RE: [dallasaudioclub] Liite Audio DACs

  • Dennis Boyle
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 17, 2005
      It's a nice little DAC Fred.

      One of the best modifications you could do is get rid of the 6922 tubes,
      simply the worst tube choice to have close to the source of the Music,
      and convert to a linear low distortion tube like a 6CG7 (nine pin 6SN7).
      See Jim's earlier posting on Harmonics and Linear Tubes by Lynn Olson.

      It uses the same tube base 9AJ as the 6922, so you don't have to modify
      the circuit board, just change the plate and cathode resistor values.
      The output impedance will go up, but that shouldn’t be a problem if the
      preamp or amp you are connecting it to has the normal input impedance of
      50k and up.

      Dennis Boyle
      Chimera Laboratories
      Website: http://www.chimeralabs.com/
      Website: http://home.att.net/~chimeraone/index.html

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 17, 2005

          Not really, it’s cheap, easy to drive and has a low output impedance so it will work with long cables and solid state amps. I think Audio Research was the first large US manufacturer to use it in their preamps. Most of the audio market still considers it a “good” tube to use, so using it won’t hurt sales. The poor performance of current production sure has driven the price of vintage ECC88. 6922 and 7308 tubes up. It sounds very solid state and there are still a lot of audio amps using sand filled devices sold. Now that Bill Johnson came out of retirement, I have been told they have gone back to the 12 series tubes.

          Best Regards,