Finished center and surrounds PICs

    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 12, 2010

    Center and surrounds, forward if I forgot someone.

  • Britton Yoder
    Message 2 of 10 , Feb 13, 2010
      How do they sound?  What drivers did you use?  I am going to start on a new pair of towers next week and I am planning on a scan speak revelator tweeter, mid-woofer and woofer.

      Message 3 of 10 , Feb 14, 2010

        He used the Tangband W5 midwoofer, very low distortion driver and Dayton ND16 1/2" tweeter. The small tweeter allows him very close spacing to prevent combing interference between the tweeters.

        What kind of crossover topology are you using with the scanspeak driver? I would assume it is a 3 way.

        Dave

        Inactive hide details for Britton Yoder <britton.yoder@...>Britton Yoder <britton.yoder@...>

                Britton Yoder <britton.yoder@...>
                Sent by: dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com

                02/13/2010 08:24 PM

                Please respond to
                dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com

        dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com

        cc

        Subject

        Re: [dallasaudioclub] Finished center and surrounds PICs

        Message 4 of 10 , Feb 14, 2010
          This is my first foray into making speakers, but I work in the industry and I feel like this is the next step in my quest for knowledge.  A friend of mine is a professional carpenter and has a large shop where the work will be completed.  I have picked the tweeter and 7" mid, but I am honestly so unsure of what to do for the rest.  Have considered arrangement similar to Zaph ZRT 2.5 way, but would prefer to build a true 3-way.   Not sure what to use for bass reproduction.  The idea I have been toying with would be 2-way sealed in top of cabinet and ported 8-10" side-firing woofer.  I am going to build a Hypex amp to run these things so I should have enough power on tap to run a larger woofer.  The shape and design of the cabinet will look like this.....

          http://www.bornrich.org/entry/boenicke-audios-w20se-speakers-in-solid-wood-for-40000/

          From everything I have been reading the scan speak tweeters have excellent dispersion so being 5-8 degrees below vertical axis I hope will not be a problem.

          Given that woodwork deficiencies are not a concern am I crazy for trying to tackle this my first time?  I own Monitor Audio GS60's, Martin Logan Montages, and Vienna Acoustic Haydn Grands....   Looking to best all of these and get another hobby!

          Best Regards,

          Britton Yoder

          Inactive hide details for Britton Yoder <britton.yoder@...>Britton Yoder <britton.yoder@ yahoo.com>

          Message 5 of 10 , Feb 14, 2010

            Welcome to the world of speaker building. I have been designing loudspeakers for almost 30 years. I came out of college and went to work in R&D at Marantz back in the early 80s. Today I am in the electric power industry but still design a few dozen loudspeakers a year. A lot of the guys that are on this email use loudspeakers I have designed. I would be glad to help you I have a pretty extensive database of measurements.

            Based on your mid and tweeter selection I would go with a pair of woofers to get overall efficiency up. A lot of guys like the sound of the Dayton RS225-8 aluminum woofers. Crossing them at 250 to 300Hz to a midrange would allow you to reach down to 30Hz with authority and would allow your mid to be used with very little strain. Also probably the best woofers out there are the 8" and 10" Usher if you want to go paper. But either the Dayton Reference Series or the Usher would be a great choice for low distortion and good price/value.

            Let me know if you need help with crossover design, I have an excellent CAD program and measurement set up. We usually get together every 4-6 weeks to listen to different amp and speaker designs guys are working on. You can email me direct at if you want a little assistance.

            dave.thomas at ametek.com

            Inactive hide details for Britton Yoder <britton.yoder@...>Britton Yoder <britton.yoder@...>

                    Britton Yoder <britton.yoder@...>
                    Sent by: dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com

                    02/14/2010 02:18 PM

                    Please respond to
[...]

            From everything I have been reading the scan speak tweeters have excellent dispersion so being 5-8 degrees below vertical axis I hope will not be a problem.

            Given that woodwork deficiencies are not a concern am I crazy for trying to tackle this my first time? I own Monitor Audio GS60's, Martin Logan Montages, and Vienna Acoustic Haydn Grands.... Looking to best all of these and get another hobby!

            Best Regards,

            Britton Yoder

                    Center and surrounds, forward if I forgot someone.

          • Blair
            Message 6 of 10 , Feb 14, 2010
              There are a handfull of us in DWF with Dave's designs. He is a class A speaker designer. A guy with a pair of $5,000 Martin Logand recently tried to buy my speakers from me despite their lack of finish. They use a pair of Dayton rs-225s a pair of usher 8848Ps, and a pair of Peerless HDS tweeters. I'd put them against anything I've heard in the $8,000 range. He will even offer to come over and drink beer at your house after you build his design. That's the kind of guy he is!!

              Blair

              dave.thomas at ametek.com

              <graycol.gif>Britton Yoder <britton.yoder@yahoo.com>

                      Britton Yoder <britton.yoder@yahoo.com>
                      Sent by: dallasaudioclub@ yahoogroups. com

                      02/14/2010 02:18 PM

                      Please respond to
                      dallasaudioclub@ yahoogroups. com
              <ecblank.gif>
              <ecblank.gif>
              dallasaudioclub@ yahoogroups. com
              <ecblank.gif>
              cc
              <ecblank.gif>
              <ecblank.gif>
              Subject
              <ecblank.gif>
              Re: [dallasaudioclub] Finished center and surrounds PICs
              <ecblank.gif><ecblank.gif>
              This is my first foray into making speakers, but I work in the industry and I feel like this is the next step in my quest for knowledge. A friend of mine is a professional carpenter and has a large shop where the work will be completed. I have picked the tweeter and 7" mid, but I am honestly so unsure of what to do for the rest. Have considered arrangement similar to Zaph ZRT 2.5 way, but would prefer to build a true 3-way. Not sure what to use for bass reproduction. The idea I have been toying with would be 2-way sealed in top of cabinet and ported 8-10" side-firing woofer. I am going to build a Hypex amp to run these things so I should have enough power on tap to run a larger woofer. The shape and design of the cabinet will look like this.....

              http://www.bornrich .org/entry/ boenicke- audios-w20se- speakers- in-solid- wood-for- 40000/

              From everything I have been reading the scan speak tweeters have excellent dispersion so being 5-8 degrees below vertical axis I hope will not be a problem.

              Given that woodwork deficiencies are not a concern am I crazy for trying to tackle this my first time? I own Monitor Audio GS60's, Martin Logan Montages, and Vienna Acoustic Haydn Grands.... Looking to best all of these and get another hobby!

              Best Regards,

              Britton Yoder

                      Center and surrounds, forward if I forgot someone.

            • Dave Thomas
              Message 7 of 10 , Feb 14, 2010

                Did you just say I would design speakers for a couple of beers. I just want to clear it up that I will.

                Inactive hide details for Blair <blair_4@...>Blair <blair_4@...>

                        Blair <blair_4@...>
                        Sent by: dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com

                        02/14/2010 07:01 PM

                        Please respond to
                        dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com

                "dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com" <dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com>

[...]

                    dave.thomas at
                    ametek.com

[...]

                From everything I have been reading the scan speak tweeters have excellent dispersion so being 5-8 degrees below vertical axis I hope will not be a problem.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 14, 2010
                    That sounds like a very fair trade.... :-)

                      Message 9 of 10 , Feb 15, 2010
                      Hi Britton,

                      The Seas drivers are a good choice if you have not heard any, Dave has done an MTM with the Usher Mid/Woofer and a Seas hard dome tweeter. I have heard the individual drivers and the are excellent. I like the clarity of the hard dome and the Seas is not fatiguing. The bass from the Usher is excellent also. I have a 3-way with four 8" Dayton reference woofers, Seas Prestige and a Fountek ribbon. I attached PICs. I am putting feet on them, putting the crossover wires inside and making a Walnut cover for the crossover box. I will be selling these when I am done, for... $39,999.99, cheeper than the ones on the link, Boenicke Audio W20SE, you have, I bet they sound better. Actualy, Zaph says the Fountek sounds better than the Rall ribbon.

                      Anyway, if you want to here them your are welcome to. I should have them done by this weekend. I do like a three way better. I like to crank it up and multiple bass drivers done right, and Dave Thomas did it right, have low if no distortion.

                      Paul

                      To: dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 15, 2010
                        Dave,
                        I have the Usher/Seas HT system you designed. Towers would sound excellent and you could crank them.

                        To: dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com
                        CC: dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com
                        From: dave.thomas@...
                        Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 18:17:45 -0600