Re: [dallasaudioclub] may have blown a DA178 7" woofer.

  • Ka
    Message 1 of 57 , Feb 17, 2011
      Did you check the wires coming out of the voice coil, any chance of it touching the cone or spider?
      Also rotate the driver 180 degree and see what happens.

      On Feb 17, 2011, at 8:38 PM, skrogh wrote:

      When it plays low it generated a mechanical sound like a pencil laying across piano strings and is pretty loud. The surround is in good shape, as well as the spider. When I physically move the cone back and forth, there is no resistance or scratching, so the gap is clear of any debris. Any ideas? Is that what a blown speaker sounds like?

    • skrogh
      Message 57 of 57 , Jul 28, 2011

        I posted some picks at PE of my latest build. not really a build, per se, but used some cabinets from some old north American Sound mini-Monitors that I slapped on a coat of rustoleum and screwed in the drivers. I still have my old NAS monitors that are below the garage speakers. Dave Thomas designed the XO and I just assemble them.  It's amazing what you can learn on You Tube!