For Sale - EZ As Pie Speakers $200

    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 27, 2006
      They're almost broken in, so it's time to move them out of the house
      to make way for my next project. The full documentation of their
      assembly can be found at http://fredt300b.smugmug.com/gallery/1187889

      These speakers combine the Eminence Alpha 8 woofer with the Vifa DX25
      tweeter. Dimensions are 38"H, 11.25"W, 12.5"D. The first order
      crossover includes an Alpha Core copper foil inductor and a Northcreek
      Zen capacitor. The total cost to build these speakers was a bit more
      than the price I'm asking. They are highly dynamic and the bass is
      surprisingly good, even for a speaker with a relatively large 8"
      woofer. Sensitivity is about 95dB. They are easily driven to room
      filling volumes with my 3 watt Bottlehead Paramours, and they play
      clearly at ear damaging levels with a 20 watt amp.

      I can't ship them, but you can hear them at the Bottlehead meeting in
      McKinney on March 18th. Or if you prefer you can audition them anytime
      at my house in Houston.
    • russman_dac
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 27, 2006
        SOLD!
      • Fred Thompson
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 27, 2006
          OK, Russ gets the Ez As Pie speakers. This sale was EZ As Pie!
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 27, 2006
            Keep building them, I'll keep buying them. These other guys will learn
            someday.
          • Fred Thompson
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 28, 2006
              OK, I'll admit my speakerbuilding is an obsessive/compulsive behavior. I couldn't stop if I wanted to, and it's safer and less expensive than strange sex, alcohol, or gambling anyway.

              The pair Russ has bought represents a breakthrough in my quest to build a pair of speakers that's very affordable, sensitive enough to be driven to satisfying levels by a 2A3 SET amp, and that sounds good. I tried it with line arrays, but when you add up the cost of all the drivers, even if they are buyout specials, it's expensive. I tried it with good quality Seas aluminum cone drivers, but 86dB sensitivity doesn't do it with a SET amp. I also tried it with Fostex full range drivers, but they don't sound very good unless you're willing to overlook an obnoxious treble peak and the complete absence of low bass. I believe everybody at the next bottlehead meeting will be pleasantly surprised by how good a $200 pair of high efficiency speakers can sound:)

              Russ, do you still have the Abraxas 6197 Spud amp? If you do I would like to hear these speakers with that little amp. Jeffery had mentioned to me it's a bit soft in the lower bass, while low bass is one of the the EZ speakers' strong points, so they might have good synergy together. The schematic for this amp is now availabe free to DIY builders, and it's also available as a kit for $299, so the Spud and the EZ speakers might be the cheapest way to get into a good sounding tube system.

              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 28, 2006
                Well Fred,
                Now you've done it. My brother has been scanning over your speaker
                photos. And he isn't a true audiophile type dude... yet... but he
                likes what he sees and has asked me to set up a system in his house.
                We shall see. Maybe I can drag him to a meeting soon.
                Ò¿Ò jim...
                --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Thompson"

                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 5, 2006
                  Jim, it would be EZ as Pie for your brother to hear the EZ speakers
                  at the March 18 Lone Star Bottlehead meeting. Russ, who is an EZ
                  mark for grossly underpriced good sounding speakers, has bought them
                  and I'm delivering them to him at the meeting. It would be EZ for me
                  to build another pair. Does that sound EZ enough?

                  --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "jim@..." <jim@...> wrote:

                  > Well Fred,
                  > Now you've done it. My brother has been scanning over your
                  speaker
                  > photos. And he isn't a true audiophile type dude... yet... but he
                  > likes what he sees and has asked me to set up a system in his
                  house.
                  > We shall see. Maybe I can drag him to a meeting soon.
                  > Ò¿Ò jim...
                  > --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Thompson"
                  > <fredaudio@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > OK, I'll admit my speakerbuilding is an obsessive/compulsive
                  > behavior. I couldn't stop if I wanted to, and it's safer and less
                  > expensive than strange sex, alcohol, or gambling anyway.
                  > >
                  > > The pair Russ has bought represents a breakthrough in my quest
                  > build a pair of speakers that's very affordable, sensitive enough
                  > be driven to satisfying levels by a 2A3 SET amp, and that sounds
                  > good. I tried it with line arrays, but when you add up the cost of
                  > all the drivers, even if they are buyout specials, it's expensive.
                  > tried it with good quality Seas aluminum cone drivers, but 86dB
                  > sensitivity doesn't do it with a SET amp. I also tried it with
                  Fostex
                  > full range drivers, but they don't sound very good unless you're
                  > willing to overlook an obnoxious treble peak and the complete
                  absence
                  > of low bass. I believe everybody at the next bottlehead meeting
                  will
                  > be pleasantly surprised by how good a $200 pair of high efficiency
                  > speakers can sound:)
                  > >
                  > > Russ, do you still have the Abraxas 6197 Spud amp? If you do I
                  > would like to hear these speakers with that little amp. Jeffery
                  had
                  > mentioned to me it's a bit soft in the lower bass, while low bass
                  is
                  > one of the the EZ speakers' strong points, so they might have good
                  > synergy together. The schematic for this amp is now availabe free
                  > DIY builders, and it's also available as a kit for $299, so the
                  Spud
                  > and the EZ speakers might be the cheapest way to get into a good
                  > sounding tube system.
                  > >
                  > > http://home.att.net/~abraxasaudio/projects/6197info/kit.html

                  Terms

                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 5, 2006
                    Fred,
                    We'll try EZee on up to the club meeting. EZ enough to say. How's
                    your EZ payment options? 8:-)jim...
                    -- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "Fred" <fredaudio@...> wrote:

                    > Jim, it would be EZ as Pie for your brother to hear the EZ speakers
                    > at the March 18 Lone Star Bottlehead meeting. Russ, who is an EZ
                    > mark for grossly underpriced good sounding speakers, has bought
                    them
                    > and I'm delivering them to him at the meeting. It would be EZ for
                    me
                    > to build another pair. Does that sound EZ enough?
                    >

                    > --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "jim@" <jim@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Well Fred,
                    > > Now you've done it. My brother has been scanning over your
                    > speaker
                    > > photos. And he isn't a true audiophile type dude... yet... but he
                    > > likes what he sees and has asked me to set up a system in his
                    > house.
                    > > We shall see. Maybe I can drag him to a meeting soon.
                    > > Ò¿Ò jim...
                    > > --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Thompson"
                    > > <fredaudio@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > OK, I'll admit my speakerbuilding is an obsessive/compulsive
                    > > behavior. I couldn't stop if I wanted to, and it's safer and less
                    > > expensive than strange sex, alcohol, or gambling anyway.
                    > > >
                    > > > The pair Russ has bought represents a breakthrough in my quest
                    > > build a pair of speakers that's very affordable, sensitive enough
                    > > be driven to satisfying levels by a 2A3 SET amp, and that sounds
                    > > good. I tried it with line arrays, but when you add up the cost
                    of
                    > > all the drivers, even if they are buyout specials, it's
                    expensive.
                    > > tried it with good quality Seas aluminum cone drivers, but 86dB
                    > > sensitivity doesn't do it with a SET amp. I also tried it with
                    > Fostex
                    > > full range drivers, but they don't sound very good unless you're
                    > > willing to overlook an obnoxious treble peak and the complete
                    > absence
                    > > of low bass. I believe everybody at the next bottlehead meeting
                    > will
                    > > be pleasantly surprised by how good a $200 pair of high
                    efficiency
                    > > speakers can sound:)
                    > > >
                    > > > Russ, do you still have the Abraxas 6197 Spud amp? If you do I
                    > > would like to hear these speakers with that little amp. Jeffery
                    > had
                    > > mentioned to me it's a bit soft in the lower bass, while low bass
                    > is
                    > > one of the the EZ speakers' strong points, so they might have
                    good
                    > > synergy together. The schematic for this amp is now availabe free
                    > > DIY builders, and it's also available as a kit for $299, so the
                    > Spud
                    > > and the EZ speakers might be the cheapest way to get into a good
                    > > sounding tube system.
                    > > >
                    > > > http://home.att.net/~abraxasaudio/projects/6197info/kit.html

                  • russman_dac
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 5, 2006
                      Nope, the Spud moved on down the road, to a friend looking to 'try' SEP.

                      In the flea category, I have the Radii 8w Stereo push pull 6BM8, and a
                      pair of 211 SE monoblocks good for 12 glorious watts.
                    • AudioFile Records
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 8, 2006
                        hello everyone, its J.  kinda new to this club but love reading the posts.
                        im a 21 year old audiophile, if you believe that and am a fellow patron of your obsession.
                        i have built a pair of single driver busche horns and am looking for the most tube amp for my money (DIY or not) and obliviously it doesnt need to be powerful.  if all  possible  i would like to meet with all of you at the meeting on the  18th.
                        if anyone has some information on some glass power i'd love to hear about it. im kind of on a budget thanks to wonderful tuition so anything can help.

                        glad to be a part of a sound cult (no pun intended)

                        On 2/27/06, russman_dac <ranchodeaudio@...> wrote:
                        Keep building them, I'll keep buying them.  These other guys will learn
                        someday.

                        Audio gear Digital audio Audio

                        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 9, 2006
                          If you can go pure DIY there are lots of options.

                          If you would prefer a kit the two that come to mind are the $369
                          Bottlehead SEX amp and the $299 Abraxas Audio Spud amp kits. Abraxas
                          also provides the schematic and parts list if you would prefer to
                          save a few dollars by building that one yourself.
                          http://www.bottlehead.com/et/adobespc/S.E.X./SEX.htm
                          http://home.att.net/~abraxasaudio/projects/6197info/kit.html

                          The best deal I know of out there for a new tube amp is the $295
                          Radii MPP-08 mini power amp. You can hear it at Russ' house. You
                          would also need a preamp, but it's easy to build a passive
                          attenuator t ocontrol the volume.
                          http://www.thetunerguy.com/new_radii.html

                          Used tube equipment can be found on Audiogon and Ebay.

                          --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "AudioFile Records"
                          <audiofilerecords@...> wrote:

                          > hello everyone, its J. kinda new to this club but love reading
                          the posts.
                          > im a 21 year old audiophile, if you believe that and am a fellow
                          patron of
                          > your obsession.
                          > i have built a pair of single driver busche horns and am looking
                          for the
                          > most tube amp for my money (DIY or not) and obliviously it doesnt
                          need to be
                          > powerful. if all possible i would like to meet with all of you
                          at the
                          > meeting on the 18th.
                          > if anyone has some information on some glass power i'd love to
                          hear about
                          > it. im kind of on a budget thanks to wonderful tuition so anything
                          can help.

                          > glad to be a part of a sound cult (no pun intended)

                          > On 2/27/06, russman_dac <ranchodeaudio@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Keep building them, I'll keep buying them. These other guys
                          will learn
                          > > someday.

                          t=ms&k=Audio+gear&w1=Audio+gear&w2=Digital+audio&w3=Audio&c=3&s=46&.s
                          ig=KjbjUP6FnGCJ4Jd8xjkUFw> Digital
                          > > audio<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                          t=ms&k=Digital+audio&w1=Audio+gear&w2=Digital+audio&w3=Audio&c=3&s=46
                          &.sig=Cxw1JE8REh-4-GZfkSB9Ow>
                          > > Audio<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                          t=ms&k=Audio&w1=Audio+gear&w2=Digital+audio&w3=Audio&c=3&s=46&.sig=7h
                          2Lwh0mKFBSnoXUxWFJGg>
                          "

                        • mdchilds1155@mesh.net
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 10, 2006
                            J,

                            You might take a look at the diytube.com ST35 clone. It's a modified Mullard design clone of the Dynaco ST35...EL84 push/pull. It's about 17/18 watts per channel and sounds really nice. They have a great forum over there and the guy who sells the board is really good about answering questions. You get a taste of DIY without jumping right into point-to-point wiring. I built one and if I make it to the meeting, I'll bring it along.

                            Mark

                            Fred <fredaudio@...> wrote :

                            > If you can go pure DIY there are lots of options.
                            >
                            > If you would prefer a kit the two that come to mind are the $369
                            > Bottlehead SEX amp and the $299 Abraxas Audio Spud amp kits. Abraxas
                            > also provides the schematic and parts list if you would prefer to
                            > save a few dollars by building that one yourself.
                            >

                            > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                            >

                            >  Visit your group "
                          • russman_dac
                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 14, 2006
                              That little Radii is SICK, one of the best buys I've ever made in
                              audio. If you do talk to Franz (the tuner guy), he'll take good care
                              of you - I love doing business with him.

                              I'll see what I can dig up that's affordable pre-meet.

                              Welcome!

                              Cheers,
                              Russ
                            • russman_dac
                              Message 14 of 16 , Mar 15, 2006
                                Ok, on the affordable side, I have a pair of ASL Wave 20 monoblocks.
                                Push pull 6L6, 20-22 watts. One 12AX7 front end driver, solid state
                                rectification. Asking $275 for the pair.

                                Cheers,
                                Russ
                              • Fred Thompson

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Mar 17, 2006