Re: SN Tube Dac

  • budandfun
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 8 7:02 PM
      Hello Fred, nice looking DAC and I know Jim is digging that wood
      front panel!

      So how much was the costs to build the arrays and will you share the
      technical info? I bet those 3.5 watts sound so sweet with the
      arrays!!!

      Thanks

      Frank

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 9 5:54 AM
        The FredArrays use ten 5.25" Silver Flute woofers and one MCM
        tweeter per side in a ported 4 cu ft enclosure. The woofer crossover
        is 2nd order, the tweeter is 3rd order at about 3khz. Total parts
        cost for the pair is about $350 (incuuding $250 for the drivers,
        another $100 for xover parts, speaker terminals, wire, etc).
        Sensitivity is about 95dB, impedance is 9 ohms nominal with a 5 ohm
        minimum. They can be driven by the 3.5 watt Paramours, but to my
        ears that combination is about as exciting as a really good quality
        four ounce bottle of beer. An 8 watt 300B will power them to room
        filling levels, and my 20 watts EL34 triode PP amp seems to be the
        best match.

        The enclosure is 10" wide, 14" deep, and 71" tall. Two 4" ports are
        rear firing. The enclosure is tuned to 51hz, and the in-room
        response is strong into the low 40's. Needless to say, a pair of 6'
        enclosures with ten routed and recessed woofer holes, tweeter hole,
        ports, and good internal bracing is not a weekend project, but it's
        not hard to build with a table saw, a plunge router, and lots of
        clamps.

        Everyone has to be their own judge of how good a speaker sounds, and
        to the builder they always sound as good as a new mom's baby is
        smart and beautiful in here eyes, so take this with a grain of salt:
        they sound amazingly good for the investment I have in them. I took
        them to the last Lone Star Bott meeting and comments were favorable.
        I'll bring them the next time you guys have a Saturday meeting so
        you can hear them yoursleves, and I'll share the detailed plans with
        anyone who wants to build a pair for themselves.

        I'm not interested in going into the speaker building business as a
        commercial venture, but if anyone who doesnt have the tools to build
        their own enclosures falls in love with them, I could build and
        assemble a pair of enclosures for you (assembled/unfinished, with
        all the routed and recessed holes, etc) for $400.

        --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "budandfun" <Bear-hifi@c...>
        wrote:

        > Hello Fred, nice looking DAC and I know Jim is digging that wood
        > front panel!
        >
        > So how much was the costs to build the arrays and will you share
        the
        > technical info? I bet those 3.5 watts sound so sweet with the
        > arrays!!!
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Frank
      • budandfun
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 14 8:26 AM
          Thanks for the info Fred and do you like these arrays better then
          the Linus?

          Thanks

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 14 9:01 AM
            I definitely prefer the FredArray bass, which is flat to about 40hz.
            The Linus is a sealed array with an F3 of about 75hz and it requires
            a subwoofer. Also the midrange of the FredArray's Silver Flute
            woofers is a bit cleaner than the Linus' Vifa woofers. But the
            Linus' treble is better in two regards - the planar tweeters offer a
            bit more resolution than the titanium dome MCM, and there are 8
            tweeters per side making the Linus a true line array (sounds about
            the same sitting or standing). Given the difference between $350 in
            parts for the FredArray and about $1K for the Linus, I believe the
            FredArray offers more value for the dollar. The FredArray is an
            especially viable option for anyone wanting to build a good sounding
            high efficiency diy speaker for under $400. And can you imagine a
            speaker with a kewler sounding name than "The FredArray"?

            P.S. I'm plannig to take them to the Great Plains Audio Fest along
            with the DK Design Group hybrid amp and the Scott Nixon tube DAC.

            wrote:

            > Thanks for the info Fred and do you like these arrays better then
            > the Linus?
            >
            > Thanks

          • budandfun
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 30 4:32 PM
              Hey Fred, what would you charge for the front baffle only? Whith
              holes already cut out and so on?

              thanks
              Frank