New Home Page Photo

    Message 1 of 23 , Jan 23, 2006
      What your living room looks like after you invite 28 audiophiles over to help "decorate" it.
      Ò¿Ò  jim...

      More pics will be posted in the Photos section inside the "Oscar" folder
      Message 2 of 23 , Jan 23, 2006
        Another new Home Page Photo. Oscar's Home Theater room. Ò¿Ò jim...

        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 29 7:05 PM
          Ken Valliant's listening room. JM Labs Daline 3.1 like mine. Modified
          Heathkit W3Ms, by me. Wood face phono stage built/modified, by me.
          ssShelves, turntable for 33/78 rigs modified/built by Ken V. 78
          amp/phono rig for mono system in unseen corner sitting on phono stage
          with wooden face plate. Several more close ups in the Photos section in
          folder titled "0 Ken's room". jim...
        • shrinkboy99
          Message 4 of 23 , Aug 30 6:13 AM
            looks cool. i wonder what ken v. started with in his turntable build?
            i am always interested in a project like that; i have begun working on
            a lenco L78 idler drive. so far have serviced the bearing and stripped
            the top plate of all the rattly stuff, and gotten a good rough fit for
            a Linn Basik tonearm. will be doing a plinth like ken's when the
            weather is friendly to working outdoors.

            what is the rear tonearm? the one in front is a Rega? i'm guessing
            rek-o-kut for the rear....
            Message 5 of 23 , Aug 30 6:40 AM
              Hi Jim,
              The front arm is a Rega RB300. The back has the mono cartridge for
              the 78 rig. This TT project is an idler drive. I'll ask Ken for more
              info to post. jim...
              --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "shrinkboy99"

              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 9, 2007
                Today's meeting at Dave's Place. I'll be loading more pics in the
                Photos section under folder "Dave's Place"
              • bearhifi
                Message 7 of 23 , Sep 11, 2007
                  --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <jim@...> wrote:

                  > Today's meeting at Dave's Place. I'll be loading more pics in the
                  > Photos section under folder "Dave's Place"

                  I am so dang mad that I had to miss this one!!!! Looks like there was
                  some very cool DIY speakers and a very nice audio room to boot!
                • blrchapman
                  Message 8 of 23 , Sep 11, 2007
                    Don't sweat it. We get together pretty frequently. The funny part is
                    that we did not even listen to all of them . I left several DIY
                    speakers at home, and we only listened to two pairs of Dave's. There
                    will be more. We just wanted a feel for the DAC group. We are
                    contemplating a conference room in a few months with minimal admission
                    price to share the cost of the room if people are willing to attend. It
                    would be more of an all day event with chairs and a large set of tables
                    set up. We'll keep in touch. Oh, I'm the young'n with the smart a**
                    grin in the middle of the picture;)

                    Blair
                  • jktdet
                    Message 9 of 23 , Sep 11, 2007
                      Blair might be the young one but his memory is not so good because
                      we listened to 7 different speakers and a couple of different amp/cd
                      player setups:

                      A budget 3 way using Silver Flute 8" woofer and 5" midrange both
                      poly kevlar coated paper and the tweeter we fondly refer to as the
                      chinese wonder. Nice nuetral sound easy to listen to with great
                      imaging and soundstage. Weakness was maybe a slight loss in dynamics
                      attributed to a low sensitivity of around 86db.

                      A dipole midrange that uses a pair of Dayton Reference Series 8"
                      aluminum woofers per in 70 liters tuned to 32Hz. It has the ever
                      famous Seas P17REX 6.5 midwoofer running open baffle crossed to a
                      Seas 25TFFC fabric dome tweeter. Very dynamic and accurate bass
                      response, the aluminum drivers are very fast and the ported
                      enclosure is tuned low and effeciently. The Seas midwoofer is
                      detailed and accurate. The tweeter is airy and unimposing without a
                      hint of harshness some might prefer a bit more detail in the highs.
                      Weaknesses are non-existent but since I designed and built them I am
                      biased.

                      We also had a pair of Focal/Fountek 2 ways. These use a Focal 7"
                      midwoofer and Fountek aluminum ribbon tweeter. All I can say is they
                      are a really great reference speaker. They do absolutely nothing
                      wrong.

                      We also heard a pair of Peerless mini-monitors just incredible
                      speaker to be in an 8 liter cabinet. Too bad Peerless quit building
                      that 5.25" midwoofer as it had 91db of effeciency.

                      We had a two pair of BR-1 monitors both the standard and the Dennis
                      Murphy modded one. Nice little monitors and a steal at the price.
                      Midrange has always been their weakness.

                      We also had a pair of vintage NAS towers 8" woofer and the standard
                      Phillips mylar tweeter. Dynamic with good bass and lower midrange
                      but that 8" woofer beams horribly.

                      Then we had a couple of different amps/cd players going one KT88
                      push pull amp with Gold Lion output tubes, a Lite audio DAC and
                      Pioneer Elite SACD player. This is my system. THen we had Blair's
                      KT88 amp, 6SN7 preamp and MHSZ cd player with tube driver.
                      Everything was connected with home brew interconnects and Blair's
                      home brew braided cat5 speaker cable.

                      Any way it was DIY paradise. Very enjoyable afternoon.

                      Dave
                    • jktdet

                        Message 11 of 23 , Sep 11, 2007
                          Ah details....

                          I didn't want to make him feel bad for missing the event;)

                          It was definitely a very fun and enjoyable afternoon even though I
                          was covered with sweat by noon. Dave and I finished those "chinese
                          wonders" just after the first attendee from the DAC showed up. They
                          are freat speakers and I really am delighted to be part of the
                          building team. The speakers are all as Dave described. I should have
                          said that we listened to a bunch of DIY gear, and there would have
                          been plenty for a second day if we brought all our gear out.

                          The session was great, and it assisted me in revealing something
                          about my amp that was simply my mistake. I need to up my cap bank
                          because my low end sags during demanding passages at higher volumes.
                          I'll fix that and then I'm on a tear to make another open baffle
                          hybrid. We will definitely post the next event far more prior to the
                          intended date. Wild hairs this time, what can we say.

                          Blair
                        • bearhifi
                          Message 12 of 23 , Sep 12, 2007
                            --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "blrchapman" <blair_4@...>
                            wrote:

                            > Don't sweat it. We get together pretty frequently. The funny part is
                            > that we did not even listen to all of them . I left several DIY
                            > speakers at home, and we only listened to two pairs of Dave's. There
                            > will be more. We just wanted a feel for the DAC group. We are
                            > contemplating a conference room in a few months with minimal
                            admission
                            > price to share the cost of the room if people are willing to attend.
                            It
                            > would be more of an all day event with chairs and a large set of
                            tables
                            > set up. We'll keep in touch. Oh, I'm the young'n with the smart a**
                            > grin in the middle of the picture;)
                            >
                            > Blair

                            Hook 'em Horns !
                          • Cameron Thorne
                            Message 13 of 23 , Sep 12, 2007
                              I'm disappointed that I missed this one too.  It looks like it would have been a lot of fun!

                              I'm still building my speakers, a few hours at a time, but when I finish them I'll let everyone know.

                              -- Cameron
                            • jktdet
                              Message 14 of 23 , Sep 12, 2007
                                --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "Cameron Thorne"
                                <cameronthorne+DAC@...> wrote:

                                > I'm disappointed that I missed this one too. It looks like it would
                                have
                                > been a lot of fun!
                                >
                                > I'm still building my speakers, a few hours at a time, but when I
                                finish
                                > them I'll let everyone know.
                                >
                                > -- Cameron

                                Cameron,

                                What are you designing?

                                I am working on a line array for one of the guys that was over on
                                Sunday. Using 8 Ascendant Audio 6.5" mids, BG neo 8 planar and Vifa XT
                                ring radiator for the top end.

                                Big, high effeciency speaker. With the exception of the Dayton
                                monitors and the Vintage NAS loudspeakers all the others from Sunday
                                are my designs. I enjoy loudspeaker/passive crossover design.

                                Dave
                              • Cameron Thorne
                                Message 15 of 23 , Sep 12, 2007
                                  They are not my design; I'm just assembling them.  This is my first real foray into either DIY or high-end audio, other than just theory.  I bought the design and circuit boards, and am building the enclosures and soldering the active crossovers/amps, though I did modify the crossover points for two circuits.  I've been working on this in my spare time for about the last six months.

                                  It is a living room surround sound system for multichannel music and movies.  5 Linkwitz Lab PLUTOs (2 of which are plus-versions) and a Rythmik 15" Servo sub in an end-table.  The PLUTOs are active loudspeakers, omni-directional up to about 3kHz.

                                  http://www.linkwitzlab.com/Pluto/intro.htm
                                  http://www.linkwitzlab.com/Pluto/subwoofer.htm
                                  http://rythmikaudio.com/DS15.html

                                  An Aura 2" titanium "full-range" driver is employed for tweeter duty, handling just over 1 decade, from 1kHz to 20kHz.
                                  An up-firing (aka off-axis) Peerless HDS 5.25" midrange (or alternately a new custom Seas driver) handles about 1 decade, from 120Hz to 1kHz.
                                  A Peerless SDS 10" woofer handles about half a decade, from 40Hz to 120Hz.
                                  And the Rythmik 15" subwoofer (made by TC sounds) handles about half a decade, from 14Hz to 40Hz.  It will be employed full-time, not just for LFE tracks on movies.

                                  All crossovers points are electro-acoustic LR4.  The center and surrounds do not have the 10" driver, so they are crossed over directly to the sub at 60Hz (obviously with less headroom than the front L/R speakers).

                                  Pictures of my progress so far:
                                  http://picasaweb.google.com/cameronthorne/LinkwitzPLUTO
                                  http://picasaweb.google.com/cameronthorne/LinkwitzPLUTO02
                                  http://picasaweb.google.com/cameronthorne/RythmikServo

                                  -- Cameron

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Sep 12, 2007
                                    Wow... great work. Nice design. I would love to hear it. I have read
                                    the info on the web about it but never heard one.

                                    Dave
                                  • Richard Rea
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Sep 12, 2007
                                      Very cool, sorry I missed as well.

                                      <cameronthorne+DAC@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                      > > >
                                      > > > I'm disappointed that I missed this one too. It looks like it
                                      would
                                      > > have
                                      > > > been a lot of fun!
                                      > > >
                                      > > > I'm still building my speakers, a few hours at a time, but when
                                      > > finish
                                      > > > them I'll let everyone know.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > -- Cameron
                                      > > >

                                      > > Cameron,
                                      > >
                                      > > What are you designing?
                                      > >
                                      > > I am working on a line array for one of the guys that was over on
                                      > > Sunday. Using 8 Ascendant Audio 6.5" mids, BG neo 8 planar and
                                      Vifa XT
                                      > > ring radiator for the top end.
                                      > >
                                      > > Big, high effeciency speaker. With the exception of the Dayton
                                      > > monitors and the Vintage NAS loudspeakers all the others from
                                      Sunday
                                      > > are my designs. I enjoy loudspeaker/passive crossover design.

                                    • jimrivers3
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jun 26, 2009
                                        Ken Valliant's second DIY 12 inch tonearm. This one all wood arm. The first was graphite. Beautiful! jim...
                                      • ERIC TUCKER
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jun 29, 2009

                                           My son sent me this link -- Not directly related to the purview of this group but still pretty cool:

                                          http://www.boingboing.net/2009/06/29/chess-set-made-from-1.html

                                          --Eric Tucker

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Jul 2, 2009

                                            good to excellent condition vintage power amplifier (apart from 1 or 2 burnt out light bulbs in the VU meter)

                                            This is one of the VERY few that had a brass face. I unfortunately rubbed the lettering off when I polished the face a few years ago.

                                            Serious buyers , .. mail me for pics.

                                            Thanks

                                            Message 21 of 23 , Jul 27, 2009

                                                          Audio event on the 22nd of August, Saturday  at my house Paul Stewart in Allen TX @ 820 Parkview Circle.

                                              From 2:00PM till ?

                                              Buy, sell, trade, listen, party (BYOB), and ????.

                                              R.S.V.P.

                                              What equipment you will bring, or what equipment you are looking for.

                                              DIYers, support your audio habbit.

                                              Donations for Pizza.

                                              INPUT---INPUT---INPUT---

                                              Windows Live™ Hotmail®: Celebrate the moment with your favorite sports pics. Check it out.
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Jul 27, 2009
                                                Update---ZIP 75002

                                                From: musicman32150@...
                                                To: dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com
                                                Subject: Audio Event
                                                Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 14:10:53 -0500

                                                            Audio event on the 22nd of August, Saturday  at my house Paul Stewart in Allen TX @ 820 Parkview Circle.

                                                From 2:00PM till ?

                                                Buy, sell, trade, listen, party (BYOB), and ????.

                                                R.S.V.P.

                                                What equipment you will bring, or what equipment you are looking for.

                                                DIYers, support your audio habbit.

                                                Donations for Pizza.

                                                INPUT---INPUT---INPUT---

                                                Windows Live™ Hotmail®: Celebrate the moment with your favorite sports pics. Check it out.

                                              • grampa...
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Nov 13, 2010
                                                  On the front page.
                                                  Ken Valliant's latest speaker project.
                                                  Felt surrounds cut in a star pattern.
                                                  Two Parasound Z-Amps both bridged to mono.
                                                  Martin J. King design using Jordan JX92S full range driver and Goldwood 18" woofer.
                                                  Crossover values available on his website.