Re: New Years Audio Resolutions

  • oscar_in_fw
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 16, 2006
      --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "jim@f..." <jim@f...> wrote:

      > I resolve to...1: Finish all promised projects of friends and
      'customers' in the garage.2: Upgrade my much loved linestage with a
      few new parts including new mono volume pots and Chimera Labs wire and
      RCAs where not yet installed3: Continue tweaking the audio system for
      sound quality4:Rebuild the living room system5: Enjoy more music, do
      less work!Ò¿Ò jim...

      Can't work any worse than my "moratorium" (?) on spending any money on
      audio equipment for at least a year. After a couple of months, I'm
      about to break this...something about a "can't miss" deal on a badly
      needed component....
    • Dennis Boyle
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 16, 2006

        Jim,

        I think you have a good shoot at 2, 3 and 4. On 1 you should have added….when I have the time and 5 is not completely in your control.

        How would you like to beta test the 50K or 100K wirewound ten turn pots we use on the Axiom Amps. Everyone who has used them loved them. They have won in listening evaluations over transformer gain controls, stepped attenuators and the ALPS Pots.

        They offer much better gain resolution than 0.5dB and they turn so smoothly, you will find yourself standing there rotating the knob back and forth because it feels so good (no sexual inferences intended). As a beta tester, sworn to provide a written evaluation under pain of death or forced to listen to 40 hours of RAP Music, you can purchase them at a 40% discount and they don’t cost a lot to begin with.

        For us “old” audiophiles, you have to break the habit of turning your gain controls down when you turn the system on and off. That’s a carryover for the vintage days when your power amps were plugged into the switchable outlets in the preamp, some times the resulting pops could scare the hell out of you. You just need to turn your equipment on and off in the right sequence. Just leave the gain control set where you last had it and use it to adjust the volume and balance of your music source. It’s really easy to center your image with this kind of resolution.

        I just had a Hong Kong Amp builder buy out my stock and I have to order more. I have to be nice to him because he is a great source for the 300B tubes I need. They are a stocking item with the manufacturer and I will have them in by the end of the week.

        Best Regards,

        Dennis Boyle

        Chimera Laboratories

        Website: http://www.chimeralabs.com/