RE: [dallasaudioclub] Re: FS Battery powered 6DJ8 preamp

  • Blair Chapman
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 16, 2009
      I'll shoot a couple of pictures this evening of it, and post it.

      Sounds like a fun little project. I'm moving to the "dark side" for some with a pair of DIY 50w class A SS amps =O

      I should finish them soon.

      Blair

      To: dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com
      From: jimrivers3@...
      Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 17:15:21 +0000
      Subject: [dallasaudioclub] Re: FS Battery powered 6DJ8 preamp

      Hey Blair, Post a photo on the home page if you wish. I want a look at it. Not to buy but am working on a DIY headphone amp with single ended output transformers. Tiny at an estimated 2 or 3 watts. jim...

      --- In dallasaudioclub@ yahoogroups. com, "blrchapman" <blair_4@... > wrote:

      > Anyone interested in a 6DJ8 DIY battery powered preamp? It is not really pretty (best suited for a rack and not display;), but it is in a rack mount 2RU chassis. It runs off three SLA batteries, and have a three position switch for on/off/charge.
      >
      > The charger is a 2A verion that drops to trickle after the batteries take full charge. Once the switch is in the on position, the preamp is completely disconnected from any earth ground.
      >
      > Asking: $300obo
      >
      > If you are interested in this, please let me know and I can either:
      >
      > A) set up a time for you to come by and demo it.
      >
      > B) send you pictures of the preamp.
      >
      > I recently sold an amp to a local member, and I do not think I would be misquoting him by saying that he got a very good deal and is impressed with the amplifier.
      >
      > This preamps sounds very good, and you would be hard pressed to DIY this for close to $300 after shipping and all the odds and ends.
      >

      > Blair

    • Robert Cham
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 16, 2009
        Is this a phono preamp or one for line level sources w/ switching
        etc? If it's phono, does it support MC cartridges?

        Bob

        >Anyone interested in a 6DJ8 DIY battery powered preamp? It is not
        >really pretty (best suited for a rack and not display;), but it is
        >in a rack mount 2RU chassis. It runs off three SLA batteries, and
        >have a three position switch for on/off/charge.
        >
        >The charger is a 2A verion that drops to trickle after the batteries
        >take full charge. Once the switch is in the on position, the preamp
        >is completely disconnected from any earth ground.
        >
        >Asking: $300obo
        >
        >If you are interested in this, please let me know and I can either:
        >
        >A) set up a time for you to come by and demo it.
        >
        >B) send you pictures of the preamp.
        >
        >I recently sold an amp to a local member, and I do not think I would
        >be misquoting him by saying that he got a very good deal and is
        >impressed with the amplifier.
        >
        >This preamps sounds very good, and you would be hard pressed to DIY
        >this for close to $300 after shipping and all the odds and ends.
        >

        >Blair

      • grampa...
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 16, 2009
          Cool. Class A solid state. Below is a link to an early design that sounded mighty good. Should have kept it. So many toys, so little room in the home of a married man! Keep us informed on the sound.

          http://www.silverpioneer.netfirms.com/m22_amplifier.htm

          --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, Blair Chapman <blair_4@...> wrote:

          > I'll shoot a couple of pictures this evening of it, and post it.
          >

          > Sounds like a fun little project. I'm moving to the "dark side" for some with a pair of DIY 50w class A SS amps =O
          >

          > I should finish them soon.
          >

          > Blair
          >

          > To: dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com
          > From: jimrivers3@...
          > Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 17:15:21 +0000
          > Subject: [dallasaudioclub] Re: FS Battery powered 6DJ8 preamp
          >

          > Hey Blair, Post a photo on the home page if you wish. I want a look at it. Not to buy but am working on a DIY headphone amp with single ended output transformers.Tiny at an estimated 2 or 3 watts. jim...
          >
          > --- In dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com, "blrchapman" <blair_4@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Anyone interested in a 6DJ8 DIY battery powered preamp? It is not really pretty (best suited for a rack and not display;), but it is in a rack mount 2RU chassis. It runs off three SLA batteries, and have a three position switch for on/off/charge.
          > >
          > > The charger is a 2A verion that drops to trickle after the batteries take full charge. Once the switch is in the on position, the preamp is completely disconnected from any earth ground.
          > >
          > > Asking: $300obo
          > >
          > > If you are interested in this, please let me know and I can either:
          > >
          > > A) set up a time for you to come by and demo it.
          > >
          > > B) send you pictures of the preamp.
          > >
          > > I recently sold an amp to a local member, and I do not think I would be misquoting him by saying that he got a very good deal and is impressed with the amplifier.
          > >
          > > This preamps sounds very good, and you would be hard pressed to DIY this for close to $300 after shipping and all the odds and ends.
          > >

          > > Blair

        • Blair Chapman
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 16, 2009
            It is line level. I do not own phono gear yet.

            Thanks,

            Blair

            To: dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com
            From: cham@...
            Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 11:30:15 -0600
            Subject: Re: [dallasaudioclub] FS Battery powered 6DJ8 preamp

            Is this a phono preamp or one for line level sources w/ switching
            etc? If it's phono, does it support MC cartridges?

            Bob

            >Anyone interested in a 6DJ8 DIY battery powered preamp? It is not
            >really pretty (best suited for a rack and not display;), but it is
            >in a rack mount 2RU chassis. It runs off three SLA batteries, and
            >have a three position switch for on/off/charge.
            >
            >The charger is a 2A verion that drops to trickle after the batteries
            >take full charge. Once the switch is in the on position, the preamp
            >is completely disconnected from any earth ground.
            >
            >Asking: $300obo
            >
            >If you are interested in this, please let me know and I can either:
            >
            >A) set up a time for you to come by and demo it.
            >
            >B) send you pictures of the preamp.
            >
            >I recently sold an amp to a local member, and I do not think I would
            >be misquoting him by saying that he got a very good deal and is
            >impressed with the amplifier.
            >
            >This preamps sounds very good, and you would be hard pressed to DIY
            >this for close to $300 after shipping and all the odds and ends.
            >

            >Blair

          • Blair Chapman
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 16, 2009
              I actually have everything. I'm just slacking on the assembly. I'm building a commisioned piece for a guy in GA right now.

              Blair

              To: dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com
              From: jimrivers3@...
              Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 17:32:58 +0000