      From: "Blair Chapman" <blair_4@...>
      To: "dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com" <dallasaudioclub@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [dallasaudioclub] Aikido preamp
      Date: Tue, Jun 4, 2013 12:08 AM

      Hi Rich,

      Have you tried to add 2-5K resistance to the output of the line stage or the grounded part of the pot? You could be making an oscillator at wide open.

      I'd love to hear your design. Where are you? I'm in McKinney.

      Blair

      On Jun 3, 2013, at 10:59 PM, "Rich Davis" <fly46davis@...> wrote:

      I built from scratch using a steel chassis and a power tranny I had on hand. Phonostage is a conventional dual triode with shund/shunt riaa filter interstage. Linestage is a common cathode dual triode with a little local neg feedback in the output. My goal was lots of headroom and a very low impedance output to swamp parasitic capacitances. Linestage is stunning with output impedance 2200 ohms at 400 cps going up to 8800 ohms at 20 cps, limited I think by the output cap. Phonostage is nice sounding but I've challenges chasing hum and a tendency to motorboat with both channels wide open. I used 5965s all the way around. My original idea was to use 5687s on the output, and I still might, but they are terrible current hogs.

      Audio Expressed is interested in the article if I ever finish it.

      Best regards,
      Rich Davis