Axiom/Azzolina listening sessions Dec 21 -26

  • Scott Sheaffer
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 11, 2006
      Hello Everyone!
      I want to extend an invitation to everyone to put
      their ears on and come visit Wylie for a listen to
      Chimera Lab's Axiom amplifiers and Azzolina Audio's
      Gran Sfera speakers in their latest revisions. I am
      extremely excited to get an opportunity to hear these
      superb amplifiers and am equally pleased to share the
      system with everyone interested in listening to some
      new offerings from Chimera Labs and Azzolina Audio.
      There will be listening all week and anyone is welcome
      from the 21st to the 26th, but I am dedicating Friday
      Dec. 22 from 6pm on and Saturday Dec. 23 from 3pm
      onward for two "official" times. The address is:
      2203 Hideaway Ct. Wylie, TX 75098.
      Call me at 214-907-4463 to confirm or for any
      questions.

      Both Chimera Labs' Axiom amplifiers and the Azzolina
      Gran Sfera speakers have had some recent
      performance-related revisions and we'd like to learn
      what you think of both. These will be fairly focused
      listening sessions, so please bring your favorite
      software/CD/LP/refreshments.

      From the feedback we received from the last Dallas
      listening sessions about the speakers, they have
      undergone several improvements over their entire
      operating range. The Lowthers are now specially
      constructed with copper voice coils and AlNiCo
      magnets, both of these changes contribute to a
      considerably larger sound space. The bass drivers are
      now our own design and move more air, more cleanly.
      The crossover now uses a heavier gauge air-core
      inductor (22# of copper!), and all wiring is now
      Chimera Labs Litz braid. We feel these revisions have
      profoundly improved the sound quality of the speaker
      top to bottom and I look forward to seeing members
      from the last session to hear some impressions on the
      new design!

      Thanks,
      Scott Sheaffer
      Azzolina Audio

      Yahoo! Music Unlimited
      Access over 1 million songs.
      http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited
    • Blair Chapman
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 11, 2006
        I live in Allen, and would love the opportunity to hear these amps. I am
        young (27) and very new to audiophile, but am eager to hear some nicer
        equipment than is offered in local retail stores.

        Thank you

        Blair Chapman
        214-509-0896

        friends module.
      • Tom Russell
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 23, 2006
          Scott

          A note of thanks for your hospitality and congeniality.

          Thinking on our conversation, I trust that you don't think that I think I know the way to the absolute truth in these matters. There is none. Why anyone would think that a 6" or 8" or 15" or whatever in whatever inch driver is going to sound exactly like a piano or guitar or whatever is impossible for me to understand. What is in a recording is no more the real performance than what is in a painting or a photograph is actually the scene that is being depicted in the two dimensional art. We in the hifi game need to acknowledge that our systems are not reproducers, they are producers. The recording medium is not an approximation of some other thing, it is it's own art form. And, like other art forms, it has it's own disciplines.  Painting uses charcoal, acrylic, oils, watercolors, etc. on canvas, paper, films, etc. to produce images in styles such as impressionism, cubism, realism, dada, etc. Audio uses electrostatic, electro-magnetic, etc. power generators in horns, panels, sealed boxes, ported boxes, etc. to generate sound that is dynamic or bass heavy or zingy or occluded etc. Each is it's own art from. Each has it's own story to tell. Whether it is fine art or pulp art is ultimately the assessment of the beholder. It always comes down to us uns rightly know what is right and them uns wrongly don't know crap when they hear it.

          Just to show how weird this stuff can be, when Rhythm Country and Blues was playing, I thought it was unrelenting and I was way ready for it to be over long before it was. But, I also thought Blackie and The Rodeo Kings was a bit on the soft side. I have no reasoning as to why I perceive one familiar recording to be produced on the hard side and the other on the soft side. I usually think of Van Morrison when contemplating these matters, "It's not why, why, why, why, it just is, it just is". Ain't this stuff fun?

          For myself, I simply want to avoid the most common pitfall in life, which is having a predetermination that your perception and judgment will be limited to existing only within the bounds of your current knowledge.

          Tom