FredArrray Details

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 9, 2005
      The FredArrays use ten 5.25" Silver Flute woofers and one MCM
      tweeter per side in a ported 4 cu ft enclosure. The woofer crossover
      is 2nd order, the tweeter is 3rd order at about 3khz. Total parts
      cost for the pair is about $350 (incuuding $250 for the drivers,
      another $100 for xover parts, speaker terminals, wire, etc).
      Sensitivity is about 95dB, impedance is 9 ohms nominal with a 5 ohm
      minimum. They can be driven by the 3.5 watt Paramours, but to my
      ears that combination is about as exciting as a really good quality
      four ounce bottle of beer. An 8 watt 300B will power them to room
      filling levels, and my 20 watts EL34 triode PP amp seems to be the
      best match.

      The enclosure is 10" wide, 14" deep, and 71" tall. Two 4" ports are
      rear firing. The enclosure is tuned to 51hz, and the in-room
      response is strong into the low 40's. Needless to say, a pair of 6'
      enclosures with ten routed and recessed woofer holes, tweeter hole,
      ports, and good internal bracing is not a weekend project, but it's
      not hard to build with a table saw, a plunge router, and lots of
      clamps.

      Everyone has to be their own judge of how good a speaker sounds, and
      to the builder they always sound as good as a new mom's baby is
      smart and beautiful in here eyes, so take this with a grain of salt:
      they sound amazingly good for the investment I have in them. I took
      them to the last Lone Star Bott meeting and comments were favorable.
      I'll bring them the next time you guys have a Saturday meeting so
      you can hear them yoursleves, and I'll share the detailed plans with
      anyone who wants to build a pair for themselves.

      I'm not interested in going into the speaker building business as a
      commercial venture, but if anyone who doesnt have the tools to build
      their own enclosures falls in love with them, I could build and
      assemble a pair of enclosures for you (assembled/unfinished, with
      all the routed and recessed holes, etc) for $400.

      --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "budandfun" <Bear-hifi@c...>
      wrote:

      > Hello Fred, nice looking DAC and I know Jim is digging that wood
      > front panel!
      >
      > So how much was the costs to build the arrays and will you share
      the
      > technical info? I bet those 3.5 watts sound so sweet with the
      > arrays!!!
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > Frank
    • budandfun
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 14, 2005
        Thanks for the info Fred and do you like these arrays better then
        the Linus?

        Thanks

        --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "Fred" <fredaudio@h...>

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 14, 2005
          I definitely prefer the FredArray bass, which is flat to about 40hz.
          The Linus is a sealed array with an F3 of about 75hz and it requires
          a subwoofer. Also the midrange of the FredArray's Silver Flute
          woofers is a bit cleaner than the Linus' Vifa woofers. But the
          Linus' treble is better in two regards - the planar tweeters offer a
          bit more resolution than the titanium dome MCM, and there are 8
          tweeters per side making the Linus a true line array (sounds about
          the same sitting or standing). Given the difference between $350 in
          parts for the FredArray and about $1K for the Linus, I believe the
          FredArray offers more value for the dollar. The FredArray is an
          especially viable option for anyone wanting to build a good sounding
          high efficiency diy speaker for under $400. And can you imagine a
          speaker with a kewler sounding name than "The FredArray"?

          P.S. I'm plannig to take them to the Great Plains Audio Fest along
          with the DK Design Group hybrid amp and the Scott Nixon tube DAC.

          wrote:

          > Thanks for the info Fred and do you like these arrays better then
          > the Linus?
          >
          > Thanks

        • budandfun
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 30, 2005
            Hey Fred, what would you charge for the front baffle only? Whith
            holes already cut out and so on?

            thanks
            Frank