RE: [dallasaudioclub] Re: need turntabe

    Message 1 of 57 , Dec 12, 2010
      Blair, build which system?

      To: dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com
      From: dave.thomas@...
      Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 17:51:44 -0500
      Subject: Re: [dallasaudioclub] Re: need turntabe

      Absolutely in good fun.

        From: Chris Noble [chrisnobleplano@...]
        Sent: 12/12/2010 04:27 PM CST
        To: dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com

      Easy...

      All in good fun!:)  I actually use an old Dell laptop with a 1TB freestanding drive to store the vast majority of my music.  That goes to a Hagerman USB to S/PDIF converter feeding a Benchmark DAC1.

      I live in both camps...

      Christopher H. Noble
      214-558-6947

      On Dec 12, 2010, at 10:55 AM, Blair wrote:

      Or the web pages said user is visiting...

      Blair

      On Dec 12, 2010, at 10:43 AM, "Dave Thomas" <dave.thomas@...> wrote:

      Back to ya :)

      <21896455.gif><21340607.gif>

      This could be fun... I dunno but at Dallas Sound Labs all their digital recording consoles are PC based. Also I never have any issues with viruses or lock-ups maybe it is the user not the operating system. :)

      <graycol.gif>Chris Noble <chrisnobleplano@...>

      <ecblank.gif>
      <ecblank.gif>
      dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com
      <ecblank.gif>
      cc
      <ecblank.gif>
      <ecblank.gif>
      Subject
      <ecblank.gif>
      Re: [dallasaudioclub] Re: need turntabe
      <ecblank.gif><ecblank.gif>

      Take that!!!

      <21327075.jpg>
      Christopher H. Noble
      214-558-6947
      chrisnobleplano@...

      On Dec 12, 2010, at 9:28 AM, Blair wrote:

          Well, someone build one of these. I'd love to hear it compared to my cheap music server. The M-audio is the keystone to that build. I'm going to buy a decent USB DAC for mine, but it sounds great to me especially for under $300 including the monitor:)

          Blair

          On Dec 12, 2010, at 9:10 AM, "Dave Thomas" <dave.thomas@...> wrote:

              Paul, you can use this product to control Foobar on your PC remotely. It will control about any media player software out there but it already is set up to control Foobar and a lot of other media player software packages.

              http://www.snapstream.com/products/firefly/

              All you need is a media PC with a high quality sound card to drive your amp, connect it to your TV via the VGA connector if you are doing it for music only or HDMI if you want to have Video media on your PC. This way you can see what media is playing on your TV and have full remote control of your music library. I have started building a media PC so far I have the PC and an MAudio USB soundcard. My intention is to only build an audio media PC. But I have played with foobar, winamp and Windows media player. All seem to work great but I think I am going with Foobar just because it seems to support the most formats and has excellent support so it should be maintained up to date. As far as audio quality the MAudio sound card is excellent with uber-low distortion and linear response way beyond any loudspeaker you could ever build.

              I was thinking I could work this project in during Jan/Feb when it gets too cold to work in the garage. In the meantime I have a 69 Ghia that has to get ready to paint and a pair of line arrays I have to get built. Hopefully in 2011 I will switch all my music over to the media center and use it for my listening. Nice thing is the MAudio device pretty much eliminates the need for a preamp, it uses high quality DAC and opamps on the output and has super low output impedance of around 80 ohms.

              Oh.... "I am a PC"

              <graycol.gif>my89_928gt <my89_928gt@...>

      <ecblank.gif>
      <ecblank.gif>
      <
      dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com>
      <ecblank.gif>
      cc
      <ecblank.gif>
      <ecblank.gif>
      Subject
      <ecblank.gif>
      RE: [dallasaudioclub] Re: need turntabe
      <ecblank.gif><ecblank.gif>
              Chris, my appolafes; just realized that my post are going to you and not the forum. Happens on my phone.

              Richard

              Sent from my HTC Touch Pro2 on the Now Network from Sprint®.

      Message 57 of 57 , Jul 28, 2011

        I posted some picks at PE of my latest build. not really a build, per se, but used some cabinets from some old north American Sound mini-Monitors that I slapped on a coat of rustoleum and screwed in the drivers. I still have my old NAS monitors that are below the garage speakers. Dave Thomas designed the XO and I just assemble them.  It's amazing what you can learn on You Tube!