Re: What Shakespeare said about vinyl and digital.

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 19, 2005
      Well my contempt for Sony, among others, continues to grow. With the
      growning information that instead of copying from the master tapes or
      even the master digital copies, many SACD and even new vinyl
      recordings are being made (copied) from just the CD masters.
      Ò¿Ò jim...
      --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "oscar_in_fw"
      <obautista_1@c...> wrote:

      > Sony SACDs sound pretty fine IMHO. The resolution (almost?) of
      vinyl without the "snap,
      > crackle, pop" and surface noise of vinyl.
      >
      > I've never directly compared the two but from what I've heard from
      others, Vinyl usually
      > wins. I'm skepticle myself.
      >
      > --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, john summit <txslxs@y...>
      wrote:

      > > what's your take on DVDs??????????????????
    • oscar_in_fw
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 19, 2005
        I'll agree most of the major labels are short-changing us with lo-rez digital masters and
        poor recording techniques, including Sony.

        The other smaller independent labels are putting more TLC into their recordings. Telarc,
        Pentatone, Groove Note, MFSL, Analogue Productions, Channel Classics, et al are putting
        out SACDs using the best available masters (analog tape or pure DSD for the modern
        recordings).

        The RCA Living Stereo and Mercury Living Presence SACD releases are coming from
        original 2 or 3 track 1950s/1960s-era master tapes. Some of these R2D4.