SN Tube Dac

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 19, 2005
      I agree with Jim about the SN dacs. Mine is a stock tube dac except
      for the fact that I bypassed the coupling caps with 1uF Northcreek
      Harmony caps. I'm using an old Marantz CD67Se as the transport and
      haven't heard anything under $1K that I would consider as a
      replacement. Mine is in a Hammond chassis with an oak front plate
      from Hobby Lobby. Photo at
      http://fredt300b.smugmug.com/gallery/132868/1/4835923

      On another topic, I have completed the FredArrays and they sound
      spectacular - much much much better than I ever expected. I finally
      settled on an MCM tweeter, the one that's used in the Bottlehead
      Straight 8, but with a completely different crossover that seems to
      mitigate the problems that driver has in the Bottlehead product. If
      you guys ever have another Saturday meeting I'll bring them over.
      See them at http://fredt300b.smugmug.com/gallery/188793

      I'm also making good progress on the XTended 8 Line Arrays, photos
      at http://fredt300b.smugmug.com/gallery/362400

      So many speakers, so little time!
    • budandfun
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 8, 2005
        Hello Fred, nice looking DAC and I know Jim is digging that wood
        front panel!

        So how much was the costs to build the arrays and will you share the
        technical info? I bet those 3.5 watts sound so sweet with the
        arrays!!!

        Thanks

        Frank

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 9, 2005
          The FredArrays use ten 5.25" Silver Flute woofers and one MCM
          tweeter per side in a ported 4 cu ft enclosure. The woofer crossover
          is 2nd order, the tweeter is 3rd order at about 3khz. Total parts
          cost for the pair is about $350 (incuuding $250 for the drivers,
          another $100 for xover parts, speaker terminals, wire, etc).
          Sensitivity is about 95dB, impedance is 9 ohms nominal with a 5 ohm
          minimum. They can be driven by the 3.5 watt Paramours, but to my
          ears that combination is about as exciting as a really good quality
          four ounce bottle of beer. An 8 watt 300B will power them to room
          filling levels, and my 20 watts EL34 triode PP amp seems to be the
          best match.

          The enclosure is 10" wide, 14" deep, and 71" tall. Two 4" ports are
          rear firing. The enclosure is tuned to 51hz, and the in-room
          response is strong into the low 40's. Needless to say, a pair of 6'
          enclosures with ten routed and recessed woofer holes, tweeter hole,
          ports, and good internal bracing is not a weekend project, but it's
          not hard to build with a table saw, a plunge router, and lots of
          clamps.

          Everyone has to be their own judge of how good a speaker sounds, and
          to the builder they always sound as good as a new mom's baby is
          smart and beautiful in here eyes, so take this with a grain of salt:
          they sound amazingly good for the investment I have in them. I took
          them to the last Lone Star Bott meeting and comments were favorable.
          I'll bring them the next time you guys have a Saturday meeting so
          you can hear them yoursleves, and I'll share the detailed plans with
          anyone who wants to build a pair for themselves.

          I'm not interested in going into the speaker building business as a
          commercial venture, but if anyone who doesnt have the tools to build
          their own enclosures falls in love with them, I could build and
          assemble a pair of enclosures for you (assembled/unfinished, with
          all the routed and recessed holes, etc) for $400.

          --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "budandfun" <Bear-hifi@c...>
          wrote:

          > Hello Fred, nice looking DAC and I know Jim is digging that wood
          > front panel!
          >
          > So how much was the costs to build the arrays and will you share
          the
          > technical info? I bet those 3.5 watts sound so sweet with the
          > arrays!!!
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Frank
        • budandfun
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 14, 2005
            Thanks for the info Fred and do you like these arrays better then
            the Linus?

            Thanks

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 14, 2005
              I definitely prefer the FredArray bass, which is flat to about 40hz.
              The Linus is a sealed array with an F3 of about 75hz and it requires
              a subwoofer. Also the midrange of the FredArray's Silver Flute
              woofers is a bit cleaner than the Linus' Vifa woofers. But the
              Linus' treble is better in two regards - the planar tweeters offer a
              bit more resolution than the titanium dome MCM, and there are 8
              tweeters per side making the Linus a true line array (sounds about
              the same sitting or standing). Given the difference between $350 in
              parts for the FredArray and about $1K for the Linus, I believe the
              FredArray offers more value for the dollar. The FredArray is an
              especially viable option for anyone wanting to build a good sounding
              high efficiency diy speaker for under $400. And can you imagine a
              speaker with a kewler sounding name than "The FredArray"?

              P.S. I'm plannig to take them to the Great Plains Audio Fest along
              with the DK Design Group hybrid amp and the Scott Nixon tube DAC.

              wrote:

              > Thanks for the info Fred and do you like these arrays better then
              > the Linus?
              >
              > Thanks

            • budandfun
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 30, 2005
                Hey Fred, what would you charge for the front baffle only? Whith
                holes already cut out and so on?

                thanks
                Frank