RE: [dallasaudioclub] Re: Audio Includes Home Theater

    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 2, 2009
      Speaking of HT.

      Any comments on the following: DVD-Audio, SACD, and Blu-Spec? I have not heard the latter, but the other two can be quite good. However, I have heard some so called "ReMastered" discs I wouldn't use as coasters.

      Speaking of which, Oscar, did I leave my Nora Jones SACD disc at your house in Ft Worth during the DIY? If so, I can send a self addressed envolope.

      Paul

      To: dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com
      From: jimrivers3@...
      Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 03:18:11 +0000
      Subject: [dallasaudioclub] Re: Audio Includes Home Theater

      Would love to hear your newest stuff. Thanks. jim...

      --- In dallasaudioclub@ yahoogroups. com, Blair <blair_4@... > wrote:

      > Of course! I'm into DIY. As long as there are speakers, I'm game. You
      > will have to come by and hear my system sometime. I'm up in McKinney
      > now. Just got my new speakers playing also. I personally think it
      > would be hard to beat this system without a LARGE bank account.
      >
      > Hope to see you soon!
      >
      > Blair
      >
      > On Dec 2, 2009, at 9:01 PM, "grampa..." <jimrivers3@ ...> wrote:
      >
      > > And I would assume and hope Blair, Paul and David would agree. As
      > > far as I'm concerned both audio and video are welcome here. I can't
      > > live without my Onkyo receiver and 5.1 sound. But have managed to
      > > squeeze an audio tube system in the same room. They share digital
      > > switching for Internet Radio, CD and DVD. Since we've entered the
      > > new age of cell phones (and the lack of common courtesy), going to a
      > > movie and not having cell phones go off (and answered) or the bright
      > > lights of texting invade your personal space, I choose to watch
      > > movies at home most often. It's really been great. That array of of
      > > speakers must sound awsome! jim...

      Get gifts for them and cashback for you. Try Bing now.
    • Blair Chapman
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 3, 2009
        Hey Paul,

        I'm not sure if you can pull binary off the ipod, but I'm fairly certain you cannot unless you gut it and mod it.

        Use your PC is you want to do this. If you want tube sound, just use your Akido preamp with your ipod feeding it. Better yet, just build a tube circuit into an old CD player you have laying around. There are plenty of tubes that will run on 50-80v, and the tranny will be small.

        Chris has not joined the DAC group.

        Blair

        To: dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com
        From: musicman32150@...
        Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 22:48:04 -0600
        Subject: RE: [dallasaudioclub] Audio Includes Home Theater

        I will need two trucks to bring my line arrays.

        Chris is working on a tube DAC. I can't wait til he gets done with it so I can clone it. The wife and I like to listen to her IPod at night (could not sleep listening to mine) and I would like to pull the data+/- off the IPod  and run it through a better DAC, or even my PC WAV files.

        He is close to being finished with it and the CD transport.

        Blair, has he joined this club?

        Paul

        To: dallasaudioclub@ yahoogroups. com
        From: jimrivers3@yahoo. com
        Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 03:01:00 +0000
        Subject: [dallasaudioclub] Audio Includes Home Theater

        And I would assume and hope Blair, Paul and David would agree. As far as I'm concerned both audio and video are welcome here. I can't live without my Onkyo receiver and 5.1 sound. But have managed to squeeze an audio tube system in the same room. They share digital switching for Internet Radio, CD and DVD. Since we've entered the new age of cell phones (and the lack of common courtesy), going to a movie and not having cell phones go off (and answered) or the bright lights of texting invade your personal space, I choose to watch movies at home most often. It's really been great. That array of of speakers must sound awsome! jim...

        Windows Live Hotmail gives you a free,exclusive gift. Click here to download.

        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 3, 2009
          It was actually all my doing. I wanted a place for all the monoblocks.

          All projects have been moved to the garage since I finally built a bench and work station out there.

          Blair

          To: dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com
          From: musicman32150@...
          Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 22:58:33 -0600

          Dam Blair, that looks good, all of it. Misty must have put the hammer down, I know Kim did. I am banned from doing any projects in the living room, except her's of coarse.

          Paul

          To: dallasaudioclub@ yahoogroups. com
          From: blair_4@msn. com
          Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 03:27:46 +0000
          Subject: RE: [dallasaudioclub] Re: Audio Includes Home Theater [2 Attachments]

          [Attachment(s) from Blair Chapman included below] Here is a grainy picture of the system with unfinished speakers.

          Blair

          To: dallasaudioclub@ yahoogroups. com
          From: jimrivers3@yahoo. com
          Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 03:18:11 +0000

          Would love to hear your newest stuff. Thanks. jim...

          --- In dallasaudioclub@ yahoogroups. com, Blair <blair_4@... > wrote:

          > Of course! I'm into DIY. As long as there are speakers, I'm game. You
          > will have to come by and hear my system sometime. I'm up in McKinney
          > now. Just got my new speakers playing also. I personally think it
          > would be hard to beat this system without a LARGE bank account.
          >
          > Hope to see you soon!
          >
          > Blair
          >
          > On Dec 2, 2009, at 9:01 PM, "grampa..." <jimrivers3@ ...> wrote:
          >
          > > And I would assume and hope Blair, Paul and David would agree. As
          > > far as I'm concerned both audio and video are welcome here. I can't
          > > live without my Onkyo receiver and 5.1 sound. But have managed to
          > > squeeze an audio tube system in the same room. They share digital
          > > switching for Internet Radio, CD and DVD. Since we've entered the
          > > new age of cell phones (and the lack of common courtesy), going to a
          > > movie and not having cell phones go off (and answered) or the bright
          > > lights of texting invade your personal space, I choose to watch
          > > movies at home most often. It's really been great. That array of of
          > > speakers must sound awsome! jim...

          Windows Live Hotmail gives you a free,exclusive gift. Click here to download.

          Chat with Messenger straight from your Hotmail inbox. Check it out

          Windows Live™ Hotmail is faster and more secure than ever. Learn more.
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 3, 2009
            I am sure Bill Gates has done something with the firm ware and/or software. I think theirs is Apple Lossless. If the IPod out puts data during playback, I am no even sure. That would be a good A/B switch for a DAC experiment.

            To: dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 3, 2009
              Steve Jobs, and yes there is some sort of decoding to pull the digital stream from what I understand.

              Blair

              To: dallasaudioclub@ yahoogroups. com

              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 3, 2009

                You can do it but it needs to be converted SPDIF or optical. There are a couple of chips that do that. There may be a dock that does it I seem to recall one.

                To: dallasaudioclub@ yahoogroups. com

                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 3, 2009
                  Yes. Wadia makes it.

                  Blair

                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 4, 2009
                    I forgot, it is Steve. Bill gets all the blame and he should.

                    Dave, if you run into the chip, let me know. I will Google the hell out of it this weekend. That would be nice to add that to my tube preamp, plenty of room.

                    Right now I am listening to XMAS music on the line arrays. The wife and I are fighting over how much padding to put on the mid & tweeter, hence the three way switches.

                    Paul

                    To: dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com
                    From: dave.thomas@...
                    Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 19:39:05 -0500

                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 4, 2009

                      I am not 100% sure but 99% sure that the effort is futile to DIY it. The IPOD has digital output in order for it to feed a standard DAC you would need to convert that to SPDIF. Unfortunately apple encrypts their digital output so unless you buy a license from Apple you are SOL.

                      Why use an IPOD when you can put your music on a cheap PC with an appropriate HD and deliver cd quality audio output. You don't need a powerful processor just a good sound card and ample HD space and you have an excellent music server. One of the small laptops would be a good choice just strip all the applications but your music and you are good to go.
                      Inactive hide details for Paul Stewart <musicman32150@...>Paul Stewart <musicman32150@...>

                              Paul Stewart <musicman32150@...>
                              Sent by: dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com

                              12/04/2009 06:13 PM

                              Please respond to
                              dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com

                      DAC <dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com>

                      cc

                      Subject

                      RE: [dallasaudioclub] Audio Includes Home Theater

                      To: dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com
                      From: dave.thomas@...
                      Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 19:39:05 -0500

                      Message 10 of 18 , Dec 4, 2009
                        I'll definitely agree with Dave here Paul. The Wadia sells for around $300 on audiogon, and is much cleaner than any diy effort. Plus, it has othe "fuller" features.

                        Blair

                        <graycol.gif>Paul Stewart <musicman32150@hotmail.com>

                                Paul Stewart <musicman32150@hotmail.com>
                                Sent by: dallasaudioclub@ yahoogroups. com

                                12/04/2009 06:13 PM

                                Please respond to
                                dallasaudioclub@ yahoogroups. com
                        <ecblank.gif>
                        <ecblank.gif>
                        DAC <dallasaudioclub@ yahoogroups. com>
                        <ecblank.gif>
                        cc
                        <ecblank.gif>
                        <ecblank.gif>
                        Subject
                        <ecblank.gif>
                        RE: [dallasaudioclub] Audio Includes Home Theater
                        <ecblank.gif><ecblank.gif>

                        To: dallasaudioclub@ yahoogroups. com
                        From: dave.thomas@ametek.com
                        Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 19:39:05 -0500

                        Message 11 of 18 , Dec 5, 2009

                          http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815293008&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Video+Devices+++TV+Tuners-_-ASUS-_-15293008

                          You could get the data output feeding the IPOD's internal DAC and attempt to feed it to an external DAC assuming you can transport this signal reliably over a very short piece of CAT5 or something. Coax won't work unless you use multiples. Even then you will need to modify the DAC you want to feed it to accept the direct signal. But the question is why? The IPOD is limited to 192Kbps and won't support lossless formats. So at the end of the day all you have is a limited quality player that has an average life of maybe 2-3yrs. I think if you have the latest gen IPOD you can do lossless formats but they won't be playable on your IPOD as a portable player so you will fill up you IPOD HD with audio that can only be played through another DAC not to mention the fact that you now have a weird cord hanging out of your IPOD. Oh and did I mention you have to solder to a bunch of sub miniature surface mounted ICs... get out the filed down soldering iron and magnifying glasses.

                          There are plenty of digital players out there that are compatible with lossless formats like FLAC they work over LANs so your PC can be a storage device. I think if you google around Sonus (sp) may even have some devices that are portable. The one at the link sells for under $100 has digital outputs if you want to use a better DAC and comes with the all important remote control. Your home PC acts as a server where it can retrieve via a wireless or wired LAN all of your music library. Not sure you could DIY anything even close.

                          Inactive hide details for Blair <blair_4@...>Blair <blair_4@...>

                                  Blair <blair_4@...>
                                  Sent by: dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com

                                  12/04/2009 07:11 PM

                                  Please respond to

                              To: dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com
                              From: dave.thomas@ametek.com
                              Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 19:39:05 -0500

                          Message 12 of 18 , Dec 6, 2009

                            I did see the WADIA (Met for audiophiles) dock for $375.00. I will just have to wait for China to duplicate it for much less.

                            I do have a computer to finish building just for music. I just need look for some basic software to record all my CDs that will Tag all the info and be compatible with all the formats.

                            There seems to be plenty of USB to optical. I just need to do it!

                            To: dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com
                            CC: dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com
                            From: dave.thomas@...
                            Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2009 09:20:49 -0600