Liite Audio DACs

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 17, 2005
      GR Research is now selling Lite Audio DACs. I will be hosting the next
      Lone Star Bottlehead meeting at my house in Houston on Jan 14th, and I
      have the DAC-60, so anybody who comes to the meeting will be able to
      hear it.

      I realize it's hard to be objective about the audio equipment you own,
      but it's a very good value at the $470 price (includes air freight
      direct from Hong Kong to your house in about nine days). Some features
      are: two R-core transformers, six separate regulated power supplies,
      two 24/96 Burr Brown PCM1704 dac chips running in parallel (one per
      channel), discrete components in the 3rd order low pass filter, dual
      EH-6922 tube output stage.

      http://www.gr-research.com/components/lite_dacs.htm
    • Dennis Boyle
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 17, 2005
        It's a nice little DAC Fred.

        One of the best modifications you could do is get rid of the 6922 tubes,
        simply the worst tube choice to have close to the source of the Music,
        and convert to a linear low distortion tube like a 6CG7 (nine pin 6SN7).
        See Jim's earlier posting on Harmonics and Linear Tubes by Lynn Olson.

        It uses the same tube base 9AJ as the 6922, so you don't have to modify
        the circuit board, just change the plate and cathode resistor values.
        The output impedance will go up, but that shouldn’t be a problem if the
        preamp or amp you are connecting it to has the normal input impedance of
        50k and up.

        Dennis Boyle
        Chimera Laboratories
        Website: http://www.chimeralabs.com/
        Website: http://home.att.net/~chimeraone/index.html

        GR Research is now selling Lite Audio DACs. I will be hosting the next
        Lone Star Bottlehead meeting at my house in Houston on Jan 14th, and I
        have the DAC-60, so anybody who comes to the meeting will be able to
        hear it.

        I realize it's hard to be objective about the audio equipment you own,
        but it's a very good value at the $470 price (includes air freight
        direct from Hong Kong to your house in about nine days). Some features
        are: two R-core transformers, six separate regulated power supplies,
        two 24/96 Burr Brown PCM1704 dac chips running in parallel (one per
        channel), discrete components in the 3rd order low pass filter, dual
        EH-6922 tube output stage.

        http://www.gr-research.com/components/lite_dacs.htm

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Fred Thompson

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 17, 2005

            Not really, it’s cheap, easy to drive and has a low output impedance so it will work with long cables and solid state amps. I think Audio Research was the first large US manufacturer to use it in their preamps. Most of the audio market still considers it a “good” tube to use, so using it won’t hurt sales. The poor performance of current production sure has driven the price of vintage ECC88. 6922 and 7308 tubes up. It sounds very solid state and there are still a lot of audio amps using sand filled devices sold. Now that Bill Johnson came out of retirement, I have been told they have gone back to the 12 series tubes.

            Best Regards,