Sonic Satisfaction versus The Audio Quest

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 7 7:09 AM
          Is it really possible to be satisfied in a hobby? In our audio hobby? Is the avid fisherman happy with the lures now in his tackle box? Can a stamp collector be satisfied with only the stamps he already owns? How many cars and cycles does Jay Leno need to get from point A to point B? Hobbies seem to be an ever evolving, ever changing experience. And audio is usually no different. Over the last 12 months, I have listened in at least 5 homes to audio systems that cost $100,000 and up. Way up! And, of course, have listened to many, many that cost way less. These included nearly full DIY systems as well as some "Best Buy" type systems. Most all sounded pretty darn good up to so grand it would raised chill bumps on your neck. Pretty much all the owners of all these systems weren't satisfied though and continue their search for audio nirvana. Well, I came to a decision a few nights ago that "it don't get no better than this". I've decided my system is pretty much perfect. At least for my tastes. I have reached audio nirvana and plan on listening to a LOT more music and doing a lot less work chasing that impossible sonic perfection that so eludes so many of us.
          You poor suckers! he, he, he! Come on dudes and dudettes, don't be jealous. Be happy for me. And I promise when you're invited to listen at my place, I won't charge you for the privilege. ô¿ô  jim...
    • Michael Young
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 7 8:01 AM
        Jim, I've had much the same experience. A few years
        back, I spent the afternoon with an audiophile
        acquaintance who had something better than $60,000 in
        his main system and probably $20,000 in the old stuff
        that was still on his stereo rack. At the time, I was
        using an '80s Pioneer integrated, a pair of '60s
        vintage speakers I found on the street, a modest Rega
        P3 TT and a pretty basic CD player.

        Naturally, I was prepared for audio nirvana. Instead,
        I was pinned to the back of my seat as he showed what
        his system could do. OK, that's a momentary thing, I
        thought. But no, the volume dial never nudged from
        "11." The upper frequencies were super sharp and the
        bass so overwhelming my lungs vibrated. And in the
        end, I left thinking my little rig at home was
        actually more "musical."

        I've upgraded modestly over the last few years -- a
        better cartridge, new single-driver speakers (for
        $600), a cheap subwoofer that works just fine in my
        tiny room, and one of Gary Dodd's wonderful headphone
        amps that I couple with a pair of basic Grado 'phones.
        You know what? In my very small room, for my taste in
        music, the system sounds great.

        Do I ever envy those who can (and do) spend lavishly
        on their hobby? Well, sure. But I can't (or won't).
        Maybe I'm just too darn cheap. Or maybe I'm just content.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 8 4:33 AM
          Hi Michael, Yep. I agree. Throwing loys of money at the problem isn't
          the best approach for sure. Small systems in small rooms can be quite
          satisfying. jim...
          --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, Michael Young <myoung310@...>