Re: [dallasaudioclub] FS Battery powered 6DJ8 preamp

  • Robert Cham
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 16, 2009
      Is this a phono preamp or one for line level sources w/ switching
      etc? If it's phono, does it support MC cartridges?

      Bob

      >Anyone interested in a 6DJ8 DIY battery powered preamp? It is not
      >really pretty (best suited for a rack and not display;), but it is
      >in a rack mount 2RU chassis. It runs off three SLA batteries, and
      >have a three position switch for on/off/charge.
      >
      >The charger is a 2A verion that drops to trickle after the batteries
      >take full charge. Once the switch is in the on position, the preamp
      >is completely disconnected from any earth ground.
      >
      >Asking: $300obo
      >
      >If you are interested in this, please let me know and I can either:
      >
      >A) set up a time for you to come by and demo it.
      >
      >B) send you pictures of the preamp.
      >
      >I recently sold an amp to a local member, and I do not think I would
      >be misquoting him by saying that he got a very good deal and is
      >impressed with the amplifier.
      >
      >This preamps sounds very good, and you would be hard pressed to DIY
      >this for close to $300 after shipping and all the odds and ends.
      >

      >Blair

    • grampa...
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 16, 2009
        Cool. Class A solid state. Below is a link to an early design that sounded mighty good. Should have kept it. So many toys, so little room in the home of a married man! Keep us informed on the sound.

        http://www.silverpioneer.netfirms.com/m22_amplifier.htm

        --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, Blair Chapman <blair_4@...> wrote:

        > I'll shoot a couple of pictures this evening of it, and post it.
        >

        > Sounds like a fun little project. I'm moving to the "dark side" for some with a pair of DIY 50w class A SS amps =O
        >

        > I should finish them soon.
        >

        > Blair
        >

        > To: dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com
        > From: jimrivers3@...
        > Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 17:15:21 +0000
        > Subject: [dallasaudioclub] Re: FS Battery powered 6DJ8 preamp
        >

        > Hey Blair, Post a photo on the home page if you wish. I want a look at it. Not to buy but am working on a DIY headphone amp with single ended output transformers.Tiny at an estimated 2 or 3 watts. jim...
        >
        > --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "blrchapman" <blair_4@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Anyone interested in a 6DJ8 DIY battery powered preamp? It is not really pretty (best suited for a rack and not display;), but it is in a rack mount 2RU chassis. It runs off three SLA batteries, and have a three position switch for on/off/charge.
        > >
        > > The charger is a 2A verion that drops to trickle after the batteries take full charge. Once the switch is in the on position, the preamp is completely disconnected from any earth ground.
        > >
        > > Asking: $300obo
        > >
        > > If you are interested in this, please let me know and I can either:
        > >
        > > A) set up a time for you to come by and demo it.
        > >
        > > B) send you pictures of the preamp.
        > >
        > > I recently sold an amp to a local member, and I do not think I would be misquoting him by saying that he got a very good deal and is impressed with the amplifier.
        > >
        > > This preamps sounds very good, and you would be hard pressed to DIY this for close to $300 after shipping and all the odds and ends.
        > >

        > > Blair

      • Blair Chapman
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 16, 2009
          It is line level. I do not own phono gear yet.

          Thanks,

          Blair

          To: dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com
          From: cham@...
          Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 11:30:15 -0600
          Subject: Re: [dallasaudioclub] FS Battery powered 6DJ8 preamp

          Is this a phono preamp or one for line level sources w/ switching
          etc? If it's phono, does it support MC cartridges?

          Bob

          >Anyone interested in a 6DJ8 DIY battery powered preamp? It is not
          >really pretty (best suited for a rack and not display;), but it is
          >in a rack mount 2RU chassis. It runs off three SLA batteries, and
          >have a three position switch for on/off/charge.
          >
          >The charger is a 2A verion that drops to trickle after the batteries
          >take full charge. Once the switch is in the on position, the preamp
          >is completely disconnected from any earth ground.
          >
          >Asking: $300obo
          >
          >If you are interested in this, please let me know and I can either:
          >
          >A) set up a time for you to come by and demo it.
          >
          >B) send you pictures of the preamp.
          >
          >I recently sold an amp to a local member, and I do not think I would
          >be misquoting him by saying that he got a very good deal and is
          >impressed with the amplifier.
          >
          >This preamps sounds very good, and you would be hard pressed to DIY
          >this for close to $300 after shipping and all the odds and ends.
          >

          >Blair

        • Blair Chapman
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 16, 2009
            I actually have everything. I'm just slacking on the assembly. I'm building a commisioned piece for a guy in GA right now.

            Blair

            To: dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com
            From: jimrivers3@...
            Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 17:32:58 +0000