What Shakespeare said about vinyl and digital.

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 19, 2005
      What Shakespeare said about vinyl and digital. Poetic license and
      copyright Jim Rivers

      Friends, Texans, music lovers, Lend me your ears;
      I come to raise up vinyl, not bury it.
      The evil that digital does lives after it;
      The good oft interred below the 0's and 1's;
      So let us bury CD. The noble Sony
      Hath told you CD was perfect sound forever:
      If it were so, it was a grievous jitter,
      And grievously hath CD answer'd it.
      Here under leave of vinyl and the rest -
      For vinyl is an honourable sound;
      So is music all, all honourable sounds-
      Come I to speak in CD's funeral.
      He, also, was my friend, not so faithful but just OK to me:
      But Sony says he was perfect;
      And Sony is an honourable company.
      Sony hath brought many CD's home to music rooms
      Whose ransoms did the stockholder's coffers fill:
      Did this in CD seem perfect?
      When our vinyl hath sang, digital hath wept:
      Perfect sound should be made of sterner stuff:
      Yet Sony says CD was perfect;
      And Sony is an honourable company.
      You all did see that on our audio systems
      We often presented new digital formats,
      Which our ears just as often refused: was this perfect sound?
      Yet Sony says it was perfect sound;
      And, sure, Sony is an honourable company.
      I speak not to disprove what Sony spoke,
      But here I am to speak what I do know.
      You all do still love vinyl, not without cause:
      What cause withholds you then, to listen to vinyl more?
      O judgment! thou art fled to brutish formats,
      And men have lost faith in their hearing. Trust your ears with me;
      My heart is on the turntable there with vinyl,
      And I must pause as true sound comes back to me.
      Ò¿Ò jim...
    • john summit
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 19, 2005
        what's your take on DVDs??????????????????

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/bDIolB/TM

        __________________________________
        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • oscar_in_fw
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 19, 2005
          Sony SACDs sound pretty fine IMHO. The resolution (almost?) of vinyl without the "snap,
          crackle, pop" and surface noise of vinyl.

          I've never directly compared the two but from what I've heard from others, Vinyl usually
          wins. I'm skepticle myself.

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 19, 2005
            Well my contempt for Sony, among others, continues to grow. With the
            growning information that instead of copying from the master tapes or
            even the master digital copies, many SACD and even new vinyl
            recordings are being made (copied) from just the CD masters.
            Ò¿Ò jim...
            --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "oscar_in_fw"
            <obautista_1@c...> wrote:

            > Sony SACDs sound pretty fine IMHO. The resolution (almost?) of
            vinyl without the "snap,
            > crackle, pop" and surface noise of vinyl.
            >
            > I've never directly compared the two but from what I've heard from
            others, Vinyl usually
            > wins. I'm skepticle myself.
            >
            > --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, john summit <txslxs@y...>
            wrote:

            > > what's your take on DVDs??????????????????
          • oscar_in_fw
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 19, 2005
              I'll agree most of the major labels are short-changing us with lo-rez digital masters and
              poor recording techniques, including Sony.

              The other smaller independent labels are putting more TLC into their recordings. Telarc,
              Pentatone, Groove Note, MFSL, Analogue Productions, Channel Classics, et al are putting
              out SACDs using the best available masters (analog tape or pure DSD for the modern
              recordings).

              The RCA Living Stereo and Mercury Living Presence SACD releases are coming from
              original 2 or 3 track 1950s/1960s-era master tapes. Some of these R2D4.