Dirt Cheap DAC - $135

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 15, 2005
      Here's one that's hard to believe, but being the sucker that I am
      for a bargain, I ordered one. It's the DAC-AH from diyclub.biz in
      Hong Kong. It has eight parallel TDA1453 dac chips and uses OPA602
      op amps in the audio section. Neither the dac chips nor the op amps
      are state-of-the-art, but using eight in parallel improves the
      resolution and the s/n ratio. I ordered mine as a special purchase
      with eight pin op amp sockets so I can easily upgrade the to the
      OPA627's that are used in several $5K and above players. Total cost
      including the op amp socket upgrade and air shipping to Houston was
      $176. You can find the DAC-AH in the DAC section at this link:

      http://eshop.diyclub.biz/

      I also found a review where someone upgraded the DAC-AH op amps and
      coupling caps:

      http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=93233&page=1&pp=20