Re: Introduction

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 4, 2005
      Hello Oscar,
      Have no fear about the club being based in Dallas. We have members
      in Ft. Worth, Arlington and other 'burbs. We will continue to have
      occasional large meetings but I now realize that large gatherings '
      JUST DON'T WORK' They don't work well for enjoying music and sharing
      new CD's and vinyl anyway. All members are welcome to have meeting in
      their homes. And I encourage those members to report in on the fun
      had, things learned and new, good music found. We have been having
      mini-meetings lately. Just inviting 9 or 10 or less. It's much more
      manageable. I do believe Russ plans a meeting in a week or three.
      That will be held in Mc Kinney. I plan a small gathering in late
      October or November in Richardson. After a meeting or two, you may
      even wish to host a mini-meeting. I'll make sure you get an
      invitation to my next small gathering. jim...

      --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "oscar_in_fw"
      <obautista_1@c...> wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > I'm just checking out your club to see what kinds of things you do.
      > I have what I believe to
      > be a fairly decent stereo system (SOny 777ES/Meitner/Classe/VA
      > Mahlers) which I'll have
      > to admit has been integrated (aka "contaminated") into a fairly
      > decent Home theater
      > system. The only decent vinyl setups and tube setups I've heard
      have
      > been in dealer
      > showrooms. Likewise, with so-called "high-end" CD setups, including
      > DACs.
      >
      > I listen to mostly to jazz and classical and occasional pop/rock.
      > I'm also "spoiled" by
      > multichannel SACD/DVD-A playback which is sometimes preferable to
      > 2-channel stereo
      > despite the differences in caliber of equipment. Now I've the
      notion
      > to convert the "little-
      > used" formal living area into a "pure" 2-channel room (costly
      > equipment acquisitions
      > permitting).
      >
      > I'm real curious to hear other setups to see what I might do to
      > improve my system. The
      > downside seems to be most of y'all are probably based in Dallas
      > whereas I am in Fort
      > Worth which seems (to me) quite short on audiophiles willing to
      > share.
    • Dennis Boyle
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 4, 2005
        My experience with the Dallas Audio Club has been very positive.

        The members have a genuine interest in improving the sound performance
        of their audio systems. The paths they use are quite diverse ranging
        from DIY, Tweaks, and vintage equipment as well as current gear.

        I concur that a dedicated two channel or stereo system will bring you
        closer to the accurate reproduction of the sound of live music.

        The meetings range from a small group of members focusing on listening
        evaluations of Music and equipment; to large 30+ members socializing and
        talking about Audio.

        I suggest you join the Club and participate in a few meetings and see if
        it will be a resource in your quest.

        Best Regards,

        Dennis Boyle
        Chimera Laboratories

[...]