Re: need turntabe

  • grampa...
    Message 1 of 57 , Dec 5, 2010
      Good Morning Paul,
           The following is "just my opinion" There are as many opinions on types of turntables as sports cars, ball teams, etc. Who's right? Your final decision is. A quick memory check reveals I've owned dozens of tables since my family's first stereo table somewhere around the mid '60's. Including three Oracles, a Micro Seikii, Ariston, Rega's
      , Empire, FONS, Linn, several Denon's, Luxman, Technics and much lesser Japanese offerings, etc, etc. Many of these companies made belt, direct drive and quartz lock DD. For me, belt drives are a bit more problematic. Especially the low torque Oracles and other such types. Beautiful to look at. But a PITA. As are any suspension types. Again, JMO. As are the older non-quartz lock direct drives. You may have a tough time getting them speed stable. Eventually, I've ended up with two Technics SP-15's. Both with Rega RB-300's installed. And new plinths built by Ken Vallaint. We have several members who can do plinths, just like all our speaker builders. I also have a JVC-QL-50 with a Rega-RB-300 arm installed. A JVC-QL-5 waiting for work and a Rega P3 body with an extra Valliant plinth. No arm. The arm is on one of my Technics. Old tables, newer arms. That's what works for me. And, at my age, I have a lifetime supply of the famous Shure V15 cartridges to use with them. As far as trades, I'm, hopefully, set for life with the amazing Paradigm mini-MK3's with reworked crossovers. So don't need any speakers. Hope one more opinion helped! jim...

      --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, Paul Stewart <musicman32150@...> wrote:

      > Interesting discussion, but I still don't know what to get. There is a Harmon Kardon T35 available with an old Grado GF3 cartridge. Is that a good turntable ?
      >
      > To: dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com
      > From: jimrivers3@...
      > Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2010 11:38:44 +0000
      > Subject: [dallasaudioclub] Re: need turntabe

      > After almost 50 years of collecting vinyl, CD's and now all that free streaming music, I'm just happy I have the room in my audio systems for turntables and digital Ah... it's all good... jim...

    • skrogh
      Message 57 of 57 , Jul 28, 2011

        I posted some picks at PE of my latest build. not really a build, per se, but used some cabinets from some old north American Sound mini-Monitors that I slapped on a coat of rustoleum and screwed in the drivers. I still have my old NAS monitors that are below the garage speakers. Dave Thomas designed the XO and I just assemble them.  It's amazing what you can learn on You Tube!