The ART Arrays

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 19, 2006
      Here's information on a line array "kit" you can build for about
      $350 including the enclosure materials. They're called the ART
      Arrays because they were conceived as an AudioRoundTable group build
      project. I designed the enclosures, and Wayne Parham tested them and
      made some crossover suggestions.

      The design objectives were to build a pair of speakers that are very
      affordable, relatively easy to build, sensitive, tube-friendly,
      dynamic, and that actually sound good. Normally I would look at
      those objectives and say "pick any three", but the ART arrays are
      surprisingly successful at achieving all these goals, thought not
      without some audible compromises.

      Each enclosure is 64" tall and houses eight Dayton 5.25" woofers
      with a single Vifa dome tweeter located midway in the array. The
      woofer crossover is 2nd order; the tweeter crossover is 1st order.
      The woofer array impedance is nominally 16 ohms. Sensitivity is
      about 94dB.

      All the parts needed to build a pair are available as a "kit" from
      Parts Express. The cost would normally be about $350, but for a time
      PE is offering a very generous 25% discount to AudioRoundTable
      members, taking the total price to just over $275. The parts kit
      includes all the drivers, crossover parts, 50 ft of internal wiring,
      quick disconnects, speaker terminals, driver mounting screws, ports,
      and enclosure feet. The crossover parts include Dayton non inductive
      resistors, Jantzen air core inductors, and Solen caps.

      I photo-documented the building of the prototype pair at the link
      below. Some enclosure details have been changed in the final design,
      and all changes are reflected in the detailed construction plans and
      drawings. The plans (a Word file) include construction details, a
      parts list, and information on how to order the parts kit a the
      discount.

      http://fredt300b.smugmug.com/gallery/2046580

      Email me for a free copy of the plans.
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 19, 2006
        OK,
        I would like the plans. Thanks! jim...

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 19, 2006
          I forgot to mention that I'm hosting the Lone Star Bottleheads meeting
          at my house in Houston on January 20th. This would be a good
          opportunity for anybody who wants to hear the ART arrays plus a few
          other diy speaker attempts. If a few DAC members are interested in
          hearing them, and somebody in Dallas were willing to host a meeting, I
          would be glad to haul them up for the occasion.
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 19, 2006
            Fred,
            I'll fish around to see if someone wishes to host a March meeting.