Inexpensive Tube Amp Options for J.

    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 9, 2006
      If you can go pure DIY there are lots of options.

      If you would prefer a kit the two that come to mind are the $369
      Bottlehead SEX amp and the $299 Abraxas Audio Spud amp kits. Abraxas
      also provides the schematic and parts list if you would prefer to
      save a few dollars by building that one yourself.
      http://www.bottlehead.com/et/adobespc/S.E.X./SEX.htm
      http://home.att.net/~abraxasaudio/projects/6197info/kit.html

      The best deal I know of out there for a new tube amp is the $295
      Radii MPP-08 mini power amp. You can hear it at Russ' house. You
      would also need a preamp, but it's easy to build a passive
      attenuator t ocontrol the volume.
      http://www.thetunerguy.com/new_radii.html

      Used tube equipment can be found on Audiogon and Ebay.

      --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "AudioFile Records"
      <audiofilerecords@...> wrote:

      > hello everyone, its J. kinda new to this club but love reading
      the posts.
      > im a 21 year old audiophile, if you believe that and am a fellow
      patron of
      > your obsession.
      > i have built a pair of single driver busche horns and am looking
      for the
      > most tube amp for my money (DIY or not) and obliviously it doesnt
      need to be
      > powerful. if all possible i would like to meet with all of you
      at the
      > meeting on the 18th.
      > if anyone has some information on some glass power i'd love to
      hear about
      > it. im kind of on a budget thanks to wonderful tuition so anything
      can help.

      > glad to be a part of a sound cult (no pun intended)

      > On 2/27/06, russman_dac <ranchodeaudio@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Keep building them, I'll keep buying them. These other guys
      will learn
      > > someday.

      t=ms&k=Audio+gear&w1=Audio+gear&w2=Digital+audio&w3=Audio&c=3&s=46&.s
      ig=KjbjUP6FnGCJ4Jd8xjkUFw> Digital
      > > audio<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
      t=ms&k=Digital+audio&w1=Audio+gear&w2=Digital+audio&w3=Audio&c=3&s=46
      &.sig=Cxw1JE8REh-4-GZfkSB9Ow>
      > > Audio<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
      t=ms&k=Audio&w1=Audio+gear&w2=Digital+audio&w3=Audio&c=3&s=46&.sig=7h
      2Lwh0mKFBSnoXUxWFJGg>
      "

    • mdchilds1155@mesh.net
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 10, 2006
        J,

        You might take a look at the diytube.com ST35 clone. It's a modified Mullard design clone of the Dynaco ST35...EL84 push/pull. It's about 17/18 watts per channel and sounds really nice. They have a great forum over there and the guy who sells the board is really good about answering questions. You get a taste of DIY without jumping right into point-to-point wiring. I built one and if I make it to the meeting, I'll bring it along.

        Mark

        Fred <fredaudio@...> wrote :

        > If you can go pure DIY there are lots of options.
        >
        > If you would prefer a kit the two that come to mind are the $369
        > Bottlehead SEX amp and the $299 Abraxas Audio Spud amp kits. Abraxas
        > also provides the schematic and parts list if you would prefer to
        > save a few dollars by building that one yourself.
        >

        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
        >

        >  Visit your group "
      • russman_dac
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 14, 2006
          That little Radii is SICK, one of the best buys I've ever made in
          audio. If you do talk to Franz (the tuner guy), he'll take good care
          of you - I love doing business with him.

          I'll see what I can dig up that's affordable pre-meet.

          Welcome!

          Cheers,
          Russ
        • russman_dac
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 15, 2006
            Ok, on the affordable side, I have a pair of ASL Wave 20 monoblocks.
            Push pull 6L6, 20-22 watts. One 12AX7 front end driver, solid state
            rectification. Asking $275 for the pair.

            Cheers,
            Russ
          • Fred Thompson

              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 17, 2006