Re: [dallasaudioclub] Maggie bass panels

  • Robert Cham
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 16, 2009
      Re: [dallasaudioclub] Maggie bass panels
      John,

      You might be right.

      I did find that article from The Absolute Sound on the internet.  It does indeed talk about separate bass panels.  It appears that the Tympanis under discussion are the Is, so they couldn't be from the IIIs.   There was also a lot of talk about how much power was needed to drive the bass panels for a product that didn't exist, although it could well have been a prototype that was never sold.

      I also found a price list from Audio Research dated June 1, 1977 that did indeed have the Tympani III A which was a three way system, as well as a Tympani III TM which was a two panel Treble-midrange system.  There were also  Tympani III WA which was a bass panel or panels only.  I've also talked to people who claim to have owned pre-III separate bass panels.

      So, I can't sort it all out, but if anyone has separate bass panels for the I or III that they would like to sell, then I would be most pleased to hear from them.  I would really like a little more bass from my ICs without using a cone subwoofer.

      Thanks much for the info and the wish for luck.

      Bob

      Bob  I think the panels you are looking for were part of the Tympani III's or IIIa.  This was a system of 3 panels for the bass, and two panels on either side foe the mid and highs, I don't think this was ever marketed  as an item that could be purchased separately. I know mention was made in early Absolute Sound or Stereophile about how 1 of the reviewers used them , but even then I think he mentions he took them out of another system  I sold all these new and I just don't remember selling bass panels only. Good luck

      From: jvia@...
      Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 21:25:33 -0500

      And IF not an important if, but if, we could go ahead and do the spay it would be nice, she is staying outside at the moment cause she wants to, but the smell when she comes in is something fierce. But I do understand on that either way.
      From: blair_4@...
      Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 17:17:29 +0000

      Who is it? Andy Kreich?

      Blair

      To: ryckebusch@...; blair_4@...; danny.thai@...; davethomas@...; dave.thomas@...; mdchilds@...; panterragroup@...; musicman32150@...; texcurrier@...; dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com
      CC: hileman65@...
      From: musicman32150@...
      Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 11:34:52 -0500
      Subject: [dallasaudioclub] RE: DIY Event...

      Hi All,

      There is a guy coming from a HT Forum he lives in Austin and is looking for some one to cruse up with. They do a lot of PE parts and kits. He has some line arrays also, but no truck. This may turn into a late night or next day event.

      Paul

      P.S.

      If I miss an address please forward.

      Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 07:08:09 -0500
      Subject: Re: DIY Event...
      From: ryckebusch@...
      To: blair_4@...
      CC: panterragroup@...; texcurrier@...; mdchilds@...; davethomas@...; hileman65@...; musicman32150@...

      I have come up with a name for my amp. I am usin transformers for the power supply that are not center tapped out. So I am using two of them (cause I already have them!) One for the plus rail and one for the minus rail. Instead of building a Mono-Block amp I am building a .... Mono Rail amp. ONe separate supply for each rail. I can already think of the wonderful words to describe the audio characteristics of how separate supply rails will sound. Words such as clarity, distinctiveness. "It brought depth to the sonic wavefront as there was clear separation of the positive crests of the violin and the negative peak of the stand up bass". Joe Blow, Stereophile 2010. Yup Baby It is the Mono Rail!
      On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 11:07 PM, Blair <blair_4@...> wrote:
      If I get the kinks out, then I'll have two new amps as well. Much less power though. About 10w and 30w. I'll have plenty of other stuff too. Too much stuff!!!!

      Blair

      On Aug 13, 2009, at 9:30 PM, Jules Ryckebusch <ryckebusch@...> wrote:
      Not sure I will have my new amp done. If it is it will be pure breadboard/prototype. But... I have been listening to my three ways and they are pure audio bliss. I am bringing a CD to show case them that has everything from a few "angry white chicks" to some black sabbath and other assorted mayhem but it all sounds sooo good. Even a way over compressed No Doubt track "hey Baby"

      See you all there!

      Jules

      Get free photo software from Windows Live Click here.

      Get free photo software from Windows Live Click here.

      Express your personality in color! Preview and select themes for Hotmail®. Try it now.

      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 17, 2009
        A simple pair  open baffle array of P.A. bass / midbass  drivers should address this issue more efficiently / economically (assuming you can source something at the right price).

        To: dallasaudioclub@ yahoogroups. com
        From: jvia@mindspring. com
        Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 21:25:33 -0500

        From: blair_4@msn. com
        Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 17:17:29 +0000

        Who is it? Andy Kreich?

        Blair

        To: ryckebusch@gmail. com; blair_4@msn. com; danny.thai@7- 11.com; davethomas@grandeco m.net; dave.thomas@ ametek.com; mdchilds@bellhelico pter.textron. com; panterragroup@ mindspring. com; musicman32150@ hotmail.com; texcurrier@hotmail. com; dallasaudioclub@ yahoogroups. com
        CC: hileman65@yahoo. com

        Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 07:08:09 -0500
        From: ryckebusch@gmail. com
        To: blair_4@msn. com
        CC: panterragroup@ mindspring. com; texcurrier@hotmail. com; mdchilds@bellhelico pter.textron. com; davethomas@grandeco m.net; hileman65@yahoo. com; musicman32150@ hotmail.com

        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 17, 2009
          Re: [dallasaudioclub] Maggie bass panels
          I'm trying to get away from cone, or horn speakers here.  I really like the sound of planar speakers.

          Bob

          To: dallasaudioclub@ yahoogroups. com
          From: jvia@mindspring. com
          Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 21:25:33 -0500

          From: blair_4@msn. com
          Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 17:17:29 +0000

          Who is it? Andy Kreich?

          Blair

          To: ryckebusch@gmail. com; blair_4@msn. com; danny.thai@7- 11.com; davethomas@grandeco m.net; dave.thomas@ ametek.com; mdchilds@bellhelico pter.textron. com; panterragroup@ mindspring. com; musicman32150@ hotmail.com; texcurrier@hotmail. com; dallasaudioclub@ yahoogroups. com
          CC: hileman65@yahoo. com

          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 17, 2009
            Point noted. I was merely suggesting dipole / open baffle bass as a possible substitute to planar bass panels (as opposed to the more often heard application involving boxed speakers). Woofers used would ideally have Qts of 0.7 or above.

            Just my $0.02

            To: dallasaudioclub@ yahoogroups. com
            From: jvia@mindspring. com
            Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 21:25:33 -0500

            From: blair_4@msn. com
            Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 17:17:29 +0000

            Who is it? Andy Kreich?

            Blair

            To: ryckebusch@gmail. com; blair_4@msn. com; danny.thai@7- 11.com; davethomas@grandeco m.net; dave.thomas@ ametek.com; mdchilds@bellhelico pter.textron. com; panterragroup@ mindspring. com; musicman32150@ hotmail.com; texcurrier@hotmail. com; dallasaudioclub@ yahoogroups. com
            CC: hileman65@yahoo. com

            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 17, 2009
              Re: [dallasaudioclub] Maggie bass panels
              Understood.  Thanks for the input!

              Bob

              To: dallasaudioclub@ yahoogroups. com
              From: jvia@mindspring. com