in horns, panels, sealed boxes, ported boxes, etc. to generate sound that is dynamic or bass heavy or zingy or occluded etc. Each is it's own art from. Each has it's own story to tell. Whether it is fine art or pulp art is ultimately the assessment of the beholder. It always comes down to us uns rightly know what is right and them uns wrongly don't know crap when they hear it.

      Just to show how weird this stuff can be, when Rhythm Country and Blues was playing, I thought it was unrelenting and I was way ready for it to be over long before it was. But, I also thought Blackie and The Rodeo Kings was a bit on the soft side. I have no reasoning as to why I perceive one familiar recording to be produced on the hard side and the other on the soft side. I usually think of Van Morrison when contemplating these matters, "It's not why, why, why, why, it just is, it just is". Ain't this stuff fun?

      For myself, I simply want to avoid the most common pitfall in life, which is having a predetermination that your perception and judgment will be limited to existing only within the bounds of your current knowledge.

      Tom