Re: For Sale - EZ As Pie Speakers $200

    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 5, 2006
      Fred,
      We'll try EZee on up to the club meeting. EZ enough to say. How's
      your EZ payment options? 8:-)jim...
      -- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "Fred" <fredaudio@...> wrote:

      > Jim, it would be EZ as Pie for your brother to hear the EZ speakers
      > at the March 18 Lone Star Bottlehead meeting. Russ, who is an EZ
      > mark for grossly underpriced good sounding speakers, has bought
      them
      > and I'm delivering them to him at the meeting. It would be EZ for
      me
      > to build another pair. Does that sound EZ enough?
      >

      > --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "jim@" <jim@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Well Fred,
      > > Now you've done it. My brother has been scanning over your
      > speaker
      > > photos. And he isn't a true audiophile type dude... yet... but he
      > > likes what he sees and has asked me to set up a system in his
      > house.
      > > We shall see. Maybe I can drag him to a meeting soon.
      > > Ò¿Ò jim...
      > > --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Thompson"
      > > <fredaudio@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > OK, I'll admit my speakerbuilding is an obsessive/compulsive
      > > behavior. I couldn't stop if I wanted to, and it's safer and less
      > > expensive than strange sex, alcohol, or gambling anyway.
      > > >
      > > > The pair Russ has bought represents a breakthrough in my quest
      > > build a pair of speakers that's very affordable, sensitive enough
      > > be driven to satisfying levels by a 2A3 SET amp, and that sounds
      > > good. I tried it with line arrays, but when you add up the cost
      of
      > > all the drivers, even if they are buyout specials, it's
      expensive.
      > > tried it with good quality Seas aluminum cone drivers, but 86dB
      > > sensitivity doesn't do it with a SET amp. I also tried it with
      > Fostex
      > > full range drivers, but they don't sound very good unless you're
      > > willing to overlook an obnoxious treble peak and the complete
      > absence
      > > of low bass. I believe everybody at the next bottlehead meeting
      > will
      > > be pleasantly surprised by how good a $200 pair of high
      efficiency
      > > speakers can sound:)
      > > >
      > > > Russ, do you still have the Abraxas 6197 Spud amp? If you do I
      > > would like to hear these speakers with that little amp. Jeffery
      > had
      > > mentioned to me it's a bit soft in the lower bass, while low bass
      > is
      > > one of the the EZ speakers' strong points, so they might have
      good
      > > synergy together. The schematic for this amp is now availabe free
      > > DIY builders, and it's also available as a kit for $299, so the
      > Spud
      > > and the EZ speakers might be the cheapest way to get into a good
      > > sounding tube system.
      > > >
      > > > http://home.att.net/~abraxasaudio/projects/6197info/kit.html

    • russman_dac
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 5, 2006
        Nope, the Spud moved on down the road, to a friend looking to 'try' SEP.

        In the flea category, I have the Radii 8w Stereo push pull 6BM8, and a
        pair of 211 SE monoblocks good for 12 glorious watts.
      • AudioFile Records
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 8, 2006
          hello everyone, its J.  kinda new to this club but love reading the posts.
          im a 21 year old audiophile, if you believe that and am a fellow patron of your obsession.
          i have built a pair of single driver busche horns and am looking for the most tube amp for my money (DIY or not) and obliviously it doesnt need to be powerful.  if all  possible  i would like to meet with all of you at the meeting on the  18th.
          if anyone has some information on some glass power i'd love to hear about it. im kind of on a budget thanks to wonderful tuition so anything can help.

          glad to be a part of a sound cult (no pun intended)

          On 2/27/06, russman_dac <ranchodeaudio@...> wrote:
          Keep building them, I'll keep buying them.  These other guys will learn
          someday.

          Audio gear Digital audio Audio

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 9, 2006
            If you can go pure DIY there are lots of options.

            If you would prefer a kit the two that come to mind are the $369
            Bottlehead SEX amp and the $299 Abraxas Audio Spud amp kits. Abraxas
            also provides the schematic and parts list if you would prefer to
            save a few dollars by building that one yourself.
            http://www.bottlehead.com/et/adobespc/S.E.X./SEX.htm
            http://home.att.net/~abraxasaudio/projects/6197info/kit.html

            The best deal I know of out there for a new tube amp is the $295
            Radii MPP-08 mini power amp. You can hear it at Russ' house. You
            would also need a preamp, but it's easy to build a passive
            attenuator t ocontrol the volume.
            http://www.thetunerguy.com/new_radii.html

            Used tube equipment can be found on Audiogon and Ebay.

            --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "AudioFile Records"
            <audiofilerecords@...> wrote:

            > hello everyone, its J. kinda new to this club but love reading
            the posts.
            > im a 21 year old audiophile, if you believe that and am a fellow
            patron of
            > your obsession.
            > i have built a pair of single driver busche horns and am looking
            for the
            > most tube amp for my money (DIY or not) and obliviously it doesnt
            need to be
            > powerful. if all possible i would like to meet with all of you
            at the
            > meeting on the 18th.
            > if anyone has some information on some glass power i'd love to
            hear about
            > it. im kind of on a budget thanks to wonderful tuition so anything
            can help.

            > glad to be a part of a sound cult (no pun intended)

            > On 2/27/06, russman_dac <ranchodeaudio@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Keep building them, I'll keep buying them. These other guys
            will learn
            > > someday.

            t=ms&k=Audio+gear&w1=Audio+gear&w2=Digital+audio&w3=Audio&c=3&s=46&.s
            ig=KjbjUP6FnGCJ4Jd8xjkUFw> Digital
            > > audio<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
            t=ms&k=Digital+audio&w1=Audio+gear&w2=Digital+audio&w3=Audio&c=3&s=46
            &.sig=Cxw1JE8REh-4-GZfkSB9Ow>
            > > Audio<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
            t=ms&k=Audio&w1=Audio+gear&w2=Digital+audio&w3=Audio&c=3&s=46&.sig=7h
            2Lwh0mKFBSnoXUxWFJGg>
            "

          • mdchilds1155@mesh.net
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 10, 2006
              J,

              You might take a look at the diytube.com ST35 clone. It's a modified Mullard design clone of the Dynaco ST35...EL84 push/pull. It's about 17/18 watts per channel and sounds really nice. They have a great forum over there and the guy who sells the board is really good about answering questions. You get a taste of DIY without jumping right into point-to-point wiring. I built one and if I make it to the meeting, I'll bring it along.

              Mark

              Fred <fredaudio@...> wrote :

              > If you can go pure DIY there are lots of options.
              >
              > If you would prefer a kit the two that come to mind are the $369
              > Bottlehead SEX amp and the $299 Abraxas Audio Spud amp kits. Abraxas
              > also provides the schematic and parts list if you would prefer to
              > save a few dollars by building that one yourself.
              >

              > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
              >

              >  Visit your group "
            • russman_dac
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 14, 2006
                That little Radii is SICK, one of the best buys I've ever made in
                audio. If you do talk to Franz (the tuner guy), he'll take good care
                of you - I love doing business with him.

                I'll see what I can dig up that's affordable pre-meet.

                Welcome!

                Cheers,
                Russ
              • russman_dac
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 15, 2006
                  Ok, on the affordable side, I have a pair of ASL Wave 20 monoblocks.
                  Push pull 6L6, 20-22 watts. One 12AX7 front end driver, solid state
                  rectification. Asking $275 for the pair.

                  Cheers,
                  Russ
                • Fred Thompson

                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 17, 2006