can anyone turn me a couple of pairs of wood phase plugs

    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 27, 2004
      Does anyone on this board have a lathe setup that can
      turn a bullet point on some 3/4 to 1" wooden dowel?

      something like this :
      http://www.planet10-hifi.com/pp-info.html

      planning to put the fostex 166e under the knife
      someday and install (removeable) plugs to observe
      their effect on dispersion and high frequency
      extension .

      thanks, Vinay

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • Dennis Boyle
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 27, 2004

        You might want to consider doing the same thing Voight did with the Lowther drivers, find some wooden drawer pulls in various shapes. You might be able to use a short threaded rod to mount them in a drill press or a lathe chuck and shape them with a wood rasp.

        There were some interesting posts on the web about the effectiveness of various plug shapes to improve the frequency response  of the Lowther DX drivers. When my computer blew up a couple of months ago I lost all the web links I had on file……lost all the fascinating stuff I would probably never use.

        Dennis Boyle

        Chimera Laboratories

        Website: http://www.chimeralabs.com/

        Website: http://home.att.net/~chimeraone/index.html

        Does anyone on this board have a lathe setup that can
        turn a bullet point on some 3/4 to 1" wooden dowel?

        something like this :
        http://www.planet10-hifi.com/pp-info.html

        planning to put the fostex 166e under the knife
        someday and install (removeable) plugs to observe
        their effect on dispersion and high frequency
        extension .

        thanks, Vinay

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

        ---
        Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

        ---

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 27, 2004
          You mean something like this (don't laugh)
          http://audioprogress.free.fr/

          hmm ... might try sticking ping pong balls onto a
          dowel

          Thanks,

          Vinay

          "http://www.chimeralabs.com/"http://www.chimeralabs.com/

          "http://home.att.net/~chimeraone/index.html"http://home.att.net/~chimera

          "http://www.planet10-hifi.com/pp-info.html"http://www.planet10-hifi.com/

          "http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail"http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_ma
          > il
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          > HYPERLINK

          "http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129aqbb40/M=288055.5305875.6411081.2127756/

          D=groups/S=1705017563:HM/EXP=1093709235/A=2193927/R=0/SIG=12h94mm4e/*htt

          p:/store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?yhst-56407110520241+QADt9Y+icopydvds2.h

          "http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=288055.5305875.6411081.2127756/D=group
          > s/S=:HM/A=2193927/rand=833972779"
          >
          > _____
          >
          > Yahoo! Groups Links
          > HYPERLINK

          > group/dallasaudioclub/

          > email to:
          > HYPERLINK

          > the HYPERLINK
          > "http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/"Yahoo! Terms of
          > Service.
          >
          > ---
          > Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.
          > Checked by AVG anti-virus system
          > (http://www.grisoft.com).
          > Date: 8/19/2004
          >

          > ---
          > Checked by AVG anti-virus system
          > (http://www.grisoft.com).
          > Date: 8/19/2004

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Dennis Boyle
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 27, 2004
            Thanks for the link...Using "off the shelf" plastic was pretty creative
            and the exponential phase plug sure tamed the infamous Lowther bump.
            There is a message there, if you take the time to think about it.

            The large Lowther "doorknob" wood phase plug used on the TP1s started
            life as a drawer pull knob.

            Maybe you can find a lot of things to try at the Grocery and Hardware
            stores. Let us know what you find out.

            Dennis Boyle
            Chimera Laboratories
            Website: http://www.chimeralabs.com/
            Website: http://home.att.net/~chimeraone/index.html

            You mean something like this (don't laugh)
            http://audioprogress.free.fr/

            hmm ... might try sticking ping pong balls onto a
            dowel

            Thanks,

            Vinay
            --- Dennis Boyle <chimeraone@...> wrote:

            > You might want to consider doing the same thing
            > Voight did with the
            > Lowther drivers, find some wooden drawer pulls in
            > various shapes. You
            > might be able to use a short threaded rod to mount
            > them in a drill press
            > or a lathe chuck and shape them with a wood rasp.
            >
            > There were some interesting posts on the web about
            > the effectiveness of
            > various plug shapes to improve the frequency
            > response of the Lowther DX
            > drivers. When my computer blew up a couple of months
            > ago I lost all the
            > web links I had on file……lost all the fascinating
            > stuff I would probably
            > never use.
            >
            > Dennis Boyle
            > Chimera Laboratories