RE: [dallasaudioclub] Finished center and surrounds PICs

    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 15, 2010
      Dave,
      I have the Usher/Seas HT system you designed. Towers would sound excellent and you could crank them.

      To: dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com
      CC: dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com
      From: dave.thomas@...
      Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 18:17:45 -0600
      Subject: Re: [dallasaudioclub] Finished center and surrounds PICs

      Welcome to the world of speaker building. I have been designing loudspeakers for almost 30 years. I came out of college and went to work in R&D at Marantz back in the early 80s. Today I am in the electric power industry but still design a few dozen loudspeakers a year. A lot of the guys that are on this email use loudspeakers I have designed. I would be glad to help you I have a pretty extensive database of measurements.

      Based on your mid and tweeter selection I would go with a pair of woofers to get overall efficiency up. A lot of guys like the sound of the Dayton RS225-8 aluminum woofers. Crossing them at 250 to 300Hz to a midrange would allow you to reach down to 30Hz with authority and would allow your mid to be used with very little strain. Also probably the best woofers out there are the 8" and 10" Usher if you want to go paper. But either the Dayton Reference Series or the Usher would be a great choice for low distortion and good price/value.

      Let me know if you need help with crossover design, I have an excellent CAD program and measurement set up. We usually get together every 4-6 weeks to listen to different amp and speaker designs guys are working on. You can email me direct at if you want a little assistance.

      dave.thomas at ametek.com

      Inactive hide details for Britton Yoder <britton.yoder@...>Britton Yoder <britton.yoder@ yahoo.com>

              Britton Yoder <britton.yoder@ yahoo.com>
              Sent by: dallasaudioclub@ yahoogroups. com

              02/14/2010 02:18 PM

              Please respond to
              dallasaudioclub@ yahoogroups. com

      dallasaudioclub@ yahoogroups. com

      cc

      Subject

      Re: [dallasaudioclub] Finished center and surrounds PICs
      This is my first foray into making speakers, but I work in the industry and I feel like this is the next step in my quest for knowledge. A friend of mine is a professional carpenter and has a large shop where the work will be completed. I have picked the tweeter and 7" mid, but I am honestly so unsure of what to do for the rest. Have considered arrangement similar to Zaph ZRT 2.5 way, but would prefer to build a true 3-way. Not sure what to use for bass reproduction. The idea I have been toying with would be 2-way sealed in top of cabinet and ported 8-10" side-firing woofer. I am going to build a Hypex amp to run these things so I should have enough power on tap to run a larger woofer. The shape and design of the cabinet will look like this.....

      http://www.bornrich .org/entry/ boenicke- audios-w20se- speakers- in-solid- wood-for- 40000/

      From everything I have been reading the scan speak tweeters have excellent dispersion so being 5-8 degrees below vertical axis I hope will not be a problem.

      Given that woodwork deficiencies are not a concern am I crazy for trying to tackle this my first time? I own Monitor Audio GS60's, Martin Logan Montages, and Vienna Acoustic Haydn Grands.... Looking to best all of these and get another hobby!

      Best Regards,

      Britton Yoder

              From: Paul Stewart <musicman32150@ hotmail.com>
              Subject: [dallasaudioclub] Finished center and surrounds PICs [3 Attachments]
              To: "Dave Thomas" <dave.thomas@ ametek.com>, "Bill W (Sarge) Brown" <bill.w.brown@ verizonbusiness. com>, "Danny Thia" <danny.thai@7- 11.com>, "DAC" <dallasaudioclub@ yahoogroups. com>, "Chris Paulson" <akhilble@hotmail. com>, "texcurrier@hotmail. com" <texcurrier@hotmail. com>, "ryckebusch@gmail. com" <ryckebusch@gmail. com>, lee_roitberg@ hotmail.com, hileman65@yahoo. com
              Cc: "Bill Brown" <bill.brown@grandeco m.net>, "Blair Chapman" <blair_4@msn. com>, brobinson@swcarpets .com, "Mark Childs" <mdchilds@bellhelico pter.textron. com>, skillet2003@ hotmail.com, "Jim" <jimrivers3@yahoo. com>
              Date: Friday, February 12, 2010, 4:42 PM

              Center and surrounds, forward if I forgot someone.