RE: [dallasaudioclub] RE: DIY Event...

  • Robert Cham
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 15, 2009
      Hi guys,

      I'm looking for two pieces of equipment. Used would be fine, but I'm
      not finding the sources for used equipment on the internet that I
      used to. Perhaps e-bay has killed a lot of them.

      The first is a good vacuum operated record cleaning machine like the
      Keith Monks or the VPI. As I said used is fine and I'm not adverse
      to doing a little work to get it running properly, if it's cheap
      enough. I just don't know where to look.

      The second is the extra set of bass panels for the Maggie Tympani one
      series of speakers. I beleive that they were called the I Ws. Here
      I'm a little less happy about doing repair work, but I've done simple
      repairs on the Maggies before, so it's not out of the question.

      TIA for any sources of used equipment that you might be willing to share.

      Bob Cham
      Houston
    • Via
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 15, 2009
        Robert.
          I beleive the maggies you are looking for are 1U's  not W's though you can call Karen or Mike at Magnepan and they can verify this. I probably have access to a pair of 1U's I traded to a guy a year or so ago, they had 3 good panels and three in need of repair. Let me know if you would be interested, I had the original box as well

        John Via

        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 15, 2009
          How soon do you need it done?
          Paul

          Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 10:04:35 -0700
          From: dolan.james@...
          To: dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com; ryckebusch@...; blair_4@...; danny.thai@...; davethomas@...; dave.thomas@...; mdchilds@...; panterragroup@...; musicman32150@...; texcurrier@...
          CC: hileman65@...

          Hi, guys-- i've been a member here for a good while, but fairly inactive.  I've met some of ya, most i've not met.  I've been a follower and subscriber of Audiokarma.org for 6 years or so, if anybody follows that, I'm 'shrinkboy' there.  anyway....

          there is a looooongg ass thread there on AK called the Econowave speaker.  its a DIY project that repurposes existing cabinets with new or existing woofers and a JBL horn and a PE compression driver.  very, very popular thread.  i have a set of Altec Santana cabs that apparently are good for this project.  i have a set of JBL L14e woofs on the way, have yet to order the rest.

          OK, here's why i post.  these cabs will need new baffle boards cut, and i lack the tools, know how etc.  i will be happy to do chores, buy beer, pay $$ to someone that could help me cut accurate 12" and 3" circles in these baffles, along with a rectangular cutout for the wave guide, when the time comes.

          any takers?  and thanx for your consideration

          Jim Dolan
          Professional Coach to Legal and Medical Professionals
          Psychotherapist

          6310 LBJ Freeway, Suite 213
          Dallas Texas 75240

          vm-972 934 1283
          mobile 214 629 6315
          www.coach4lawyers.net
          www.coach4pros.blogspot.com

          Get free photo software from Windows Live Click here.
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 15, 2009
            Yes.

            To: dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com; ryckebusch@...; danny.thai@...; davethomas@...; dave.thomas@...; mdchilds@...; panterragroup@...; texcurrier@...
            CC: hileman65@...
            From: blair_4@...
            Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 17:17:29 +0000

            Who is it? Andy Kreich?

            Blair

            To: ryckebusch@gmail. com; blair_4@msn. com; danny.thai@7- 11.com; davethomas@grandeco m.net; dave.thomas@ ametek.com; mdchilds@bellhelico pter.textron. com; panterragroup@ mindspring. com; musicman32150@ hotmail.com; texcurrier@hotmail. com; dallasaudioclub@ yahoogroups. com
            CC: hileman65@yahoo. com
            From: musicman32150@ hotmail.com
            Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 11:34:52 -0500
            Subject: [dallasaudioclub] RE: DIY Event...

            Hi All,

            There is a guy coming from a HT Forum he lives in Austin and is looking for some one to cruse up with. They do a lot of PE parts and kits. He has some line arrays also, but no truck. This may turn into a late night or next day event.

            Paul

            P.S.

            If I miss an address please forward.

            Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 07:08:09 -0500
            Subject: Re: DIY Event...
            From: ryckebusch@gmail. com
            To: blair_4@msn. com
            CC: panterragroup@ mindspring. com; texcurrier@hotmail. com; mdchilds@bellhelico pter.textron. com; davethomas@grandeco m.net; hileman65@yahoo. com; musicman32150@ hotmail.com

            I have come up with a name for my amp. I am usin transformers for the power supply that are not center tapped out. So I am using two of them (cause I already have them!) One for the plus rail and one for the minus rail. Instead of building a Mono-Block amp I am building a .... Mono Rail amp. ONe separate supply for each rail. I can already think of the wonderful words to describe the audio characteristics of how separate supply rails will sound. Words such as clarity, distinctiveness. "It brought depth to the sonic wavefront as there was clear separation of the positive crests of the violin and the negative peak of the stand up bass". Joe Blow, Stereophile 2010. Yup Baby It is the Mono Rail!

            On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 11:07 PM, Blair <blair_4@msn. com> wrote:
            If I get the kinks out, then I'll have two new amps as well. Much less power though. About 10w and 30w. I'll have plenty of other stuff too. Too much stuff!!!!

            Blair

            On Aug 13, 2009, at 9:30 PM, Jules Ryckebusch <ryckebusch@gmail. com> wrote:

            Not sure I will have my new amp done. If it is it will be pure breadboard/prototyp e. But... I have been listening to my three ways and they are pure audio bliss. I am bringing a CD to show case them that has everything from a few "angry white chicks" to some black sabbath and other assorted mayhem but it all sounds sooo good. Even a way over compressed No Doubt track "hey Baby"

            See you all there!

            Jules

            Get free photo software from Windows Live Click here.

            Get free photo software from Windows Live Click here.

            Express your personality in color! Preview and select themes for Hotmail®. Try it now.
          • Via
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 15, 2009
              And IF not an important if, but if, we could go ahead and do the spay it would be nice, she is staying outside at the moment cause she wants to, but the smell when she comes in is something fierce. But I do understand on that either way.
              From: blair_4@msn. com
              Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 17:17:29 +0000

              Who is it? Andy Kreich?

              Blair

              To: ryckebusch@gmail. com; blair_4@msn. com; danny.thai@7- 11.com; davethomas@grandeco m.net; dave.thomas@ ametek.com; mdchilds@bellhelico pter.textron. com; panterragroup@ mindspring. com; musicman32150@ hotmail.com; texcurrier@hotmail. com; dallasaudioclub@ yahoogroups. com
              CC: hileman65@yahoo. com

              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 16, 2009
                My wife smells better after the procedure!
                Good Luck

                To: dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com
                From: jvia@...
                Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 21:25:33 -0500

                From: blair_4@msn. com
                Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 17:17:29 +0000

                Who is it? Andy Kreich?

                Blair

                To: ryckebusch@gmail. com; blair_4@msn. com; danny.thai@7- 11.com; davethomas@grandeco m.net; dave.thomas@ ametek.com; mdchilds@bellhelico pter.textron. com; panterragroup@ mindspring. com; musicman32150@ hotmail.com; texcurrier@hotmail. com; dallasaudioclub@ yahoogroups. com
                CC: hileman65@yahoo. com

                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 16, 2009
                  Just caught this my bad wrong group Great Dane I am fostering and just found a home for

                  To: dallasaudioclub@ yahoogroups. com
                  From: jvia@mindspring. com
                  Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 21:25:33 -0500

                  From: blair_4@msn. com
                  Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 17:17:29 +0000

                  Who is it? Andy Kreich?

                  Blair

                  To: ryckebusch@gmail. com; blair_4@msn. com; danny.thai@7- 11.com; davethomas@grandeco m.net; dave.thomas@ ametek.com; mdchilds@bellhelico pter.textron. com; panterragroup@ mindspring. com; musicman32150@ hotmail.com; texcurrier@hotmail. com; dallasaudioclub@ yahoogroups. com
                  CC: hileman65@yahoo. com

                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 16, 2009
                    Bob  I think the panels you are looking for were part of the Tympani III's or IIIa.  This was a system of 3 panels for the bass, and two panels on either side foe the mid and highs, I don't think this was ever marketed  as an item that could be purchased separately. I know mention was made in early Absolute Sound or Stereophile about how 1 of the reviewers used them , but even then I think he mentions he took them out of another system  I sold all these new and I just don't remember selling bass panels only. Good luck

                    To: dallasaudioclub@ yahoogroups. com
                    From: jvia@mindspring. com
                    Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 21:25:33 -0500

                    From: blair_4@msn. com
                    Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 17:17:29 +0000

                    Who is it? Andy Kreich?

                    Blair

                    To: ryckebusch@gmail. com; blair_4@msn. com; danny.thai@7- 11.com; davethomas@grandeco m.net; dave.thomas@ ametek.com; mdchilds@bellhelico pter.textron. com; panterragroup@ mindspring. com; musicman32150@ hotmail.com; texcurrier@hotmail. com; dallasaudioclub@ yahoogroups. com
                    CC: hileman65@yahoo. com

                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 16, 2009
                      Re: [dallasaudioclub] Maggie bass panels
                      John,

                      You might be right.

                      I did find that article from The Absolute Sound on the internet.  It does indeed talk about separate bass panels.  It appears that the Tympanis under discussion are the Is, so they couldn't be from the IIIs.   There was also a lot of talk about how much power was needed to drive the bass panels for a product that didn't exist, although it could well have been a prototype that was never sold.

                      I also found a price list from Audio Research dated June 1, 1977 that did indeed have the Tympani III A which was a three way system, as well as a Tympani III TM which was a two panel Treble-midrange system.  There were also  Tympani III WA which was a bass panel or panels only.  I've also talked to people who claim to have owned pre-III separate bass panels.

                      So, I can't sort it all out, but if anyone has separate bass panels for the I or III that they would like to sell, then I would be most pleased to hear from them.  I would really like a little more bass from my ICs without using a cone subwoofer.

                      Thanks much for the info and the wish for luck.

                      Bob

                      To: dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com
                      From: jvia@...
                      Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 21:25:33 -0500

                      From: blair_4@...
                      Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 17:17:29 +0000

                      Who is it? Andy Kreich?

                      Blair

                      To: ryckebusch@...; blair_4@...; danny.thai@...; davethomas@...; dave.thomas@...; mdchilds@...; panterragroup@...; musicman32150@...; texcurrier@...; dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com
                      CC: hileman65@...

                      Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 07:08:09 -0500
                      From: ryckebusch@...
                      To: blair_4@...
                      CC: panterragroup@...; texcurrier@...; mdchilds@...; davethomas@...; hileman65@...; musicman32150@...

                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 17, 2009
                        A simple pair  open baffle array of P.A. bass / midbass  drivers should address this issue more efficiently / economically (assuming you can source something at the right price).

                        To: dallasaudioclub@ yahoogroups. com
                        From: jvia@mindspring. com
                        Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 21:25:33 -0500

                        From: blair_4@msn. com
                        Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 17:17:29 +0000

                        Who is it? Andy Kreich?

                        Blair

                        To: ryckebusch@gmail. com; blair_4@msn. com; danny.thai@7- 11.com; davethomas@grandeco m.net; dave.thomas@ ametek.com; mdchilds@bellhelico pter.textron. com; panterragroup@ mindspring. com; musicman32150@ hotmail.com; texcurrier@hotmail. com; dallasaudioclub@ yahoogroups. com
                        CC: hileman65@yahoo. com

                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 17, 2009
                          Re: [dallasaudioclub] Maggie bass panels
                          I'm trying to get away from cone, or horn speakers here.  I really like the sound of planar speakers.

                          Bob

                          To: dallasaudioclub@ yahoogroups. com
                          From: jvia@mindspring. com
                          Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 21:25:33 -0500

                          From: blair_4@msn. com
                          Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 17:17:29 +0000

                          Who is it? Andy Kreich?

                          Blair

                          To: ryckebusch@gmail. com; blair_4@msn. com; danny.thai@7- 11.com; davethomas@grandeco m.net; dave.thomas@ ametek.com; mdchilds@bellhelico pter.textron. com; panterragroup@ mindspring. com; musicman32150@ hotmail.com; texcurrier@hotmail. com; dallasaudioclub@ yahoogroups. com
                          CC: hileman65@yahoo. com

                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 17, 2009
                            Point noted. I was merely suggesting dipole / open baffle bass as a possible substitute to planar bass panels (as opposed to the more often heard application involving boxed speakers). Woofers used would ideally have Qts of 0.7 or above.

                            Just my $0.02

                            To: dallasaudioclub@ yahoogroups. com
                            From: jvia@mindspring. com
                            Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 21:25:33 -0500

                            From: blair_4@msn. com
                            Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 17:17:29 +0000

                            Who is it? Andy Kreich?

                            Blair

                            To: ryckebusch@gmail. com; blair_4@msn. com; danny.thai@7- 11.com; davethomas@grandeco m.net; dave.thomas@ ametek.com; mdchilds@bellhelico pter.textron. com; panterragroup@ mindspring. com; musicman32150@ hotmail.com; texcurrier@hotmail. com; dallasaudioclub@ yahoogroups. com
                            CC: hileman65@yahoo. com

                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 17, 2009
                              Re: [dallasaudioclub] Maggie bass panels
                              Understood.  Thanks for the input!

                              Bob

                              To: dallasaudioclub@ yahoogroups. com
                              From: jvia@mindspring. com