Any Interest In A DIY Speaker Listening Event In Houston?

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 18, 2006
      Those who have been following my posts may be aware that I've
      slapped together several speakers since the last meeting at my
      house. These include:

      1) A small "high end" tower pair using a 7" Seas aluminum cone
      woofer with a Seas alloy dome tweeter,

      2) The FredAudio F8, which is really a Pi Speakers Studio One, but
      in a tower configuration using a GR Research tweeter instead of the
      stock Vifa DV25,

      3) a Jim Griffin design bipole tower pair using CSS 5" full range
      drivers developed by Adire speakers using their new patented motor
      technology. I guarantee you will be floored by the sound of these
      speakers,

      4) my Three Pi Theater speakers with upgraded crossovers using
      Northcreek capacitors,

      5) if this meeting materializes I'll also try to have my Cornwalls'
      refinishing and crossover upgrade completed, and

      6) What speaker event would be complete without a pair of the
      infamous $45 Best Buy Insignia standmounts with upgraded crossovers?

      A couple of other new things some might find interesting are a pair
      of Monarchy Class A, zero feedback sand amps and my new Squeezebox
      music server which receives its signal from the upstairs computer
      via a wireless network. The one thing I've done differently from
      most others who use hard drive music servers is this: All the files
      on the music hard drive are in the uncompressed wav format. If
      you're thinking MP3 quality sound, think again!

      I've been itching for an audio meeting, and since the Lone Star
      Bottleheads are in the usual summer doldrums I thought I might host
      this one if two or three people are interested in coming. I'm
      thinking about mid to late July - probably July 22, at my house in
      Northwest Houston.

      So, is there any interest? I don't need a firm commitment, just an
      acknowledgement that you would be interested and will probably come
      if no schedule conflicts arise.
    • james.dolan@mindspring.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 19, 2006
        great post fred.  can we see pix of all this great work?

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 19, 2006
          --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "james.dolan@..."
          <james.dolan@...> wrote:

          > great post fred. can we see pix of all this great work?

          Yes, all except the Insignia speakers are pictured at
          http://fredt300b.smugmug.com/gallery/132721

          Information about the Insignia speakers is everywhere on the net.
          Here's one of the better sites:
          http://www.gr-research.com/insignia.htm