Re: [dallasaudioclub] Audio Includes Home Theater

  • Blair
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 4, 2009
      I'll definitely agree with Dave here Paul. The Wadia sells for around $300 on audiogon, and is much cleaner than any diy effort. Plus, it has othe "fuller" features.

      Blair

      On Dec 4, 2009, at 7:00 PM, "Dave Thomas" <dave.thomas@...> wrote:

      I am not 100% sure but 99% sure that the effort is futile to DIY it. The IPOD has digital output in order for it to feed a standard DAC you would need to convert that to SPDIF. Unfortunately apple encrypts their digital output so unless you buy a license from Apple you are SOL.

      Why use an IPOD when you can put your music on a cheap PC with an appropriate HD and deliver cd quality audio output. You don't need a powerful processor just a good sound card and ample HD space and you have an excellent music server. One of the small laptops would be a good choice just strip all the applications but your music and you are good to go.
      <graycol.gif>Paul Stewart <musicman32150@hotmail.com>

              Paul Stewart <musicman32150@hotmail.com>
              Sent by: dallasaudioclub@ yahoogroups. com

              12/04/2009 06:13 PM

              Please respond to
              dallasaudioclub@ yahoogroups. com
      <ecblank.gif>
      <ecblank.gif>
      DAC <dallasaudioclub@ yahoogroups. com>
      <ecblank.gif>
      cc
      <ecblank.gif>
      <ecblank.gif>
      Subject
      <ecblank.gif>
      RE: [dallasaudioclub] Audio Includes Home Theater
      <ecblank.gif><ecblank.gif>

      I forgot, it is Steve. Bill gets all the blame and he should.

      Dave, if you run into the chip, let me know. I will Google the hell out of it this weekend. That would be nice to add that to my tube preamp, plenty of room.

      Right now I am listening to XMAS music on the line arrays. The wife and I are fighting over how much padding to put on the mid & tweeter, hence the three way switches.

      Paul

      To: dallasaudioclub@ yahoogroups. com
      From: dave.thomas@ametek.com
      Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 19:39:05 -0500
      Subject: Re: [dallasaudioclub] Audio Includes Home Theater

      You can do it but it needs to be converted SPDIF or optical. There are a couple of chips that do that. There may be a dock that does it I seem to recall one.

          From: blair_4@msn. com
          Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 14:16:54 +0000

          Hey Paul,

          I'm not sure if you can pull binary off the ipod, but I'm fairly certain you cannot unless you gut it and mod it.

          Use your PC is you want to do this. If you want tube sound, just use your Akido preamp with your ipod feeding it. Better yet, just build a tube circuit into an old CD player you have laying around. There are plenty of tubes that will run on 50-80v, and the tranny will be small.

          Chris has not joined the DAC group.

          Blair

          To: dallasaudioclub@ yahoogroups. com
          From: musicman32150@hotmail.com
          Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 22:48:04 -0600

          I will need two trucks to bring my line arrays.

          Chris is working on a tube DAC. I can't wait til he gets done with it so I can clone it. The wife and I like to listen to her IPod at night (could not sleep listening to mine) and I would like to pull the data+/- off the IPod and run it through a better DAC, or even my PC WAV files.

          He is close to being finished with it and the CD transport.

          Blair, has he joined this club?

          Paul

          To: dallasaudioclub@ yahoogroups. com
          From: jimrivers3@yahoo. com
          Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 03:01:00 +0000
          Subject: [dallasaudioclub] Audio Includes Home Theater

          And I would assume and hope Blair, Paul and David would agree. As far as I'm concerned both audio and video are welcome here. I can't live without my Onkyo receiver and 5.1 sound. But have managed to squeeze an audio tube system in the same room. They share digital switching for Internet Radio, CD and DVD. Since we've entered the new age of cell phones (and the lack of common courtesy), going to a movie and not having cell phones go off (and answered) or the bright lights of texting invade your personal space, I choose to watch movies at home most often. It's really been great. That array of of speakers must sound awsome! jim...

          Windows Live Hotmail gives you a free,exclusive gift. Click here to download.

          Get gifts for them and cashback for you. Try Bing now.

          Get gifts for them and cashback for you. Try Bing now.

      Windows Live Hotmail gives you a free,exclusive gift. Click here to download.

    • Dave Thomas
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 5, 2009

        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815293008&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Video+Devices+++TV+Tuners-_-ASUS-_-15293008

        You could get the data output feeding the IPOD's internal DAC and attempt to feed it to an external DAC assuming you can transport this signal reliably over a very short piece of CAT5 or something. Coax won't work unless you use multiples. Even then you will need to modify the DAC you want to feed it to accept the direct signal. But the question is why? The IPOD is limited to 192Kbps and won't support lossless formats. So at the end of the day all you have is a limited quality player that has an average life of maybe 2-3yrs. I think if you have the latest gen IPOD you can do lossless formats but they won't be playable on your IPOD as a portable player so you will fill up you IPOD HD with audio that can only be played through another DAC not to mention the fact that you now have a weird cord hanging out of your IPOD. Oh and did I mention you have to solder to a bunch of sub miniature surface mounted ICs... get out the filed down soldering iron and magnifying glasses.

        There are plenty of digital players out there that are compatible with lossless formats like FLAC they work over LANs so your PC can be a storage device. I think if you google around Sonus (sp) may even have some devices that are portable. The one at the link sells for under $100 has digital outputs if you want to use a better DAC and comes with the all important remote control. Your home PC acts as a server where it can retrieve via a wireless or wired LAN all of your music library. Not sure you could DIY anything even close.

        Inactive hide details for Blair <blair_4@...>Blair <blair_4@...>

                Blair <blair_4@...>
                Sent by: dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com

                12/04/2009 07:11 PM

                Please respond to

            To: dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com
            From: dave.thomas@ametek.com
            Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 19:39:05 -0500

        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 6, 2009

          I did see the WADIA (Met for audiophiles) dock for $375.00. I will just have to wait for China to duplicate it for much less.

          I do have a computer to finish building just for music. I just need look for some basic software to record all my CDs that will Tag all the info and be compatible with all the formats.

          There seems to be plenty of USB to optical. I just need to do it!

          To: dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com
          CC: dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com
          From: dave.thomas@...
          Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2009 09:20:49 -0600

          Inactive hide details for Blair <blair_4@...>Blair <blair_4@msn. com>

                  Blair <blair_4@msn. com>

              To: dallasaudioclub@ yahoogroups. com
              From: dave.thomas@ametek.com
              Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 19:39:05 -0500

                      From: jimrivers3@yahoo. com
                      Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 03:01:00 +0000

[...]

          Windows Liveā„¢ Hotmail is faster and more secure than ever. Learn more.