Re: [dallasaudioclub] Aikido preamp

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 6, 2013
      Hi Blair,
      Gearing up for dog. Do u have info on these Genalec (sp?) 10" *drivers? Send an e mail!
      Paul
      PS
      I have the Akido pre amp, sitting around collecting dust right now. You listened to it, many combinations, nice documentation , excellent board

      Sent from my Sprint phone.

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 8, 2013
          Yep, in Florida. Small apartment. Walking better.

          Sent from my Sprint phone.

          It's a fine sounding preamp from what I've heard. Most of them using. 6DJ8/6922 varieties.

          Several locals have built them. With all the tube combinations you can use, it's hard to say something as general as "is this a good preamp?" Because people use various tubes in each position.

          Blair

          On Jun 3, 2013, at 11:58 AM, "Robert Cham" <cham@...> wrote:

          Hi Mike,

          I've got a mostly built one that won't be finished anytime soon as
          I'm 2,000 miles away building our retirement house.

          I gutted a PAS 3 and installed two 9 pin mono boards and a PS 1
          board for separate regulation of each channel's power, after some
          metal work and clear plastic "Contact Paper" on the bottom plate as
          the spacing is a bit tight to the board traces. Separate regulation
          of channels has yielded improvement in crosstalk in SS preamps, so I
          thought that I'd try it in a hollow state one.

          Still to be done is the wiring of the selector switch and Alps volume
          control with Mogami snake cable stripped out of it's overall jacket,
          and the transformer chassis, which will connect to the PAS 3 through
          the already installed Cinch Jones connector. I'm making my own
          multi-conductor cable for the power interconnect by using heat
          shrink tubing over cable of various gauges, depending one whether
          it's for Plate or Filament power.

          I'm going to try using 6H30s for their low output impedance, as I
          want to try using Nelson Pass's passive low level crossover from an
          old Audio Amateur, which requires the ability to drive 5K loads.
          John Broskie doesn't like the sound of that tube, but we'll see what
          I think. The crossover will drive a pair of ST-70s, which will
          bi-amp the Maggie Tympani 1Cs. The phono preamp will continue to be
          the Transcendent Sound kit built unit, easily the most accurate and
          impressive sound stage presentation that I have ever heard.

          So, I still haven't heard an Aikido either, but I also have heard
          much good about them, and as an engineer, I really admire Broskie's
          work. The engineering on them is really solid.

          Bob Cham
          (presently in Virginia)

          >I just recently joined the group and I wanted to pose a question to
          >the group. I am thinking about building the Aikido preamp. I have
          >heard good things about this preamp. Has anyone in the group heard
          >the Aikido? I would love to hear your impressions.
          >
          >Thanks all.
          >
          >Mike

        • Mike Callan Home
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 10, 2013
            Thank you one and all for the feedback.  I think for a first kit build, it sounds like the Aikido pre is a safe bet.  So unless anyone wants to sell their built up Aikido, I will try it this summer.

            Thanks again.

            Mike