Re: For Sale - EZ As Pie Speakers $200

    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 5, 2006
      Jim, it would be EZ as Pie for your brother to hear the EZ speakers
      at the March 18 Lone Star Bottlehead meeting. Russ, who is an EZ
      mark for grossly underpriced good sounding speakers, has bought them
      and I'm delivering them to him at the meeting. It would be EZ for me
      to build another pair. Does that sound EZ enough?

      --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "jim@..." <jim@...> wrote:

      > Well Fred,
      > Now you've done it. My brother has been scanning over your
      speaker
      > photos. And he isn't a true audiophile type dude... yet... but he
      > likes what he sees and has asked me to set up a system in his
      house.
      > We shall see. Maybe I can drag him to a meeting soon.
      > Ò¿Ò jim...
      > --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Thompson"
      > <fredaudio@> wrote:
      > >
      > > OK, I'll admit my speakerbuilding is an obsessive/compulsive
      > behavior. I couldn't stop if I wanted to, and it's safer and less
      > expensive than strange sex, alcohol, or gambling anyway.
      > >
      > > The pair Russ has bought represents a breakthrough in my quest
      > build a pair of speakers that's very affordable, sensitive enough
      > be driven to satisfying levels by a 2A3 SET amp, and that sounds
      > good. I tried it with line arrays, but when you add up the cost of
      > all the drivers, even if they are buyout specials, it's expensive.
      > tried it with good quality Seas aluminum cone drivers, but 86dB
      > sensitivity doesn't do it with a SET amp. I also tried it with
      Fostex
      > full range drivers, but they don't sound very good unless you're
      > willing to overlook an obnoxious treble peak and the complete
      absence
      > of low bass. I believe everybody at the next bottlehead meeting
      will
      > be pleasantly surprised by how good a $200 pair of high efficiency
      > speakers can sound:)
      > >
      > > Russ, do you still have the Abraxas 6197 Spud amp? If you do I
      > would like to hear these speakers with that little amp. Jeffery
      had
      > mentioned to me it's a bit soft in the lower bass, while low bass
      is
      > one of the the EZ speakers' strong points, so they might have good
      > synergy together. The schematic for this amp is now availabe free
      > DIY builders, and it's also available as a kit for $299, so the
      Spud
      > and the EZ speakers might be the cheapest way to get into a good
      > sounding tube system.
      > >
      > > http://home.att.net/~abraxasaudio/projects/6197info/kit.html

      Terms

      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 5, 2006
        Fred,
        We'll try EZee on up to the club meeting. EZ enough to say. How's
        your EZ payment options? 8:-)jim...
        -- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "Fred" <fredaudio@...> wrote:

        > Jim, it would be EZ as Pie for your brother to hear the EZ speakers
        > at the March 18 Lone Star Bottlehead meeting. Russ, who is an EZ
        > mark for grossly underpriced good sounding speakers, has bought
        them
        > and I'm delivering them to him at the meeting. It would be EZ for
        me
        > to build another pair. Does that sound EZ enough?
        >

        > --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "jim@" <jim@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Well Fred,
        > > Now you've done it. My brother has been scanning over your
        > speaker
        > > photos. And he isn't a true audiophile type dude... yet... but he
        > > likes what he sees and has asked me to set up a system in his
        > house.
        > > We shall see. Maybe I can drag him to a meeting soon.
        > > Ò¿Ò jim...
        > > --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Thompson"
        > > <fredaudio@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > OK, I'll admit my speakerbuilding is an obsessive/compulsive
        > > behavior. I couldn't stop if I wanted to, and it's safer and less
        > > expensive than strange sex, alcohol, or gambling anyway.
        > > >
        > > > The pair Russ has bought represents a breakthrough in my quest
        > > build a pair of speakers that's very affordable, sensitive enough
        > > be driven to satisfying levels by a 2A3 SET amp, and that sounds
        > > good. I tried it with line arrays, but when you add up the cost
        of
        > > all the drivers, even if they are buyout specials, it's
        expensive.
        > > tried it with good quality Seas aluminum cone drivers, but 86dB
        > > sensitivity doesn't do it with a SET amp. I also tried it with
        > Fostex
        > > full range drivers, but they don't sound very good unless you're
        > > willing to overlook an obnoxious treble peak and the complete
        > absence
        > > of low bass. I believe everybody at the next bottlehead meeting
        > will
        > > be pleasantly surprised by how good a $200 pair of high
        efficiency
        > > speakers can sound:)
        > > >
        > > > Russ, do you still have the Abraxas 6197 Spud amp? If you do I
        > > would like to hear these speakers with that little amp. Jeffery
        > had
        > > mentioned to me it's a bit soft in the lower bass, while low bass
        > is
        > > one of the the EZ speakers' strong points, so they might have
        good
        > > synergy together. The schematic for this amp is now availabe free
        > > DIY builders, and it's also available as a kit for $299, so the
        > Spud
        > > and the EZ speakers might be the cheapest way to get into a good
        > > sounding tube system.
        > > >
        > > > http://home.att.net/~abraxasaudio/projects/6197info/kit.html

      • russman_dac
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 5, 2006
          Nope, the Spud moved on down the road, to a friend looking to 'try' SEP.

          In the flea category, I have the Radii 8w Stereo push pull 6BM8, and a
          pair of 211 SE monoblocks good for 12 glorious watts.
        • AudioFile Records
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 8, 2006
            hello everyone, its J.  kinda new to this club but love reading the posts.
            im a 21 year old audiophile, if you believe that and am a fellow patron of your obsession.
            i have built a pair of single driver busche horns and am looking for the most tube amp for my money (DIY or not) and obliviously it doesnt need to be powerful.  if all  possible  i would like to meet with all of you at the meeting on the  18th.
            if anyone has some information on some glass power i'd love to hear about it. im kind of on a budget thanks to wonderful tuition so anything can help.

            glad to be a part of a sound cult (no pun intended)

            On 2/27/06, russman_dac <ranchodeaudio@...> wrote:
            Keep building them, I'll keep buying them.  These other guys will learn
            someday.

            Audio gear Digital audio Audio

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 9, 2006
              If you can go pure DIY there are lots of options.

              If you would prefer a kit the two that come to mind are the $369
              Bottlehead SEX amp and the $299 Abraxas Audio Spud amp kits. Abraxas
              also provides the schematic and parts list if you would prefer to
              save a few dollars by building that one yourself.
              http://www.bottlehead.com/et/adobespc/S.E.X./SEX.htm
              http://home.att.net/~abraxasaudio/projects/6197info/kit.html

              The best deal I know of out there for a new tube amp is the $295
              Radii MPP-08 mini power amp. You can hear it at Russ' house. You
              would also need a preamp, but it's easy to build a passive
              attenuator t ocontrol the volume.
              http://www.thetunerguy.com/new_radii.html

              Used tube equipment can be found on Audiogon and Ebay.

              --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "AudioFile Records"
              <audiofilerecords@...> wrote:

              > hello everyone, its J. kinda new to this club but love reading
              the posts.
              > im a 21 year old audiophile, if you believe that and am a fellow
              patron of
              > your obsession.
              > i have built a pair of single driver busche horns and am looking
              for the
              > most tube amp for my money (DIY or not) and obliviously it doesnt
              need to be
              > powerful. if all possible i would like to meet with all of you
              at the
              > meeting on the 18th.
              > if anyone has some information on some glass power i'd love to
              hear about
              > it. im kind of on a budget thanks to wonderful tuition so anything
              can help.

              > glad to be a part of a sound cult (no pun intended)

              > On 2/27/06, russman_dac <ranchodeaudio@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Keep building them, I'll keep buying them. These other guys
              will learn
              > > someday.

              t=ms&k=Audio+gear&w1=Audio+gear&w2=Digital+audio&w3=Audio&c=3&s=46&.s
              ig=KjbjUP6FnGCJ4Jd8xjkUFw> Digital
              > > audio<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
              t=ms&k=Digital+audio&w1=Audio+gear&w2=Digital+audio&w3=Audio&c=3&s=46
              &.sig=Cxw1JE8REh-4-GZfkSB9Ow>
              > > Audio<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
              t=ms&k=Audio&w1=Audio+gear&w2=Digital+audio&w3=Audio&c=3&s=46&.sig=7h
              2Lwh0mKFBSnoXUxWFJGg>
              "

            • mdchilds1155@mesh.net
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 10, 2006
                J,

                You might take a look at the diytube.com ST35 clone. It's a modified Mullard design clone of the Dynaco ST35...EL84 push/pull. It's about 17/18 watts per channel and sounds really nice. They have a great forum over there and the guy who sells the board is really good about answering questions. You get a taste of DIY without jumping right into point-to-point wiring. I built one and if I make it to the meeting, I'll bring it along.

                Mark

                Fred <fredaudio@...> wrote :

                > If you can go pure DIY there are lots of options.
                >
                > If you would prefer a kit the two that come to mind are the $369
                > Bottlehead SEX amp and the $299 Abraxas Audio Spud amp kits. Abraxas
                > also provides the schematic and parts list if you would prefer to
                > save a few dollars by building that one yourself.
                >

                > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                >

                >  Visit your group "
              • russman_dac
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 14, 2006
                  That little Radii is SICK, one of the best buys I've ever made in
                  audio. If you do talk to Franz (the tuner guy), he'll take good care
                  of you - I love doing business with him.

                  I'll see what I can dig up that's affordable pre-meet.

                  Welcome!

                  Cheers,
                  Russ
                • russman_dac
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 15, 2006
                    Ok, on the affordable side, I have a pair of ASL Wave 20 monoblocks.
                    Push pull 6L6, 20-22 watts. One 12AX7 front end driver, solid state
                    rectification. Asking $275 for the pair.

                    Cheers,
                    Russ
                  • Fred Thompson

                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 17, 2006