Introduction

  • oscar_in_fw
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 3, 2005
      Hi,

      I'm just checking out your club to see what kinds of things you do.
      I have what I believe to
      be a fairly decent stereo system (SOny 777ES/Meitner/Classe/VA
      Mahlers) which I'll have
      to admit has been integrated (aka "contaminated") into a fairly
      decent Home theater
      system. The only decent vinyl setups and tube setups I've heard have
      been in dealer
      showrooms. Likewise, with so-called "high-end" CD setups, including
      DACs.

      I listen to mostly to jazz and classical and occasional pop/rock.
      I'm also "spoiled" by
      multichannel SACD/DVD-A playback which is sometimes preferable to
      2-channel stereo
      despite the differences in caliber of equipment. Now I've the notion
      to convert the "little-
      used" formal living area into a "pure" 2-channel room (costly
      equipment acquisitions
      permitting).

      I'm real curious to hear other setups to see what I might do to
      improve my system. The
      downside seems to be most of y'all are probably based in Dallas
      whereas I am in Fort
      Worth which seems (to me) quite short on audiophiles willing to
      share.
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 4, 2005
        Hello Oscar,
        Have no fear about the club being based in Dallas. We have members
        in Ft. Worth, Arlington and other 'burbs. We will continue to have
        occasional large meetings but I now realize that large gatherings '
        JUST DON'T WORK' They don't work well for enjoying music and sharing
        new CD's and vinyl anyway. All members are welcome to have meeting in
        their homes. And I encourage those members to report in on the fun
        had, things learned and new, good music found. We have been having
        mini-meetings lately. Just inviting 9 or 10 or less. It's much more
        manageable. I do believe Russ plans a meeting in a week or three.
        That will be held in Mc Kinney. I plan a small gathering in late
        October or November in Richardson. After a meeting or two, you may
        even wish to host a mini-meeting. I'll make sure you get an
        invitation to my next small gathering. jim...

        --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "oscar_in_fw"
        <obautista_1@c...> wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I'm just checking out your club to see what kinds of things you do.
        > I have what I believe to
        > be a fairly decent stereo system (SOny 777ES/Meitner/Classe/VA
        > Mahlers) which I'll have
        > to admit has been integrated (aka "contaminated") into a fairly
        > decent Home theater
        > system. The only decent vinyl setups and tube setups I've heard
        have
        > been in dealer
        > showrooms. Likewise, with so-called "high-end" CD setups, including
        > DACs.
        >
        > I listen to mostly to jazz and classical and occasional pop/rock.
        > I'm also "spoiled" by
        > multichannel SACD/DVD-A playback which is sometimes preferable to
        > 2-channel stereo
        > despite the differences in caliber of equipment. Now I've the
        notion
        > to convert the "little-
        > used" formal living area into a "pure" 2-channel room (costly
        > equipment acquisitions
        > permitting).
        >
        > I'm real curious to hear other setups to see what I might do to
        > improve my system. The
        > downside seems to be most of y'all are probably based in Dallas
        > whereas I am in Fort
        > Worth which seems (to me) quite short on audiophiles willing to
        > share.
      • Dennis Boyle
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 4, 2005
          My experience with the Dallas Audio Club has been very positive.

          The members have a genuine interest in improving the sound performance
          of their audio systems. The paths they use are quite diverse ranging
          from DIY, Tweaks, and vintage equipment as well as current gear.

          I concur that a dedicated two channel or stereo system will bring you
          closer to the accurate reproduction of the sound of live music.

          The meetings range from a small group of members focusing on listening
          evaluations of Music and equipment; to large 30+ members socializing and
          talking about Audio.

          I suggest you join the Club and participate in a few meetings and see if
          it will be a resource in your quest.

          Best Regards,

          Dennis Boyle
          Chimera Laboratories

[...]