RE: [dallasaudioclub] need turntabe

    Message 1 of 57 , Dec 3, 2010
      Resending this.

      From: musicman32150@...
      To: dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [dallasaudioclub] need turntabe
      Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 23:10:11 -0600

      The Rabco arm looks like a good audio tweak. What are the pros and cons ? There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of tangential turntables out there.

      The Oracles look nice for the money and there is a few used ones out there with some nice upgrades. I think I will start small at this point until I get more involved. I will need to look at building a good phono preamp

      The belt drive is a good idea.

      I may go with a DVD audio also. The music is getting so degraded. Even CDs, I don't think a master recording will fit on a CD, and now WAV, WMA, MP (gag me) 3.

      Who has both worlds of good digital (ever changing) formats and high grade analog, ie master recordings that has done an A/B switching party???? I see another DIY devoted to music media.

      Paul

      P.S.
      This may also include reel-to-reel players.

      To: dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com
      From: cham@...
      Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 11:27:12 -0600

      Just my preferences, take them for what they're worth.

      I've had good luck with used Oracles.  My main system is currently a smaller Oracle with a SME type III and a Fidelity Research FR3?.  I'm using a FR step up transformer and a Transcendent Sound www.transcendentsound.com phono preamp with it.  It's the best phono preamp that I have heard over 50 some years of listening.

      I really like belt drive tables.  Properly done they are free of rumble, which direct drive are not.  I know most folks don't believe this, but they are ignoring subsonic rumble that can play havoc with electronics if they are direct coupled.

      I'm also about to move my Rabco SL8E straight line arm from my old belt drive Rek O Cut to my my larger Oracle, if I can figure out a way to mount it.  If you want a project, I've got an old Rabco ST 4 turntable with integrated straight line tonearm that I'd be willing to part with.  That's the way records are cut, they deserve to be played the same way.

      So, I vote for belt drive, MC, and straight line arm.  Also remember that you get a lot more turntable if you buy used.

      Bob Cham
      soon to be retired public radio engineer

      Need turntable. Lost mine to one of the boys. I was listening to it at his apartment playing a 180gram recording of the Black Keys.  NEED TO REPLACE IT!

      What to get and where? The Rega looks good price wise. I think the weight of the stylus on the vinyl and wow and flutter , in that order, are the two most important. There is belt drive, MM or MC one you can change the stylus the other you can't. Thorens, Dual, Technics, what model, etc.

      I can make an exotic plinth. I could trade one of my custom speakers for a good set up also.

      Paul
      U.S. Navy Retired

      --

    • skrogh
      Message 57 of 57 , Jul 28, 2011

        I posted some picks at PE of my latest build. not really a build, per se, but used some cabinets from some old north American Sound mini-Monitors that I slapped on a coat of rustoleum and screwed in the drivers. I still have my old NAS monitors that are below the garage speakers. Dave Thomas designed the XO and I just assemble them.  It's amazing what you can learn on You Tube!