RE: [dallasaudioclub] Line Arrays done PICs [4 Attachments]

  • Bill Brown
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 30, 2009
      Message
      Very nice...
      bet they sound awesome...

      -----Original Message-----
      From: dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com [mailto:dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Paul Stewart
      Sent: Monday, November 30, 2009 4:53 PM
      To: Bill W (Sarge) Brown; Chris Paulson; DAC; Danny Thia; Dave Thomas; Dave Thomas; hileman65@...; lee_roitberg@...; Mark Childs; panterragroup@...; Paul Stewart; ryckebusch@...; texcurrier@...; Blair Chapman; danny_thai.ametek@...; David Stewart; DIY Member; Keith Kidder; Shawn 1/1/6 Stewart239-601-3746
      Subject: [dallasaudioclub] Line Arrays done PICs [4 Attachments]

      Hi All,

      The wife is at a live Eagles concert in DTS 5.1 in our living room. The G.I. Joe BlueRay exceeds anything I have heard so far with the two 18" subs.

      The sound is unbelievable, clean, undistorted, wait, I think my ears are bleeding. It's OK, they fell off.  AUDIO Nirvana!!!

      Thanks Dave for your help on the crossovers!! He crossed them @750 and 7.5K . The AA drivers are not working near as hard, but the bass is still there, 40HZ and below. I like this prototype, won't change a thing.

      Paul

      P.S.

      Blair, could you forward this to the DAC club. I am having problems getting on the site, thanks.

    • Dave Thomas
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 1, 2009

        Just to correct one thing they are crossed at 825Hz and 5500Hz. I chose 5500Hz to minimize combing in the midrange line. Since the lines are of sufficient length to keep in you the nearfield of their polar response combing should be very minimal and for practical purposes inaudible. The line is SPL limited by the woofers line at around 130db and I would not recommend listening to them at this level.

        Here are measured responses I took during the design process. Below 300Hz is modeled because I measured these drivers indoors above that they are gated responses and should be very accurate. The woofer cabinet is tuned to 48Hz but since the line is so tall it couples with the room and will have response down into the 20Hz region.

        (See attached file: Paul Array AA Tang Band Dayton.GIF)
        Inactive hide details for Paul Stewart <musicman32150@...>Paul Stewart <musicman32150@...>

                Paul Stewart <musicman32150@...>

                11/30/2009 04:53 PM

        "Bill W (Sarge) Brown" <bill.w.brown@...>, Chris Paulson
        <akhilble@...>, DAC <dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com>, Danny Thia
        <danny.thai@...>, Dave Thomas <davethomas@...>, Dave Thomas
        <dave.thomas@...>, <hileman65@...>, <lee_roitberg@...>, Mark Childs <mdchilds@...>, "panterragroup@..." <panterragroup@...>, Paul Stewart
        <musicman32150@...>, "ryckebusch@..." <ryckebusch@...>, "texcurrier@..." <texcurrier@...>, Blair Chapman
        <blair_4@...>, <danny_thai.ametek@...>, David Stewart
        <suestew@...>, DIY Member <fredaudio@...>, Keith Kidder
        <kidder@...>, Shawn 1/1/6 Stewart239-601-3746
        <tattoo_stew@...>

        cc

        Subject

        Line Arrays done PICs

        Hi All,

        The wife is at a live Eagles concert in DTS 5.1 in our living room. The G.I. Joe BlueRay exceeds anything I have heard so far with the two 18" subs.

        The sound is unbelievable, clean, undistorted, wait, I think my ears are bleeding. It's OK, they fell off. AUDIO Nirvana!!!

        Thanks Dave for your help on the crossovers!! He crossed them @750 and 7.5K . The AA drivers are not working near as hard, but the bass is still there, 40HZ and below. I like this prototype, won't change a thing.

        Paul

        P.S.

        Blair, could you forward this to the DAC club. I am having problems getting on the site, thanks.

        Bing brings you maps, menus, and reviews organized in one place. Try it now.[attachment "101_0001.JPG" deleted by Dave Thomas/NY-ROC/Ametek] [attachment "101_0003.JPG" deleted by Dave Thomas/NY-ROC/Ametek] [attachment "101_0005.JPG" deleted by Dave Thomas/NY-ROC/Ametek] [attachment "101_0006.JPG" deleted by Dave Thomas/NY-ROC/Ametek]

      • Blair Chapman
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 1, 2009
          Actually, that will make it difficult to enjoy the hobby for much longer. I suppose if you are looking for an out, this si the way to go, but it also limits dinner conversation :) Maybe if you are looking for an out, and an excuse to ignore your wife.

          Hey, this is all shaping up to look pretty good!

          Blair

          Subject: RE: Line Arrays done PICs
          Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 16:43:36 +0000
          From: bill.w.brown@...
          To: Dave.Thomas@...; musicman32150@...
          CC: blair_4@...; dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com; danny_thai.ametek@...; davethomas@...; fredaudio@...; hileman65@...; lee_roitberg@...; mdchilds@...; musicman32150@...; panterragroup@...; ryckebusch@...; musicman32150@...; texcurrier@...

          130db… now that is what I am talking about… that will make room vibrate when the tripods are coming out of the ground in “war of the worlds”

          Bill Brown

          North Texas ER team lead

          Cell  214-869-9266

          Desk 972-385-9014

[...]

          Windows Live Hotmail gives you a free,exclusive gift. Click here to download.
        • skrogh

            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 1, 2009
              Bill, check out that G.I. Joe BluRay, 80% action.

              You can post on the HT forum, thanks.

[...]

              Windows Live™ Hotmail is faster and more secure than ever. Learn more.
            • grampa...
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 2, 2009
                Now that's what I call a WALL of sound. One photo now on the home page. Did I miss any mention of your rear channel set-up? Speaking of two subs, I now have that in my mini-theater room. Who would have thought two matched subs in a small room would have sounded different/better and... just more natural. Guess each sub has less work to do. jim...

                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 2, 2009
                  Oh, I forgot about the rear, one of my favorites.

                  Paul

                  To: dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com
                  From: jimrivers3@...
                  Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 13:35:59 +0000
                  Subject: [dallasaudioclub] Re: Line Arrays done PICs

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 4, 2010
                    Yeah, finally got high speed cable. Now I can see all y'all's pics. Happy New Year, everyone!